OT: Who do you think is the Bruins best fighter?

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
As an aside, I haven't seen the milestone mentioned, last night was Thorts' 101 fight as a Bruin.

From week ahead:
FIGHT CLUB: In Tuesday’s game against the Florida Panthers on March 4, Shawn Thornton recorded his 100th regular season fight as a Boston Bruin. He took up arms with Florida’s Krys Barch, which marked his eighth fight with the Florida winger, and tied the most times he’s dropped the gloves with one player. The Bruins Bruiser also has eight career fights with Islander’s Eric Boulton.

acr*

Thornton may be one of the best all time technical fighters in the history of the league. He knows his craft and takes it seriously. He is older now and slowing down. He doesn't have the same strength he did even a couple of seasons back and truthfully, he hasn't been the same since the Scott KO. His card has been awful since then and he won't open up.

Chara has size and that is it. He has terrible balance and has bailed against a almost all top fighters he has gone with. That said, he can beat most anyone smaller than him and can hold his own with most guys that know what they are doing.

McQuaid doesn't have the strength or the refinement to be considered a top dog. He is a top light heavyweight in the league, but a notch below some of the truly dangerous guys. Ultimate team guy though and will fight anyone.

If Lucic fought 12-20 times in a season, he could be champ. He is probably a top 5 guy in the league right now, maybe 10 depending on who you ask. At this point, I think he handily beats any of his teammates. When motivated, there are probably only 10-15 guys in the league that could hang in with him.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
To those of you who voted Thorton. Do you actually watch his fights? He is a TERRIBLE fighter now. He's great for giving energy but he pretty much just ties the guy up now which is reasonable since he's typically a lot older and gives up size to everyone he fights. I commend him on what he does. But by no means is he a good fighter.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
best fighter is thornton. He's the only one who has no problem punching someone without any emotion involved, and is able to fight just for the art of fighting. lucic usually needs to be angry in order to win, and mcquaid will pretty much only fight if he is angry. An angry mcquaid though is one scary dude, remember that "fight" he had against raffi torres around christmas a few years ago. Fight isn't the right word. It was one man pummeling another man against his wishes. All stemmed from torres clothes-lining ference. He hasn't been as intense ever since that neck injury though, so my order is

thornton
lucic
mcquaid
chara
miller

campbell

campbell is more of someone who fights, not exactly a "fighter." pretty sure he has never won

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
To whoever said mcquaid could beat chara cmon he would get rag dolled. Also can we please leave Campbell alone . I get the fact he loses 90 percent of his fights but to think pallie or Kelly or some of these other guys can beat him cmon. A lot of guys here seem to pay no attention to opponents , Cambell actually fights a very impressive list of opponents and actually doesn't do a bad job. If he spent all his time fighting pyatt you guys would think he is great. I do understand Pallie actually has an impressive opponent card but outside of jovanovski there wasn't much time involved or punches in the fights.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Caron AINEC. He tuned up Bortuzzo earlier in the year. ;)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It's Chara.
I'll take the word of 29 enforcers in a HN article a year ago. They were all asked to name toughest opponent to fight. Chara was top 3 for all 29. That's enough for me.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'd take a mad Looch over any other Bruin any day of the week. He has good technical skill and can take a punch. Chara would be more formidable if he had better balance in fights, fought more, and actually fought mad. It seems like he holds something back when he fights. Thornton has lost something as of late when he fights. Still a very solid fighter though. In his heyday I would pick him over Looch.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Chara,could beat the piss out of 99% of the league if he wasn't so clumsy. Lucic's just one of about 30 or so and Thornton one of about 20.

Chieftans22*

McQuaid or Lucic. Lucic is a heavy hand and I think he wins.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well said. Lucic could fight every game, but to what end? Sometimes it's called for, most of the time it isn't. Same with Chara.

I love the weird grin McQuaid gets on his face when he fights. Thornton will fight because it's his job, and I think he also appreciates the technical side. Adam just likes to pound the crap out of someone. :laugh:

That is not a friendly smile. :naughty: In truth Adam has such a sweet face it's hard to believe he is such a tough guy.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
To those of you who voted Thorton. Do you actually watch his fights? He is a TERRIBLE fighter now. He's great for giving energy but he pretty much just ties the guy up now which is reasonable since he's typically a lot older and gives up size to everyone he fights. I commend him on what he does. But by no means is he a good fighter.
Actually, when I see Thornton fighting, along with others, I might add, I sit in my seat. You can see just as much there, looking at the arena monitor
than standing up, screaming for your guy to concuss his opponent.

It's rather comical; Thorts challenges the other guy; they swing and usually miss, and then embrace. Linesmen step in, fracas over, skate to the penalty bench...time for commercial break.:)

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
best fighter is thornton. He's the only one who has no problem punching someone without any emotion involved, and is able to fight just for the art of fighting. lucic usually needs to be angry in order to win, and mcquaid will pretty much only fight if he is angry. An angry mcquaid though is one scary dude, remember that "fight" he had against raffi torres around christmas a few years ago. Fight isn't the right word. It was one man pummeling another man against his wishes. All stemmed from torres clothes-lining ference. He hasn't been as intense ever since that neck injury though, so my order is

thornton
lucic
mcquaid
chara
miller

campbell

campbell is more of someone who fights, not exactly a "fighter." pretty sure he has never won

This is what separates enforcers from who is the toughest when provoked. McQuaid, Lucic and Chara are scarier than Thorton, but it takes a special breed to abide by the code on a night in and night out basis. When you throw in Campbell, Iginla, Boychuck the B's team toughness is what gives them the edge against most teams.

If I had to choose the toughest under the right conditions, I have never seen Chara lose a fight, Lucic is usually dominant followed by McQuaid. As an earlier poster mentioned, McQuaid's psycho smile when he loses his mind is awesome. His dismantling of Torres is one of my all time favorites, but he has taken a beating against some of the true heavy weights.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It's Chara.
I'll take the word of 29 enforcers in a HN article a year ago. They were all asked to name toughest opponent to fight. Chara was top 3 for all 29. That's enough for me.

I believe it. He's scarey enough when he's NOT fighting, and he usually doesn't fight unless he's really pissed off. Just being on the ice with a pissed-off Chara would be enough to make most opposing players wet their pants. :help:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I guarantee* it's Chara.

*It's easy to guarantee something that is unprovable, which is why I guarantee it.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Whether or not Chara technically is the best fighter on the Bruins is kind of a mute point.I think he is probably the most feared physical specimen in the entire NHL.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Thornton is a concussion away from his career likely being over. His fight style is more defensive now than ever. Get in tight, grab on and do everything you can not to get hit. You don't win too many fights that way. He will land some upper cuts on lesser opponents and get some narrow decisions but will never decisively end a bout or fair will against the heavyweights in the league.

Lucic is clearly disinterested in fighting lately, thus his lackluster performance in his last few bouts. He's probably being told not to fight as well. Shame. The kid can chuck em. Has amateur boxing background an a chin made of granite. Gazdic clocked him flush (a punch that has dropped numerous opponents this year) and Lucic didn't even flinch. When Lucic is MAD he is the best fighter on this team and one of the best in the league.

Chara is NOT a fighter. His sheer size and strength can be scary, but his lack of balance will prevent him from ever being able to trade with the heavy weight's of this league. Sure he can rag doll the McCabe's and Lecavalier's and yes we all know he bloodied Koci's nose. Big deal. We really shouldn't base his fighting prowess based on those 3 fights that are ancient history.

McQuaid is probably the best fighter this team has nowadays if he can stay healthy. He's got a real mean streak in him and loves to throw em. He's a top middleweight for sure. If he ever fills out fully and can hit the 230lb mark, this kid would be a contender in the heavy weight division for sure. Never a boring fight with Lone Wolf.

Miller is definitely strong. Big solid kid. Looks like a good prospect in the fisticuffs department but would have to see a lot more to be able to judge fairly.

Gregory Campbell, for those who have played Mike Tyson's punchout, is the Glass Joe of the NHL. He is the FIRST (like Glass Joe) to take on anyone in this game. But his 1 win an 99 losses record is eerily similar to Joe in every way.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I said Thornton, for being the best at winning fights. He has been under-sized for most of the fights in his career, but has gotten the decision in most. Skills. There was a time when it seemed he almost never lost. Always a step ahead...and ready with a counter you, and the opponent, didn't expect. If we were to discuss who is our most "scary" fighter...or who "players least want to fight"...I would go another direction. But Thornton is IMO the best at fighting. I'm sure he has taught everyone on the team a thing or two about the art form.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Thornton is a concussion away from his career likely being over. His fight style is more defensive now than ever. Get in tight, grab on and do everything you can not to get hit. You don't win too many fights that way. He will land some upper cuts on lesser opponents and get some narrow decisions but will never decisively end a bout or fair will against the heavyweights in the league.

Lucic is clearly disinterested in fighting lately, thus his lackluster performance in his last few bouts. He's probably being told not to fight as well. Shame. The kid can chuck em. Has amateur boxing background an a chin made of granite. Gazdic clocked him flush (a punch that has dropped numerous opponents this year) and Lucic didn't even flinch. When Lucic is MAD he is the best fighter on this team and one of the best in the league.

Chara is NOT a fighter. His sheer size and strength can be scary, but his lack of balance will prevent him from ever being able to trade with the heavy weight's of this league. Sure he can rag doll the McCabe's and Lecavalier's and yes we all know he bloodied Koci's nose. Big deal. We really shouldn't base his fighting prowess based on those 3 fights that are ancient history.

McQuaid is probably the best fighter this team has nowadays if he can stay healthy. He's got a real mean streak in him and loves to throw em. He's a top middleweight for sure. If he ever fills out fully and can hit the 230lb mark, this kid would be a contender in the heavy weight division for sure. Never a boring fight with Lone Wolf.

Miller is definitely strong. Big solid kid. Looks like a good prospect in the fisticuffs department but would have to see a lot more to be able to judge fairly.

Gregory Campbell, for those who have played Mike Tyson's punchout, is the Glass Joe of the NHL. He is the FIRST (like Glass Joe) to take on anyone in this game. But his 1 win an 99 losses record is eerily similar to Joe in every way.

So much respect for Soupy. Always willing. Doesn't back down. Gotta LOVE the effort. The guys and the fans have to admire his willingness to step up and always be the player he is, no matter the result. Showing up is half of it...he leaves a definite message by landing a few. :toothless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad