Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Bob Hartley, he has won at every level. To those pointing out that he won the Cup in 2001, he just went to a Gagarin Cup Finals and then won the Gagarin Cup this year in the KHL. If he had that type of recent success in the QMJHL (he won there) or the AHL (there too) referring to his success as far removed screams bias against European hockey. This guy has consistently coached and succeeded. He was fired at the end of the 2016 season, took two seasons to collect himself and was back in coaching in the best league outside of the NHL in the world.

LamoTheKid

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
Top of my list is Lane Lambert.

100% hard no on Tocchet, Babcock, Torts

100% probably not going to watch disaster option: Hartley

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Any current assistant coaches who were former head coaches that could be considered?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Of the choices we have now:
1. Hartley
2. Gallant
3. Montgomery

My hard passes:
1. Torts
2. Babcock
3. Boudreau

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I really despise Torts. Im gonna have a hard time if he's the guy.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Bob Hartley, he has won at every level. To those pointing out that he won the Cup in 2001, he just went to a Gagarin Cup Finals and then won the Gagarin Cup this year in the KHL. If he had that type of recent success in the QMJHL (he won there) or the AHL (there too) referring to his success as far removed screams bias against European hockey. This guy has consistently coached and succeeded. He was fired at the end of the 2016 season, took two seasons to collect himself and was back in coaching in the best league outside of the NHL in the world.
He also won the cup playing against Putin’s favorite team, known to bend the rules in order to make him happy. Gotta stand for a little something there at least.

Reactions: TheRedressor

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Canes seem like they are playing chicken with Rod Brind'amour... give him a deadly offer in the offseason and get him there... he will like coaching in NYC

I don't think the Rangers will wait that long and risk losing out on one of the currently available coaching candidates.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Gallant is intriguing. It seems to me like he is getting a little bit of the Ted Nolan treatment where he is clearly a highly skilled coach but has problems managing upwards which makes GMs uncomfortable. He is coaching Canada at the Worlds though which is a good first step to getting back in the league's good graces. With JD gone and Sather apparently still very much in play Gallant is going to have to convince both Drury and Sather he is not going to cause them headaches with Dolan.

FWIW, from listening to the various players that go on the "players' podcasts" like Chiclets or Missin Curfew Gallant is loved by his players.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
UR5o8TK.jpg

Teammates with David Quinn at the Kent School.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't think the Rangers will wait that long and risk losing out on one of the currently available coaching candidates.

But having said that, are there that many top notch must have choices as of NOW??? Id say besides maybe Gallant, there aren't many unreal choices.

If I were Drury, I'd wait it out till offseason anyways to see if there are firings or whatever... no rush at all IMO

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Any thoughts on a guy like Marc Crawford? Currently Assistant in Chicago. Former Cup winner. If I remember correctly he burned some bridges and went off a coached in Europe for a number of years and has been back for at least 5 or 6 years working as an Assistant.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Honestly I have no clue.

I don’t think bringing back Torts would be right for this club, but I also like Torts and he’s won.

Gallant is a sexy name and proved he knows how to coach an exciting, winning brand of hockey. I would be more than ok with him, I think the style of hockey he coaches is right up this teams alley

I loved Babcock when he was with the Wings and would’ve taken him as the next Ranger coach in a second then, but after his fallout with Toronto it gives me great pause.

Never was a big Boudreau fan and I don’t think he’s any better than Quinn really.

Patrick Roy would just elevate any dysfunction this franchise already has and I’m not sure if he’s the answer in this market.

Tocchet is a guy I’d consider if Drury is high on him but I’ve admittedly not watched a ton of Coyote games and can’t really speak to his style.

Whimpy from Popeye (aka Julien) is a very good coach and would be near the top of my list but I’m not sure his defensive style of play would fit our team to a T. I think they need a hybrid system, but if Drury feels he’s the fit so be it.

Big pass on Hartley. Would rather have Quinn.

Messier has zero experience so I don’t know how hiring him would satisfy the need to “take this team to the next level” which is the reason for decapitating the head of the front office and entire coaching staff. But I wouldn’t be surprised.

And Knoblock should stay in Hartford and continue to develop the kids there and be the failsafe if whoever they bring in goes sour

I wonder if Drury is giving Ted Nolan a call, just for shits

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Boudreau is likely not....

how much time and effort will it be for him to run and start up a USPHL Team like they've been involved in at Hershey Park Arena.....

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Also remember Alex Barkov came into his own in his second season under Gallant with 59 points in 66 games. I see a lot of similarities between Barkov and Kakko especially with the dedication Kakko displayed for defense and backchecking this season.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad