Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

• Total voters

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
You go Smith again. If you want to put Koskinen in, the only team you do it against on this trip is New Jersey.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Keep playing Smith so the team keeps building chemistry with him

Koskinen will likely start which I wouldn't mind tho. He was good last year when he had a lighter workload

Smith 65%, Koskinen 35% of games

Reactions: WIOiler and thadd

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Smith until we lose. Only fair way to do it. I don't doubt once Kosko is back in he battle for his job back and win.

Reactions: McDrai

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While I did not see the complete game I saw about 15 minutes of highlights.

Here is my question or observation

5 goals scored against
2 were 100% were the goalies fault
844 save percentage

We had games last year where kosk did the same thing and this board wanted to run him out of town.

We have a goalie problem still.

Why are so many over the moon with Smith when his numbers and play are just like Kosks?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You go over to Kosko for the next game or two.

Yes Smith got the win, but those were some ugly reads that led to goals against vs. the Kings. Thankfully the Kings defence was leaky even more leaky and the offence took advantage.

They've got a couple days off and the team has two wins. The pressures off, so it's the perfect time to start Kosko and go from there. Give each pair of games at a time.

Unless someone puts up b2b .930+ games, or one is substantially outperforming the other. I wouldn't break that pattern for the first couple weeks.

Reactions: Satire and Showcor3

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

5 goals scored against
844 save percentage

We had games last year where kosk did the same thing and this board wanted to run him out of town.

Why are so many over the moon with Smith when his numbers and play are just like Kosks?

Because it isn't. Smith made some outstanding saves that game. We know he plays the puck exceptionally well, probably the best out of any goalie in the entire league, but we understand that that comes with consequences. If those 2 fluke goals happen again, or somewhat consistently, it would be different. But he rarely makes those mistakes, so we'll give him a pass for them.

And Kosko would never be able to make that glove save that Smith made today.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
3.50 gaa .892%

Remember I am the guy who warned you guys against falling in love with Kosk and most ignored me

The well deserved hatred of Kosk is blinding people to how bad Smith has been.

Reactions: Aerchon

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
3.50 gaa .892%

Remember I am the guy who warned you guys against falling in love with Kosk and most ignored me

The well deserved hatred of Kosk is blinding people to how bad Smith has been.

Or Kosko has been so bad Smith for all his warts is better option

I do not love Smith either but that is sgst it comes down to

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Need to start Koskinen sometime here... mind as well do it the next game since last night wasn't a great game for Smith. Oilers could have easily lost last night and Smith would have been one of the main reasons why

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Koskinen.

Like it or not smith is signed for 1 year, and koskinen will be here after he’s gone, so they’re gonna have to get used to playing with him at some point, and for smith to be at his best at his age, we’re likely looking at a 50/50 workload for the two of them, so why risk exhausting one of the goalies so early in the year when the other one hasn’t even seen the ice?

Smith was really good and really bad at some points last night, it’s not like he had an amazing night and we can’t afford to sit him.

90% of us were ready to pull smith last night after his gaffs, but he finished strong and it worked out, but any game where we allow 5 goals isn’t one where your goalie forces the coaches hand to play him again imo.

I also want to see if the better looking breakout and d zone passing is all a result of smith or if the players are going to continue to look better with koskinen back there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like Koskinen. I think with a proper rotation he will be the better of the two. Last night imo almost proves it. Smith was putrid.

However I get the impression the team is rallying around Smith and being different this year. Which is important. Smith when on his game really helps our young and shakey defense.

I would start Smith next game versus Islanders. Koskinen would be fine too. So no real preference just hoping the team builds on its success.

Starting with the Islanders game the Oilers play every second day for 9 consecutive games. Many on the road. Even with no back to back rest will be extremely important for both goalies.

Win or lose if Smith starts next game Koskinen absolutely needs to start the following game against the Devils. I'm so sick of the Oilers over working their netminder.

Over the course of that 9 games in 18 days I will be pissed if the Oilers don't devise a schedule that emphasis on resting both goalies and keeping them both involved. If one "wins" the starting spot I still would like the other to get at least 3 games in that span. Even if one or the other is sucking.

You play your back up on a rotation and if you don't have faith in him you call up another or trade for one.

Overworking a mediocre goalie, like we have, is a terrible recipe for an 82 game schedule. Especially when one of your goalies is pushing 40.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

5 goals scored against
844 save percentage

He is the same goalie as koskinen, hot and cold and when he is cold he lets in awful awful goals. I have always winced hard at all the praise the 'great puck handling' goalies get because they at least two or three times a year hand the other teams goals like smith did last night.

Secondary scoring (Nurse, nygaurd) is what let us win this game because other wise it looked like a carbon copy of many of our losses the last two years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’d start Smith until we lose or until we encounter a back to back. We have another 2 days in between games so he should be well rested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad