Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

• Total voters

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I really hope they don't go with the play til you lose strategy. I think that's a really stupid idea.

Neither guy has to become the de facto #1. I think you look to have them split the season as equally as possible from now on, or until one guy absolutely blows your hair back.

Reactions: Aerchon

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I'd play Kosko, he was playing vezina level for a stretch last season, I want Tippsy to give him a chance to get back there.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
The first two goals were Smiths fault, but they are different than letting in 2 week goals. There will be positives and negatives with him handling the puck, the positives will out weigh the negatives.

As far as I'm concerned we won 6-3.

The team fought back from being down in the 3rd in both games. They're playing for each other!

Leave Smith in for game 3, if he plays well maybe even the 4th game.

Reactions: Messier11

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Not sure why everyone is so down on Smith. Let's be serious...two goals on bad decisions for him. Veteran goalie, he will learn from it. I think he is just trying to help out a little too much/often which is more of a statement of the state of our defencemen and their skill levels.

Arguably, though, Smith has a better glove and, I don't know why, but he inspires more confidence in net than Koskinen has ever since the latter became prone to following Schwartz's advice.

Smith is a competitor. Koskinen, on the other hand, just doesn't have that level of compete in him. Same mistakes over and over. And I am not basing on that last season. His preseason was weak. And blaming that on preseason doesn't cut it. Winners like to win. They don't take days off. Body language between Koskinen and Smith is way different. Smith knew he screwed up, but also knows how to bounce back from that. Even Tippet said that post-game. And his body of work in the last half of the year speaks more for Smith than Koskinen's does for Koski.

Between the two, one is a thoroughbred...ride him til he needs a break.

Reactions: McFuhryous

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I really hope some of those puck skills rub off on Kosk.

Smith really really helps the defense.

Oct 15, 2008
While I did not see the complete game I saw about 15 minutes of highlights.

Here is my question or observation

5 goals scored against
2 were 100% were the goalies fault
844 save percentage

We had games last year where kosk did the same thing and this board wanted to run him out of town.

We have a goalie problem still.

Why are so many over the moon with Smith when his numbers and play are just like Kosks?
Maybe if you watched the games you would have a more informed opinion?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would be a big benefit to have two confident goalies. I like Koskinen vs the Isles and Smith for Rangers. Jersey can be Smith unless Koskinen has a great game vs the Isles

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not sure why everyone is so down on Smith. Let's be serious...two goals on bad decisions for him. Veteran goalie, he will learn from it. I think he is just trying to help out a little too much/often which is more of a statement of the state of our defencemen and their skill levels.

Arguably, though, Smith has a better glove and, I don't know why, but he inspires more confidence in net than Koskinen has ever since the latter became prone to following Schwartz's advice.

Smith is a competitor. Koskinen, on the other hand, just doesn't have that level of compete in him. Same mistakes over and over. And I am not basing on that last season. His preseason was weak. And blaming that on preseason doesn't cut it. Winners like to win. They don't take days off. Body language between Koskinen and Smith is way different. Smith knew he screwed up, but also knows how to bounce back from that. Even Tippet said that post-game. And his body of work in the last half of the year speaks more for Smith than Koskinen's does for Koski.

Between the two, one is a thoroughbred...ride him til he needs a break.
Koskinen by all reports is maybe the hardest working player on the team. He’s consistently the first one on the ice in practice working on his game. Koskinen’s work ethic and compete cannot be questioned.

Oct 15, 2008
So 5 goals were not scored against him?
Two goals were not clearly his mistake?
Was his save % UNDER 900?

These stats are correct are they not?

giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So 5 goals were not scored against him?
Two goals were not clearly his mistake?
Was his save % UNDER 900?

These stats are correct are they not?

The two "adventures" outside of the net aside though his save percentage is .920+ aside from that when he is actually in the net.

We want him to play the puck, it's an asset, but there was always going to be a learning curve here for him and the team for when to use it and when to scale it back.

What I do see is he did make a lot of big stops for the Oilers after that 1st period and probably won the 1st game for them.

When the Oilers need a big stop he makes it more often than what we've seen the past few years.

Hopefully Koskinen also is ready to have a solid season himself. We need both to be decent to good.

Oct 15, 2008
He is leading the poll at the moment, sir.

Then maybe we can clear the air enough in here to be able to take a breath without ingesting copious amounts of bs. Koskinen is a non starter. He cant make a glove save. f*** off with that shit.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Kind of tough one. Islanders really aren’t much on paper, so it could be a chance for a bounceback for Smith, or maybe a decent game for Mikko to start getting set.
I’d actually save Smith for NJ, as I think since they are a faster team, with better puck-moving and transition, having Smith back there to move the pick up would help nullify their game a bit, diffuse the forecheck.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
3.50 gaa .892%

Remember I am the guy who warned you guys against falling in love with Kosk and most ignored me

The well deserved hatred of Kosk is blinding people to how bad Smith has been.

Smith has had one excellent game and one poor game where a couple of isolated puck moving mistakes hurts his numbers badly. He still made a ton of big saves to help the team get the win. To say he simply has been bad is disingenuous at best.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I think you’re pretty much forced to go

Koskinen
Smith
Koskinen

with how the schedule is.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Smith has had one excellent game and one poor game where a couple of isolated puck moving mistakes hurts his numbers badly. He still made a ton of big saves to help the team get the win. To say he simply has been bad is disingenuous at best.

He didn’t even really have a poor game. There were 2 puck handling mistakes, and we unfortunately got burned on both. Take those out and he still had a .900 SV%

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He didn’t even really have a poor game. There were 2 puck handling mistakes, and we unfortunately got burned on both. Take those out and he still had a .900 SV%

Fair enough, I missed most of the 1st but thought he was pretty good the rest of the way. Made some huge saves in a tight game while short handed. Never had the feeling of impending doom for every shot that the Kings took like I have for the last two seasons with our goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad