Who do you keep on this roster for next year?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Regardless of how the rest of the season goes, Chiarelli is likely gone (good riddance) barring a miracle run to the playoffs and a first round win. Hitchcock will be doing what he can to get as many wins together and to see what he can get from individual players. Even with a front office purge I'd like to see him kept on as an adviser of sorts if he's willing. One of the few people in the org with any sense for hockey.

With that in mind, who do you think is worth keeping and who is worth trading? I'm organizing it according to priority, and some things to keep in mind is player performance relative to expectations (it's silly to think that all of the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing D need to be upgraded IMO).

Keep:

Forwards:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Nugent-Hopkins - has come a long way now that he's playing looser. Well worth the 6 million IMO.

Reider - probably the only "true" third line talent we have (left) that can also do spot duty in the top 6. PKs well, seems to be good at puck retrieval, good play-making

Caggiula - Has played very well this year after a down year last year. Looked good in the playoffs particularly for his first pro year IMO.

Defense:

One of Klefbom or Larsson: Not sure which of the two I would keep. An argument could be made for either depending on who is coming in. One should be traded with + to get an upgrade top 4 D (or top 6 forward)

Russell: I know a lot of people still don't like him (and his contract) but he's been one of the more consistent D since signing here. He's good enough to be a #4 and having him on the bottom pairing easing in one of the rookies would be ideal. I also don't think it will be worth trading him for what we get back. There are harder contracts to move that need to go (Sekera, Lucic).

Bouchard: Will be a top 4 D, no mistake. Likely will be a #2 at worst in his prime. One of the most valuable players we have at this point

Goalie:

Koskinen: Playing very well despite poor team defense. His body of work outside of the NHL confirms his value. I'd try to re-sign him right away to the Talbot contract or something like that.

Maybe:

Nurse: Personally, I would try and move him with a + for a team looking for a change. He still holds value and will likely be a top 4 D but we need more offensively skilled D. Could be one of the better pieces to move to get something valuable back.

Chiasson: Yes, he's not consistent, which is why he signed a PTO. Let's see how he does the rest of the year, and if he'll sign a reasonable extension for 2 years, I'd jump at it. Been one of the better forwards this year, all around. Gulutzan rocks for this suggestion alone.

Jesse Puljujarvi: I'm on the fence. I think he's been jerked around a bit and not given a completely fair shake, but he also has to do something with limited minutes as well (look at Chiasson...yes, I know he's a vet). I'd quietly ask around to see what can be returned. I'm also worried about him breaking out on a better team.

Yamamoto: I'd like to see how he does the rest of the year on the farm team and give him a shot next year in the bigs, but I'd also keep offers open.

Brodziak: Our most consistent bottom 6 guy. Yes, hes old. But his veteran presence is worth it and he still shows flashes of skill with a work ethic that rubs off on other teammates. Not going to find anyone better for 4th line C next year for the price IMO. Maybe a guy from Bakersfield.

Gravel: I'd like to keep him as insurance if he'll sign for cheap. IMO the best 7D we've had in a long while.

Bear, Jones, Lagesson, Hebig, Marody, Benson et al in the Bake.: All promising, and probably not worth what you'd get back. I'd consider using them as a plus to get someone more established (but would be very adamant against trading Jones and Benson unless the return was undeniably better).

Move on from:

Sekera or Lucic: One of these two has to go next year. I would lean towards Sekera because the dollars are close and IMO Lucic can actually still bring some value to team play in the bottom 6. Unfortunate that Seks is probably done as an NHLer from the injuries. I don't think both can be offloaded next year without gutting the team further.

One of Klefbom or Larsson: See above. Need an upgrade on one of them. I think they have value around the league.

Talbot: He's done here. I think he might do okay as a backup somewhere but he's also hitting that age where he might be done in general. We NEED a proven backup next year.

Spooner: Didn't like this trade when it happened, and I'm not really a fan of Strome. At least he could tread water as a 3C. See if his value can be increased this year and move on from him for a pick.

Benning: Inconsistent, and while the stats show he is a decent bottom pair, we have guys on the farm that I think will be more consistent (and make less). I'd only keep him if we can keep him on the bottom pair and one of the guys from Bakersfield pairs well with him (which we need to find out this year when we're officially out of the race or before).

Khaira: He has flashes of great play but floats too much and is a dime a dozen player IMO. Any of the top 6 in Bakersfield would be an upgrade on him next year, IMO. I'd let him walk at the end of the year.

Kassian: Keep him if Lucic goes or if you can't find a better replacement. He's overpaid for what he brings but if the coach can keep him engaged his physical presence and speed is valuable.

Rattie: I do think he has potential given what we've seen but I don't see him getting a fair shake with Hitchcock and honestly we can do better. Maybe keep him as a cheaper winger in the top 6 (he's definitely better than Spooner IMO)

Wideman: Meh. I think one of the offensive D rookies will do better than him next year. Let him walk.

Garrison: He's definitely not coming back next year. Will likely retire.

Thoughts? Anyone I missed?

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly wouldn't be upset if the current roster just completely disappeared after McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH and the NHL said "well I guess you guys get an expansion draft to pick the rest of the roster".

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Honestly wouldn't be upset if the current roster just completely disappeared after McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH and the NHL said "well I guess you guys get an expansion draft to pick the rest of the roster".

I'd love that too. In fact, I'd take a whole new franchise with new ownership at this point ("Move it to Seattle"). But trying to be realistic. I also think we have some good players coming up and guys that are NHL players (not necessarily top 6 forwards or top 4 D) that are worth keeping.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So who eats the tough minutes if you move Klefbom and/or Larsson? Nurse and Russell? :laugh:

If you move one of the d-men it's Nurse who goes, but even that is iffy. It would have to be a legit top6 forward at minimum if you move him otherwise it's just not worth it. But Nurse is a lot more replaceable than Klef or Larsson.

Either way it's probably best to hold onto him and be patient and let Bouchard develop. Klefbom-Bouchard and Nurse-Larsson (alternatively Klefbom-Larsson and Nurse-Bouchard) could be two pretty solid pairings. If you move Nurse you still need a top4 d-man in his place.

But I guess we could eventually replace him either if Sekera gets back to form or Jones takes steps forward and becomes that guy. But that's not really something you can count on.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
In what world do you worry about keeping Caggiula?

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse (unless someone grossly overpays for him, which they won't), Koskinen, and one of Larsson/Klefbom.

For prospects I keep Bouchard, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, and Hebig.

Don't really care about the rest.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
So who eats the tough minutes if you move Klefbom and/or Larsson? Nurse and Russell? :laugh:

If you move one of the d-men it's Nurse who goes, but even that is iffy. It would have to be a legit top6 forward at minimum if you move him otherwise it's just not worth it. But Nurse is a lot more replaceable than Klef or Larsson.

Either way it's probably best to hold onto him and be patient and let Bouchard develop. Klefbom-Bouchard and Nurse-Larsson (alternatively Klefbom-Larsson and Nurse-Bouchard) could be two pretty solid pairings. If you move Nurse you still need a top4 d-man in his place.

But I guess we could eventually replace him either if Sekera gets back to form or Jones takes steps forward and becomes that guy. But that's not really something you can count on.

That's the problem. You'd have to get someone that is an upgrade on one of them in return (or in a separate move, ideally Nurse + IMO). I would lean towards keeping both since they are without question top 4D (despite what some think) and if somehow they can be the 2nd pair in two years from now (assuming we can keep them), that would put the team over the top IMO.

I think we need to see Jones up here for a stint sometime this year to see what we have. I hate to do this revolving door thing with putting a young guy in a position like that, but if he ends up being better than Nurse (slower, but decent speed, above average offensively with decent defense), that makes Nurse very expendable. I think Nurse nets you the most valuable piece back of any of the "truly expendable" players.

Reactions: Zaddy

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Remember when we all couldn’t wait to get rid of Kris Russ?
Solid dude. Always has good facial hair.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
In what world do you worry about keeping Caggiula?

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse (unless someone grossly overpays for him, which they won't), Koskinen, and one of Larsson/Klefbom.

For prospects I keep Bouchard, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, and Hebig.

Don't really care about the rest.

Caggiula doesn't have to stay but he should. He's signed for another year and I don't see us getting anything worth more than he is in return. He's fiesty, a puck retriever and is a fairly low cap hit. Can play up and down the lineup. Why ditch him next year?

The rest I agree with, but would see what you can get for Nurse. I think someone would overpay for him.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Keep: McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Reider, Russell, Bouchard and I like Chiasson and Koskinen.
Everyone else can board a rocket with Chia and be shot straight into the sun.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Depends on who's making the trades. I'd rather they do nothing than do something stupid.
I agree.

I'm going under the assumption we have a new GM after this season. I don't think anything big will happen til then.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree.

I'm going under the assumption we have a new GM after this season. I don't think anything big will happen til then.

The first order of business for the next GM will be getting rid of the garbage stuff on the roster first rather than making huge types of deals or shipping out still useful players like a Klefbom IMO.

It's gonna be about dumping players from the Lucic-Sekera-Puljujarvi-Spooner group, possibly Russell too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We should let McDavid make the trades.. well he did want Lucic as a linemates when he was young so maybe not.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Klefbom
Larsson

That’s the core for me.

Rieder
Nurse

Can play somewhere in the lineup

The rest the decisions are harder.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The first order of business for the next GM will be getting rid of the garbage stuff on the roster first rather than making huge types of deals or shipping out still useful players like a Klefbom IMO.

It's gonna be about dumping players from the Lucic-Sekera-Puljujarvi-Spooner group, possibly Russell too.
No one wants our garbage. We will just have run the course and let these contracts expire.

We need a big fish on D. Only one worth keeping is Bouchard and maybe Larsson. We are stuck with Sekera and maybe Russell so that makes Klefa and/or Nurse a trade bait.

Up front Drai can get us the best return. There is no one else with any major value. Drai can pull just about anyone in a 1 for 1. Pietrangelo or Parayko being examples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad