Who do you think is most likely to be dealt?

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
Loui is anything but soft. Is he overly physical? No, but he is one of the few forwards that got to the front of the net with regularity and got a good number of greasy goals. That takes guts and he's got plenty IMO.

I'm all for trading Loui because IMO I've seen nothing thusfar that shows he fits well with either Bergy or Krejci so 4.25m in my eyes is a little rich for the 3rd line and he should garner a decent return, but he is definitely not a soft player.

That said I'd be open to trading anyone on the roster not named Bergy, Pasta, Hamilton or Rask if the return were right.

Excellent points. Loui is also tough in the corners, a la Bergeron. He doesn't ever blast people, but he digs for the puck and comes out with it, or at least dishes it to the center, more times than not.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Excellent points. Loui is also tough in the corners, a la Bergeron. He doesn't ever blast people, but he digs for the puck and comes out with it, or at least dishes it to the center, more times than not.

He was a force along the boards and mostly made a smart pass after gaining possession.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
If the Bruins can get Kelly and Seids off the books, and find taht second pair D man alongside resigning dougie, spoons, and connolly, then I'd be content with where the team is, provided some of the younger players step up on the bottom two lines.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Agree with the recent sentiment on Loui. I like him. Not bruisingly tough but tough in his own way. Pots some goals. Plays 2 ways.

However, I'd be open to trading anyone.

Bergie? My favorite current B, but yeah, for the right return.

Hamilton? Yup, frustrates the hell outta me and not sure he's ever gonna have the impact that some are hoping for.

Rask? Yeah, in the right deal, I do it.

If it makes the team significantly better long-term I do it. If it's marginal, then no.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I try to value age/potential over anything when it comes to offloading and freeing up space

Therefore the order I dump the garbage is:
Kelly
Seidenberg
Smith
Eriksson, Lucic

Kelly can go for a 7th rounder for all I care. It's like taking over a government office. Just clean house. You have no use for the previous managements favorites and bad decisions. Eat the loss and give some time to youngins

One problem is that our defense has alot rolling on Seidenberg and those old knees. If he stays and is good then our defense is looking alright, assuming health from Chara and improvement from Hamilton. If he stays and he sucks then we take a step back in the top 4 D. If we trade him then we are in the same spot but got some assets. At this point in his career he is only a top 3 or 4 at best. Gone are the days of us thinking he was a real #2. 4million isn't that bad of a deal for him. Our defense is atrocious without Chara and I don't think Seidenberg is as bad as he was when he was all alone last year. Let's hope he keeps his head above water

Smith is a tough one for me. I like to think of him as a good asset for us. He needs to show improvement next year and then I really like him. He's young and signed for two years. I see him like a lesser version of Saad supplementing the main forward depth. Hopefully he can be a good cost controlled depth player. But if he is still inconsistent and not showing us much, he may have to go eventually.

At this point I wonder if Erikssons consistency and more passive style of play will last longer and be at a more reasonable cap hit than Lucic. I just think of Clarkson, Clowe, those power forward types that just disappear and I shudder.
I would almost rather take Eriksson from age 29-35 @ 5.5mil than Lucic from 27-32 @7mil

I know I added a couple more opinions than what was asked on the poll, but I thought it was relevant enough

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If Seids is dealt, it's because they want to give his 4M to someone else.

Loui/Lucic will either sign an extension or be traded before the deadline.

That makes Loui and Seids most likely to be moved that Lucic.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Loui to me represents everything that is wrong with the Bruins. A soft player with middle of the road talent that shows zero passion and just brings very little to the table. Yes he kills penalties well, sometimes he shows good offensive skills. He isn't fast or physical, overly skilled or gritty. He is just there.

I like Smith much less for many of the same reasons but Smith looks even lazier to me.

Loui Eriksson is just a soft third line player who isn't skilled enough, tough enough or competitive enough.

Far be it from me to say you can't dislike LE21. However, show me a single player on Boston's current roster that goes to the front of the net more than he does. Hint: you can't.

Obviously he's not a power forward, but soft flower petals usually aren't found on that part of the ice.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If Seids is dealt, it's because they want to give his 4M to someone else.

Loui/Lucic will either sign an extension or be traded before the deadline.

That makes Loui and Seids most likely to be moved that Lucic.

I wouldn't mind if the Bruins don't get much back at all for Seids as it will mostly be a salary dump.

If people want the team to be good next year then they should keep Loui and get rid of Seidenberg. If people want to worry about a few seasons in the future then trading Loui for decent picks or prospects would be beneficial.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Smith is a tough one for me. I like to think of him as a good asset for us. He needs to show improvement next year and then I really like him. He's young and signed for two years. I see him like a lesser version of Saad supplementing the main forward depth...
Smith is a much, much, much lesser version of Saad.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It seems like some people are turned off by Loui simply because he doesn't "play angry."

The guy seems to do everything else pretty well...he chips in, in many different ways. Good player.

I just want to move him because he has good value and he doesn't fit/and or/ there's a reluctance to use him on the top lines.

Smith..........well, he's just a poor player, that has some value because he puts the puck in the net once every 2 weeks. He literally does nothing else. I'd almost feel bad for whoever we move him to...almost. haha

If the Bruins can get something good for Smith, they are winning 2-fold, addition by subtraction and help fill a need.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The general wisdom seems to be moving Seids in some form of salary dump...?...

When we replace him with a 3/4 defenseman how much of Seids 4m per contract are you looking to save?

Defense salaries are pretty crazy high these days.

Seems like a lot of work...for not a lot of savings...if any...

IMO the Bruins won't create another hole/need by selling low on Seids. They'll go with him this year and hope he bounces back. Donnie's got enough spots to fill...he doesn't need to create another for minimal return.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Smith is a much, much, much lesser version of Saad.

Oh I know that. Maybe I should have emphasized it more. But my point was that he is a younger player hopefully providing scoring depth to the core. Like Toffoli in LA. It helps to have some young guys chipping in on their RFA years before they blow up like Saad is about to. But if Smith turns out to only be a 40-50pt player max, well there is room on teams for guys like that. We have trouble fitting under the cap to begin with

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My gut tells me Marchand.

Not sure why, although it often tends to be kind of an "out of the blue" situation.

Everyone is talking about Looch, Loui, Smith, and oddly there has been little mention of Marchand.

To me, he's very marketable. Young, kills penalties, reasonable contract through '16-'17, scores 95% of his goals at even strength.

I think he could be the one to bring back the best return.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Not sure why, although it often tends to be kind of an "out of the blue" situation.

Everyone is talking about Looch, Loui, Smith, and oddly there has been little mention of Marchand.

To me, he's very marketable. Young, kills penalties, reasonable contract through '16-'17, scores 95% of his goals at even strength.

Of course every reason you cite is a reason to keep Marchand.

This team can't afford to deal players who are more valuable than their contract, unless someone blows them away with an offer, and I suspect that offer isn't coming for Marchand

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I hope not.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Of course every reason you cite is a reason to keep Marchand.

This team can't afford to deal players who are more valuable than their contract, unless someone blows them away with an offer, and I suspect that offer isn't coming for Marchand

Marchand is signed for 2 more years at 4.5M. You only deal him if another team comes with an offer you can't refuse.

After Kelly who should be moved for Cap reason and to a degree Seids for the same reason, Lucic and Loui are first in line to be traded if they don't sign an extension at the leatest the deadline. Losing either for nothing would be a pure fail by Sweeney.

Lucic and Loui will either sign an extension or be traded. Ideally, a decision should be made reguarding these two very soon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Marchand is signed for 2 more years at 4.5M. You only deal him if another team comes with an offer you can't refuse.

After Kelly who should be moved for Cap reason and to a degree Seids for the same reason, Lucic and Loui are first in line to be traded if they don't sign an extension at the leatest the deadline. Losing either for nothing would be a pure fail by Sweeney.

Lucic and Loui will either sign an extension or be traded. Ideally, a decision should be made reguarding these two very soon.

I believe Kelly could get a 3rd pick for the B`s, 4 at worst, I`d move him first, clear some space up

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It seems like some people are turned off by Loui simply because he doesn't "play angry."

The guy seems to do everything else pretty well...he chips in, in many different ways. Good player.

I just want to move him because he has good value and he doesn't fit/and or/ there's a reluctance to use him on the top lines.

Smith..........well, he's just a poor player, that has some value because he puts the puck in the net once every 2 weeks. He literally does nothing else. I'd almost feel bad for whoever we move him to...almost. haha

If the Bruins can get something good for Smith, they are winning 2-fold, addition by subtraction and help fill a need.

That's fair, maybe he isn't Kessel/Janney soft but he doesn't seem to have any anger or fire in him. I prefer my players to be angry and play with a chip on their shoulder and that isn't Loui.

Still think he is an overpaid third liner and along with Smith and Kelly should be looking for a new address as soon as possible.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
That's fair, maybe he isn't Kessel/Janney soft but he doesn't seem to have any anger or fire in him. I prefer my players to be angry and play with a chip on their shoulder and that isn't Loui.

Still think he is an overpaid third liner and along with Smith and Kelly should be looking for a new address as soon as possible.

Of ALL players in the NHL in the last 5 years (that includes the guys who've played 10 games in 2010 and guys who are rookies this year), Eriksson is 64th in points per game, ahead of guys like: Jeff Carter, Milan Lucic, Joffrey Lupul, Gabriel Landeskog, Alex Semin, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ryan Kesler, Tomas Plekanec, David Backes, Paul Stastny, etc, etc, etc.

How in the **** do you think:

1) He's overpaid (when every guy I listed gets paid more than him right now)

2) That he's a third liner (I highly, highly doubt you consider any of the guys above 3rd liners. If you do, you have a weird definition of that term)

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Of ALL players in the NHL in the last 5 years (that includes the guys who've played 10 games in 2010 and guys who are rookies this year), Eriksson is 64th in points per game, ahead of guys like: Jeff Carter, Milan Lucic, Joffrey Lupul, Gabriel Landeskog, Alex Semin, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Ryan Kesler, Tomas Plekanec, David Backes, Paul Stastny, etc, etc, etc.

How in the **** do you think:

1) He's overpaid (when every guy I listed gets paid more than him right now)

2) That he's a third liner (I highly, highly doubt you consider any of the guys above 3rd liners. If you do, you have a weird definition of that term)

Alex Semin is a special kind of hideous but otherwise I would take any of them (with the possible exception of Joffrey Lupul) over Loui. Maybe it's the lack of anger, lack of hitting, lack of intensity, the big return in one of the worst trades in hockey history or just a poor fit with Bergeron and Krecji but he reminds me of a better P.J. Axelsson.

The numbers you quote prove different and that he is effective but I just don't see it watching him. Between him and Lucic I would take Lucic any day of the week.

Until I see something resembling intensity or anger or initiating physical play I will feel the way I do. I just don't like the player.

Number aside are you telling me you wouldn't trade Loui for Backes or Kesler straight up today?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

There are few players in this league who play with any anger or fire in them consistently and those who do aren`t usually on the block to be moved by their teams

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Alex Semin is a special kind of hideous but otherwise I would take any of them (with the possible exception of Joffrey Lupul) over Loui. Maybe it's the lack of anger, lack of hitting, lack of intensity, the big return in one of the worst trades in hockey history or just a poor fit with Bergeron and Krecji but he reminds me of a better P.J. Axelsson.

The numbers you quote prove different and that he is effective but I just don't see it watching him. Between him and Lucic I would take Lucic any day of the week.

Until I see something resembling intensity or anger or initiating physical play I will feel the way I do. I just don't like the player.

Number aside are you telling me you wouldn't trade Loui for Backes or Kesler straight up today?

The problem is that you won't get those players, we have eriksson and let's be happy with it.
Eriksson has a strong 2way game and brings offense, I'm fine with him in the lineup.

And I wouldn't take Backes for Lou.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I think Lucic brings back dramatically more than Eriksson, and that is trying to not let my intense dislike of Eriksson as a player cloud my judgement. I believe Lucic gets you a Kelser like return, NHL ready prospect, another high prospect and a first, Eriksson you would be lucky to get one of those things in return.

Sorry, I missed the notification on my phone when the Bruins resigned Lucic for 6 years at $4.5m per year. :sarcasm:

No way he nets you that for a year/rental going at UFA for $7.5m or more.

(still think Loui is the most likely to be dealt of those three, don't think any of them is going to be - and think, and hope, Lucic has a big rebound year; as well as Seids)

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

Don't get me wrong on this, there are certainly guys on that list that would take over Loui. I would certainly take Backes or Kesler over Loui.

And you're certainly within reason and right to not like the player. You can choose to dislike his style of play, I completely understand that.

But I'm just frustrated with the notion that he is 1) overpaid and 2) a 3rd liner. They just aren't true. He doesn't play the game the way you enjoy it. That's perfectly fine. But he does produce. And that has value throughout the league. I'm all for trading Loui this offseason, but it's because I think he has legitimate value, and it would get you a valuable return to help this team. I'm certainly not trading him for cap space, though. By dealing him, you can acquire a bit of cap room but also a potential impact player.

I think he's a great fit on these new styles of teams that are shifting away from that physical aspect. I'm okay with Boston keeping him because I appreciate the little things he does and think he'd produce just fine if they actually played him with Krejci. But I'd look at a fringe playoff team like Winnipeg/Calgary/Ottawa and try to get an impact player on the back end in return on a reasonable cap number. Some have more guys available than others, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad