Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

Who do you start in goal on Tuesday?

• Total voters

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I'd probably go Smith again. I just don't have faith in Koskinen.

Watching Smith scares the **** out of me, plays the puck a little to aggressively, his style is that of an 80s goalie with instead of butterfly he sits on his knees. Koskinen is good until you find his glove.

But you ride the hot hand, there’s no way you don’t run smith again.

I wonder how ****** up our d are going to get coming back to there zone to retrieve a puck with 2 very different scenarios depending on who’s in net

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Kosk

Smith is in his latec30s. We can not burn him out. 2 to 1 gane ratio is my suggetion
Fair comment and certainly worth consideration.

My initial reaction to the poll question was to go back to Smith because he fought back after having a rough game and showed he’s got character. That said, you can’t play him in all 82 games and will need to use Koskinen at some point. Even still, it’s only game 3 and the schedule hasn’t been too compressed yet. If it was my decision, I’d play Smith in the next one and start evaluating after.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I'm with the majority.

Kosk should play.

Im nervous so far, for both tenders. It's now our weakest position.

Reactions: imtheboy

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I would play Smith the next game against the Isles, Koskinen the next against the Devils, and then Smith the day after against the Rags.
This seems like the most reasonable suggestion. Plenty of time to rest before the Islander game. Koskinen could have the worst game of his career against the Devils and still be better than Blackwood.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Kostco will be fine so long as he wears a size Large frying pan. Seriously though you cant burn Smith out. Koskinen plays 2 games on the trip and Smith 2.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'd go with Koskinen next game. Not because Smith played bad, because we really don't know who the clear #1 is yet. It's too early to crown either guy the bonafide starter. Play them equally till one steps clear ahead of the other.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think it'll be Smith, because of the win, but I'd prefer Koskinen. Smith has the upper hand right now but even then I'd like to see 2 games Smith + 1 game Koskinen and so forth (unless one of them plays amazing, then keep running the hot one).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The team doesn't even need to switch hotels for these three games and not one back to back set amongst them. I'd give Koskinen either the Devils or Rangers. I'm leaning towards the Rangers.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Kosk

Since this month is the weaker portion of our schedule I'd rather keep the ratio to as close as 1:1 as possible for now. Even if we get a couple rough outings from our goalies like last night we still have a chance to win against the lower portion of the league at the moment.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Last night was an embarrassing performance from Smith. Koskinen needs to get the next start.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
While I did not see the complete game I saw about 15 minutes of highlights.

Here is my question or observation

5 goals scored against
2 were 100% were the goalies fault
844 save percentage

We had games last year where kosk did the same thing and this board wanted to run him out of town.

We have a goalie problem still.

Why are so many over the moon with Smith when his numbers and play are just like Kosks?

because he hasn’t let in a goal that he absolutely should have had. No weak 40 footers by the likes of lethal sniper Reider have beat him. So far if he sees it, he stops it. He made some huge saves while Oilers were holding onto that lead, something no one has faith Kosko can do.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Smith was 2-0 against the Islanders last season. Koskinen was 1-1, giving up 7 goals.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Koskinen basically has to play one of the next 2 games. New Jersey is more of a shooting from the outside team, and the Islanders get off a lot more from right in front of the net. I'd say Koskinen will play best when the shots are from the outside, and Smith anticipates better so is better equipped to deal with a style like NYI. I guess... there's a logic that says Koskinen is better in close so they can't exploit his glove hand weakness. Debatable. Source: IcyData

But... if that kind of thought isn't going into it, and I don't think it is, then I see Koskinen getting the next start after Smith had a pretty bad game.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
You play Koskinen. We won against LA despite Smith, not because of him. Both guys are capable of having great games and also laying duds. I do think Smith is the better of the two, but if you're trying to have a 1B/2B tandum you give the other guy a chance to carry the ball based upon the way they are both playing... not based on team results.

PS - Why are people selling NJ short? I think they're going to have a monster season. They improved a ton this off-season. Like I'd be shocked if they didn't win a round or two in the playoffs as a baseline expectation.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
While I did not see the complete game I saw about 15 minutes of highlights.

Here is my question or observation

5 goals scored against
2 were 100% were the goalies fault
844 save percentage

We had games last year where kosk did the same thing and this board wanted to run him out of town.

We have a goalie problem still.

Why are so many over the moon with Smith?

Does Koskinen play the puck like Smith? Does he have a catching hand like Smith? Smith made some boobs but he settled down enough and made one more save than the other guy. Missed most of training camp due to the sickness. He'll be fine.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You play Koskinen. We won against LA despite Smith, not because of him. Both guys are capable of having great games and also laying duds. I do think Smith is the better of the two, but if you're trying to have a 1B/2B tandum you give the other guy a chance to carry the ball based upon the way they are both playing... not based on team results.

PS - Why are people selling NJ short? I think they're going to have a monster season. They improved a ton this off-season. Like I'd be shocked if they didn't win a round or two in the playoffs as a baseline expectation.
They’ve improved a ton?

Subban is trash so far, their goalie is worse than either of ours and Hughes looks like he’s lost so far .

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad