Who do you take UFA - McDavid for 4 years, or MacKinnon for 7 years?

Who do you prefer as UFA for this year - assuming both cap hits are top 2 in league

• Total voters

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
What are we trying to do here? McDavid is the best player in the league. We all know this.

I’m not sure why there’s a need to bring up three playoff games from MacKinnon’s 18-year old rookie season to add weight to the argument.
He’s pissed that the Avs own the Bruins as of late.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
MacKinnon. More chances, plus...

McDavid is fantastic but his individual success has yet to show it can be the driver for a team’s success.

MacKinnon is much the opposite. He has a notably weaker argument for better overall player but has shown to consistently drive team success as his individual success occurs.

I know it’s a team sport, but your centerpiece is a huge part of that. Having MVP statistical seasons while not sniffing the playoffs is a red flag

Especially in a situation where you have only four shots with them. Not only is it nearly double the chances more significant, but I feel MacKinnon has been better at elevating his team success relative to his individual success even as a worse player in general.

My opinion, of course.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd easily take mcdaivd on my team, especially if that means running eichel as 2c

Oloffson-Mcdavid-Reinhart
Skinner-Eichel-Cozens

I know this is going off on a bit of a tangent - but I get the feeling Eichel would not be happy playing as a 2C, even if it means he has McDavid as a teammate. Compare that to Malkin who played behind Crosby his whole career, somehow, i just don't think Eichel would like that..

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If both players want to sign with my team, I'll go ahead and assume I'm a powerhouse team to begin with. Maybe my 1C just retired and I need a new one or something. Either way - McDavid.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
MacKinnon when facing elimination:

5 GP: 0 G, 1 A, -7

Adding in the games where the Avs can eliminate another team:

7 GP: 0 G, 4 A, -10

These stats suggest that Mackinnon is not a clutch player, which wasn’t my point.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

McDavid is fantastic but his individual success has yet to show it can be the driver for a team’s success.

MacKinnon is much the opposite. He has a notably weaker argument for better overall player but has shown to consistently drive team success as his individual success occurs.

I know it’s a team sport, but your centerpiece is a huge part of that. Having MVP statistical seasons while not sniffing the playoffs is a red flag

Especially in a situation where you have only four shots with them. Not only is it nearly double the chances more significant, but I feel MacKinnon has been better at elevating his team success relative to his individual success even as a worse player in general.

My opinion, of course.

1 That is BS. Its a team game. I think there were other players that contributed to the teams improvement as well..
2 No its not.
3 Your opinion is wrong..

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Game 6 @ MIN (down 3-2): 0-0-0, -3
Game 7 vs. MIN (tied 3-3): 0-0-0, -3

Game 5 @ NSH (down 3-1): 0-1-1, +0
Game 6 vs. NSH (down 3-2): 0-0-0, -3

Game 5 @ CGY (up 3-1): 0-3-3, +0
Game 6 vs. SJS (down 3-2): 0-0-0, -2
Game 7 @ SJS (tied 3-3): 0-0-0, +1

2014 he was 18, seems a bit unfair.

2018 Nashville was just a far far better team than us.

2019 game 7 Mack was playing with a separated shoulder and still would've had an assist if not for Landy getting the tying goal called back.

Mack has more than proved himself as a fantastic playoff performer.

Reactions: 95snipes

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
McDavid. People worry too much about years down the line. If he comes to your team you have the best player in the world for 4 years, if you can't convince him to stay after that considering A) he picked you once and B) you should've found alot of success in that time, then what the hell difference is 3 more seasons of MacKinnon going to make?

People always fret about this and it's silly. If you're worried about a guy walking in 5 years you may as well sell everyone over 22 on your team and start over.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Imagine blaming the guy for having MVP like seasons for not having team success.

In my opinion, that’s stupid.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
On the Canucks, i'd take McDavid.

Pettersson Mcdavid Boeser
Jt. Miller Horvat Toffoli

That top 6 is probably best in the league, or at least top 5

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

My opinion, of course.

I agree with you.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks for the flagrant mischaracterization of what I said

There’s nothing to mischaracterized. You said it’s a giant red flag that he can have MVP seasons and a lack of team success.

That’s dumb.

I guess when Mackinnon was topping 60 point seasons, could we say that he wasn’t a driver for team success since his team stunk and by proxy, he stunk?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I’d take 7 years of MacKinnon over 7 years of McDavid. I really like MacKinnon.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We can all agree that McKinnon is a fantastic player, probably in the 2nd-4th best player in the league who is on a great contract. Yet, there will never be a circumstance where I choose him over McDavid

If I get both players for the term listed then lose them then I take Mac obviously.

Voted as such.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
There’s nothing to mischaracterized. You said it’s a giant red flag that he can have MVP seasons and a lack of team success.

That’s dumb.

I guess when Mackinnon was topping 60 point seasons, could we say that he wasn’t a driver for team success since his team stunk and by proxy, he stunk?
So mischaracterizing it then

Thanks, you do well to prove the lengths of dishonestly you’ll go in every discussion you’re a part of

The irony being that you still do well to demonstrate my point even as you try dishonest framing devices on MacKinnon’s lack of success

In the end, you still end up agreeing with my argument. You just try and mock it because you don’t like the implications

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad