Who do you see the Kings signing in the Summer?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As for the OP's question, I think we'll target some speed for the lower lines or another D-man if Scuds and/or Regehr leave. The D is a guaranteed target if they leave and Willie isn't a go for next year for sure before July 1.

I think Scuds is gone, or at the least testing the market before after this season. He and the Kings are far apart in terms of money and/or term.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Bernier does go to NYI, I expect this guy as part of the return package

940x.jpg

I think he has a lot more upside than people think and can be a 15 goal type guy. And he'll do anything to win. Plus I know he has Johnny Utah's minimum fighting standards met usually by the 10 game mark of the season, so he's a shoe-in ;)

I would LOVE that, but I doubt NYI would ever let him go. He's their Clifford.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
We wont be signing anybody other than our own. A trade might bring in fresh blood, be it in exchange for Bernier or one of our younger, lesser defensemen.

If Mitchell is able to play, they'll need to know before July 1st. That will determine if Regehr stays or goes.

The forwards can be cheaply replaced from within, and that's likely what we'll see happening. Every top team is going to have a weak chink in their lineup somewhere. Ours is the #2LW, which is far better than any other position to be thin at.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I love Matt Martin, but honestly he is a Clifford clone. I don't think he has that much upside. 7 goals is the most he has scored as a pro. Same as Cliffy. Martin might just be a bit of a better fighter. The one thing with Martin though is he has showed he can play with top end talent like Stamkos in Sarnia.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I would LOVE that, but I doubt NYI would ever let him go. He's their Clifford.

Agreed, but you have to give to get so it would be interesting to see just how desperate they are for a goalie. Poulin, etc. aren't ready or proven to be a starter, Dipietro is likely long gone from the picture, and Nabokov is 38 and a UFA this summer.

If we can't resign regehr and Willie isn't a go for next year, another name I'd be asking about from NYI is Hamonic. Get him and we might not even need to draft a defenseman in the next five years.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I've got my fingers crossed that Pearson can move right into Penner's slot. Every indication is that the kid has mad skills, a good knack for being in front of the net, and can win board battles. He will be young, cheap, and home grown. Camp for next season is gonna be interesting!

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I love Matt Martin, but honestly he is a Clifford clone. I don't think he has that much upside. 7 goals is the most he has scored as a pro. Same as Cliffy. Martin might just be a bit of a better fighter. The one thing with Martin though is he has showed he can play with top end talent like Stamkos in Sarnia.

Yeah, I wouldn't deal bernier straight up for him, NYI would have to add. But if we are looking for a netfront guy that can play with talented players in some situations (IE the powerplay) he'd be a good one to look at.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
We will have to make our choices on Scuds and RR before we know if Mitchell will be back. RFA starts July 5th. Which is just over 2 months away. The interesting part is if Mitchell comes back, and I hope he is able, and we sign everyone that gives us 9D. Someone is going. Even at 8D without him I would say someone goes. So I could see Bernier and Martinez in a package to get us something bigger. Both have rings and the D that have been let go this year have proved we can develop them even if they aren't playing all the time in our games.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I think the Kings will spend this off season looking within for replacements. With the cap falling next season, the Kings need to hang on to their own players first.

I'm sure the cap will rise quickly starting in 2014. Especially with all of the outdoor games.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Agreed. I posted this awhile back. With Muzzin taking over Martinez's spot and with the Kings having 2 healthy scratches now (Ellerby and Martinez), Kings have to figure out if Mitchell is coming back and if not, who they keep and who do they sign...

I don't think Pearson is physical enough to slide in with Carter and Richards. He's only 6'. Kings need like a nasty version of Penner...Someone like Doan, Morrow, Iginla, Horton...A guy who can play nasty, throw the body, go to the net.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
It's in no way bashing DL for the Richards trade, but man would Simmonds look good in our top 6 right now.

God, THIS. I love Mike, but Simmonds is EXACTLY who I want in Penner's spot right now. He was one of my favorite players while he was here, he is just such a great all-around player that does everything and does it all well. He won't score 40-50, but he will score 30+. He isn't a goon but he hits hard, plays rough, and will drop the gloves. He isn't Datsuyk, but he has the hands to make a move and take it to the net or dish a sweet pass to the open man. He is big and tough enough to park in front and get the dirty goals.

I don't think we could get him back for Bernier + A Mart, especially considering how well he is playing in Philly, but I sure would like to try.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Simmonds is a RW. Plus, I don't see the Flyers dealing him...Schenn was supposed to be the key in that deal but Simmonds has turned out to be better. Hartnell is getting up there in age and the Flyers love these type of players.

Also, the Flyers are stuck with Bryzgalov's big contract for a long time and they just re-signed Mason.

LAX attack*

It's pretty clear we have to let Scuderi walk and re-sign Regher. Looking at both play, is there honestly any question as to who will be a better player next season? Scuds is hanging on for dear life in the NHL, Regehr looks revitalized here.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's pretty clear we have to let Scuderi walk and re-sign Regher. Looking at both play, is there honestly any question as to who will be a better player next season? Scuds is hanging on for dear life in the NHL, Regehr looks revitalized here.

Scuds with reduced minutes has looked fine.

Regehr the last few games has not played that well, he struggles with speed.

No idea why people want to get rid of Scuds, if he signs for his annual salary, you are not going to replace him for cheaper....

Regehr makes more than Scuds.

You do not have enough fingers and toes to count the Goals Scuds takes away from other teams each season.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Regehr is younger than Scud's and has been way more physical than anyone out there. Granted, Greene is back and he is a wrecking ball when healthy, but Regehr is just meaner in the front of the net. Kings haven't had that for years, probably since Sean O'Donnell.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Regehr is younger than Scud's and has been way more physical than anyone out there. Granted, Greene is back and he is a wrecking ball when healthy, but Regehr is just meaner in the front of the net. Kings haven't had that for years, probably since Sean O'Donnell.

Willie Mitchell didn't play for the Kings uhh ?

You guys have really short memories.

And if Regehr's price comes down (pay cut), the Kings can keep both.

Cause the Kings will be able to spend Mitchell's cap hit due to injury.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Willie Mitchell plays more physical with his stick. He clears the front, but is not a huge body checker like he once was. He used to fight and throw the body a lot more, but now he is 36 and a history of concussions and injuries...Don't get wrong, I love WM, he is one of my favorite Kings, but who knows how he will look next year at 37 coming off three years of concussions, wrist injuries and now knee injuries.

RR just turned 33. Granted, he is not the fastest, but his physical game is still there.

Scuderi is 34 and will be 35 in December. He is a minus player this year (only -4).

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
any way we can sign Mitchell, Scuderi, Regg and Voynov
or not enough cap (even if we let Penner walk and trade Bernier,Martinez,Ellerby for a pick)
personally happy to keep Bernier

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
any way we can sign Mitchell, Scuderi, Regg and Voynov
or not enough cap (even if we let Penner walk and trade Bernier,Martinez,Ellerby for a pick)
personally happy to keep Bernier

Well, Mitchell is already signed for next year. I have to imagine how aggressively they pursue Regher and/or Scuderi will be dictated some by how Mitchell's rehab is going.

On Bernier, no way is he coming back. If he isn't traded at the draft, he could get an offer-sheet that will be too rich for them to match with the cap coming down, so he is likely moved at or before the draft.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe if Pens is willing to sign for much less to stay, he can be a one year bridge between Pearson and the NHL. Toffoli, Bernier and one of the young PMD defensemen can go. Ellerby can be the new Drewiske.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
That really depends on whether we win another cup or get bounced early. If we win another cup, then we might get lucky and sign a worthy veteran for cheap.

As for Toffoli, his situation is pretty much like Purcell's situation. A true top 6 RW who HAS to play LW. Hopefully, we'll have a better outcome with Toffoli than we did with Purcell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad