Who do you take UFA - McDavid for 4 years, or MacKinnon for 7 years?

Who do you prefer as UFA for this year - assuming both cap hits are top 2 in league

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Assuming both players were UFA this off-season - and both were interested in playing for your team. But McDavid made it very clear - the most he'll commit to is 4 years, because he wants to leave his options open to revisit his choices 4 years from now (ie - he makes it very clear, there's absolutely no guarantee he'll stay past that). MacKinnon on the other hand is interested in signing for the max 7 year term - seems committed to staying with your team long-term.

This is UFA - they are probably the 2 most valuable players in the league today (based on ability/position/age) - so expect it to be top $$ for both guys, no real discounts.

What do you pick? McDavid for 4 years - with no guarantee he stays longer - or MacKinnon for 7 years?

Cap value isn't necessarily equal - just assume both are paid a lot, top 2 in league, whatever is fair. This poll is more about the term.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
McDavid is only 2 years younger, and Mackinnon is still easily a top 5 player in this league. Obviously McDavid on a year-year basis is more valuable, but not 75% longer term more valuable in my opinion.

Realistically, if your team isn't good enough to win the cup with Mackinnon instead of McDavid, swapping them would only push your team over the hurdle if you like lost in game 7 of the conference finals or cup finals.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
McDavid. MacKinnon will be entering the end of his prime in 3-4 years.

MacKinnon is not much older than McDavid. Also, it means IF you can even resign McDavid at the end of 4 years, he'll also be entering the end of his prime with a HUGE contract.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What team am I?

I take McDavid here in a large majority of cases but I might think about MacKinnon if I was the Detroit Red Wings.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wouldn’t that further justify the short term deal?

I dunno. I think the next 2-3 years will be MacK’s prime and having him for four more at 11+ could turn ugly.

This deal would only take him to his age 31 season. I could see him start to decline in his late 20s, but I doubt he would decline enough to make it turn ugly. How many top 5 centers in their primes fall off hard that early?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Gotta go McDavid. As a GM, I would hope I would be able to convince him to stay long-term.

If I knew McDavid was leaving after 4 years, then I’d take MacKinnon.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wouldn’t that further justify the short term deal?

I dunno. I think the next 2-3 years will be MacK’s prime and having him for four more at 11+ could turn ugly.

Yeah I also disagree with this turning ugly. He's only 24 - so this takes him to age 31. Most of the high profile UFA's in recent years (or almost UFAs) like Stamkos/Tavares/Doughty/Karlsson - all signed 7 or 8 year deals that'll take them to closer to 34-35 years old. I think maybe at that age you can start to question the last few years - no reason to worry at age 31 though.

MacKinnon will probably no longer be in the conversation for top 2-3 player in the world at age 31 - but there's still a huge step to go from there to say that his $$ amount would "turn ugly".

Reactions: Voight

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah I also disagree with this turning ugly. He's only 24 - so this takes him to age 31. Most of the high profile UFA's in recent years (or almost UFAs) like Stamkos/Tavares/Doughty/Karlsson - all signed 7 or 8 year deals that'll take them to closer to 34-35 years old. I think maybe at that age you can start to question the last few years - no reason to worry at age 31 though.

MacKinnon will probably no longer be in the conversation for top 2-3 player in the world at age 31 - but there's still a huge step to go from there to say that his $$ amount would "turn ugly".

He’d be technically 32 right?

MacKinnon is a fantastic player, but we’ve also seen him be a 50 - 60 pt guy in his prime years. Not saying it’s likely. But the option is to have a generational talent for four years versus a player that is likely in his peak the next two years signed for 7.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He’d be technically 32 right?

MacKinnon is a fantastic player, but we’ve also seen him be a 50 - 60 pt guy in his prime years. Not saying it’s likely. But the option is to have a generational talent for four years versus a player that is likely in his peak the next two years signed for 7.

He'd be 31 going into his last season and at the end of it too I believe. 32 would be going into season 8.

Oh and I don't disagree with you picking McDavid here - i just think you suggesting that 11M+ for Mack by year 7 could turn ugly is a bit much. I mean - it's possible, and you're right in saying he was a 50-60 point guy before he exploded - but I still don't think there's any real reason to suspect he won't still be a very high caliber top player by age 31.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid is going to give me the best chance to win, so I'll take him for 4 years. Hopefully you get him signed after that, but you have to take that chance.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Give me the guy who performs BOTH in the season & playoffs : MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad