Who do you see the Kings signing in the Summer?

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I don't really know who's available, but obviously some kind of talented LW'er. I could also see us trading Bernier at the draft to the Islanders for said LW'er, or any one of their other young players from their ripe prospect pool (Nino would be nice, Strome out of reach)....

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think a LW comes back from the Bernier trade. But trading Bernier means they need a backup goalie. Theodore mahybe? I know there are others but his name I know is out there.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Definately Voynov!!
UFA depends on buy out. I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Ville L if Buffalo buys him out. We need a LW.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Which Free Agent Player do you think the Kings will go after this summer? Is there enough cap space to sign an all-star? Or a top 6 forward? Thanks!

Not enough cap space to sign an all-star, we would need to trade Bernier and maybe Martinez for top 6 help and trade or sign a backup. We also need to find a spot for Toffoli and possibly Pearson. We are not making a big splash in this year's UFA market.

Captain Mittens*

Which Free Agent Player do you think the Kings will go after this summer? Is there enough cap space to sign an all-star? Or a top 6 forward? Thanks!

Probably not

The Kings have cap speace of $14,652,273

and need to sign

RFA-
Cliiford
Lewis
Nolan
Voynov
Martinez
Ellerby
Muzzin
Bernier(probably getting traded....but)

UFA-
Penner(I know)
Scuderi
Regher

May get some cap relief from Mitchell if he goes on LTIR

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think it's gonna be Jagr on a 1 year deal similar to what he signed in Dallas. Really not much out there and the Kings are gonna have to pay those RFA's. Replacing Penner with Jagr would be a huge upgrade (insert fat joke here).

Captain Mittens*

. Replacing Penner with Jagr would be a huge upgrade (insert fat joke here).

136554685903.jpg

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
UFA depends on buy out. I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Ville L if Buffalo buys him out. We need a LW.

Not gonna happen. He's awful, and folds like a cheap suit when anybody comes near him. Not a physical bone in his body. Having suffered thru his FLyer days, you don't want him. He's 100% NOT a sutter player. And terribly overrated with a capital O.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Probably not

and need to sign

RFA-
Cliiford
Lewis
Nolan
Voynov
Martinez
Ellerby
Muzzin
Bernier(probably getting traded....but)

Looking at the RFAs, most (Lewis, Nolan, Clifford, Martinez, Ellerby and Muzzin) will command around $1M, maybe Lewis and Martinez get $1.5M. Voynov though could very easily get $4M-5M if it's a 5 or 6 year deal.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
My guesses (cap hits)

and need to sign

RFA-
Cliiford - $1.3M
Lewis - $1.5M
Nolan - < $1M
Voynov - $3.5M
Martinez - $1.8M or traded
Ellerby - < $1M
Muzzin - $1M or traded
Bernier(probably getting traded....but) - Definitely traded, otherwise an offer sheet target, IMO. Kings can't trade him if they match.

UFA-
Penner(I know) - bye bye
Scuderi - Retained, $4M
Regher - Retained if Mitchell is still out - $4.2M

Other moves might need to be made to accomodate.

edit: I didn't look these up so I'm not sure if any are below QO for the RFA's

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Not gonna happen. He's awful, and folds like a cheap suit when anybody comes near him. Not a physical bone in his body. Having suffered thru his FLyer days, you don't want him. He's 100% NOT a sutter player. And terribly overrated with a capital O.

Agreed, and is awful defensively so Sutter would likely kill him.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
A LW with a netfront presence would be big. That is what they need out of Penner right now and probably why he wasn't moved. Under Murray they had two guys that could get to the front, screen the goalie and chew up space with Smyth and Handzus. They could stand to get that, more consistent traffic, although that seems to be a dying art with guys like Knuble, Holmstrom, Smitty, et al getting pretty old and even retiring.

If there is a good value on defense, that's always a good signing, but is there ever really one on the open market?

Not so much an urgent need but it's time to start thinking about a top-six winger long term. Maybe it's Toffoli, maybe it's someone else. You look at their top six, Penner is a likely departure right now, Williams quite possibly either in a year or two more when his deal expires. Between that and the versatility of guys like Brown and Carter, a winger on either side seems lke a good move if the right guy is there. But personally I think Toffoli will get a chance to play considerable minutes next year and a role guy with a big body will chew up the balance of the minutes.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha...ok no Leino.

Sorry, wasn't directed at you, I don't know any better about Leino. Was just piggybacking off the Flyer fan commentary about his defensive/physical play.

I dont think we have the cap space to chase anyone that would be an upgrade, yet I also don't see us just 'replacing' Penner with Toffoli due to completely different skillsets--next year we'll likely see some promotions from within to keep costs down due to the cap, too. It's tough to say, honestly--I'm gonna go look thru our depth chart and at some UFA lists :)

Last edited:

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
By the time we resign VV, Muzzin, Lewis, Clifford, and Scuds we probably wont have any money left over lol

I think it will be a very quiet year for us in the UFA pool.

I see JB and Martinez being packaged off for 2 picks or 1 pick + prospect.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings need a big LW unless they plan on keeping Toffoli at LW with Richards-Carter.

I would think Brendan Morrow is a guy they go after. Character guy.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Priority #1 will be re-signing Regher and Scuderi, or replacing them. Lombardi doesn't even think about signing a forward until his defense is completely settled.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
A LW with a netfront presence would be big. That is what they need out of Penner right now and probably why he wasn't moved. Under Murray they had two guys that could get to the front, screen the goalie and chew up space with Smyth and Handzus. They could stand to get that, more consistent traffic, although that seems to be a dying art with guys like Knuble, Holmstrom, Smitty, et al getting pretty old and even retiring.

If there is a good value on defense, that's always a good signing, but is there ever really one on the open market?

If Bernier does go to NYI, I expect this guy as part of the return package

940x.jpg

I think he has a lot more upside than people think and can be a 15 goal type guy. And he'll do anything to win. Plus I know he has Johnny Utah's minimum fighting standards met usually by the 10 game mark of the season, so he's a shoe-in ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad