Who do you keep on this roster for next year?

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I think we have 3 number 2 defenseman (perhaps I have a bit more faith in Nurse than most). That's probably never going to work on the ice. However it's something to work with in a trade.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Neither are realistically an ideal 1st pairing Dman. They literally have to overachieve and play above their usual level to take this team anywhere.

They're an average top pair together. Both are first pairing D men if paired with someone a level above them. Both are unquestionably legitimate top 4 NHL D. So why are they "questionable" again?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
They're an average top pair together. Both are first pairing D men if paired with someone a level above them. Both are unquestionably legitimate top 4 NHL D. So why are they "questionable" again?

Top 4 sure.
Top pairing...I guess if you're dealt this hand

Like I said, it took them to overachieve to get us into the playoffs. They hit their usual performance and we're at where we are at. Chances are, if we are to acquire a 1D, one of them [and then some pluses] are heading back the other way unless Bouchard amazes us in his rookie season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Top 4 sure.
Top pairing...I guess if you're dealt this hand

Like I said, it took them to overachieve to get us into the playoffs. They hit their usual performance and we're at where we are at .

The Oilers are -2 at 5v5 with that pair on the ice and -16 with them off ice, so I would say the problems lie elsewhere.

Chances are, if we are to acquire a 1D, one of them [and then some pluses] are heading back the other way unless Bouchard amazes us in his rookie season.

That's probably not going to happen and besides you want a guy who can push one of these players down, not just rob Peter to pay Paul.

If you're looking to move a piece off this blueline for an upgrade, the guy you move is Nurse.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
If you kept McDavid, Draisitl, RNH.

Then dropped everyone else on the team and replaced with bottom pair d-men, backup goalie, and bottom 6 forwards from other teams.
We'd probably hardly notice the difference. Heck there's a chance someone or a few would get a chance to step up and we'd improve.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Going nowhere: F 97, 29, 93, 27, 28. D 6, 77, 25.
Likely staying: F 23, 91, 16. D 4, 83.
It depends: F 22, 39, 98. D 10, 5. G 19
Good as gone: F 8, 44. D 2. G 30.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic can't stay here if the team is ever going to go anywhere. They have to move him out one way or another. This is a disaster and it's likely impacting his mental health and causing distress to his family on top of that. He needs to go somewhere else, anywhere else.

If Montreal is willing to do Alzner, you do it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I've been going through the Florida threads, and they have a similar thread "If Tallon was fired today, what would you do". Alot of 'Trade Ekblad for an elite forward'. He was fantastic with Connor and Nuge in the worlds, with the 3 of them earning best players for team canada honors.

Would you trade Leon Draisaitl for Aaron Ekblad?
Both in year 2 of a monstrous 8 year contract, with Ekblad getting 1 mil less

Florida gets their premier top 2 center to rotate with Barkov, and we get a true potential #1 defenseman

Only thing is that Drai is the 2nd best player on the team, Connor's main man, and he's producing over a point per game right now, while Ekblad is struggling a bit, 9 pts in 22 games.
It's a tempting offer though
Aaron Ekblad has got to be the most overrated young defenseman in the game. Guy has a terrible first step, middle to below average IQ. Hell no to trading for him. He is like Klefbom with a slightly better ability to keep the puck in the zone and slightly worse first step.

The biggest knock is looking at his improvement in the NHL the last 4 years. 0 improvement in his game . In fact his game has regressed offensively since his rookie season. Would not touch the guy with a 10 foot pole.

Also was Canada's worst defenseman at this years World Hockey Championships

Oilers need more Chiasson's and less Lucic's coming over to this roster. Buy low sell high,

Athanasiou if we can pry him out
Parayko or Pietrangelo if there is any hope
Ghost from Philly would be a pipedream
Chris Tanev from Vancouver is solid in his end
Vincent Trocheck is struggling in Florida any chance there ?

you want to legit improve this team, look for options that move the needle

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I keep McDavid and thats about it. Maybe Nurse.

Id trade Draisaitl asap if we can get prime value, and trade anyone else if it made sense

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No more trading our 1 of 2 high end forwards for MOAR D!!!

Enough with it, it's like a dude that needs to be slapped upside the head for eating too much candy.

We paid through the ass and suffered to get Bouchard-Nurse-Klefbom-Larsson, that's your four and you better make that work or go f*** off.

If Draisaitl is traded it's for a forward that is better than him and around the same age, and good luck finding that on the trade market.

We are NOT going to play McDavid with a literal AHL roster upfront. You should be embarrassed with what he has to to work with upfront as is.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Whoooo boy the team is gonna stink again.
The team's gonna be as good as they perform. Reality is even as 'sellers', we aren't really in a position to be shipping out anyone with significant value. We might see some money move out, which may provide some ability marginally upgrade the forward group.

Then again, our rumors board is once again reminiscing about Taylor Hall, so reality doesn't really pique a ton of interest.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
trade talbot and then get shafted by koskinen.
dump benning for a hat
nurse for a cool scarf
surgically merge caggiula, spooner and puljujarvi...taking the best of the three....and then deposit the worst of them into craig mactavish.
subtract 5 years from sekera
travel back in time to genetically modify yakupov at the embryonic stage
instead of trading jultz bury him in the echl....just because.....
get rid of khaira, garrison
pray to the hockey lords on high that a top 10 starter magically floats into the roster

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team's gonna be as good as they perform. Reality is even as 'sellers',we aren't really in a position to be shipping out anyone with significant value. We might see some money move out, which may provide some ability marginally upgrade the forward group.

Then again, our rumors board is once again reminiscing about Taylor Hall, so reality doesn't really pique a ton of interest.

This team will be as good as its 2nd line is. That line sucks and the franchise is going nowhere.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm not as pessimistic as most here, I guess. I'd keep the core, which I think is McDavid, Drai, RNH, Larsson, either Klefbom or Nurse. I'd also keep Yamamoto and Bouchard, as well as the other prospects like Benson, Jones, Bear, Marody, etc. I think I'd keep Koskinen but it's too early to tell. Besides that, I'd be open to moving anyone else for the right deal.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This team will be as good as its 2nd line is. That line sucks and the franchise is going nowhere.
Well, I'm not really sure what brings you to this assumption. There's a heck of a lot more that goes on in hockey than simply finding scoring depth on your second line. While I don't disagree that depth is an integral part of winning in this league, there are far more effective ways of doing so than simply trying to outscore your own mistakes.

I think we can all hope that the next few months with Hitchcock at the helm will benefit the development of some of our younger players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
100% untouchable:
Mcdavid

99% untouchable:
Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Bouchard

Everyone else is expendable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, I'm not really sure what brings you to this assumption. There's a heck of a lot more that goes on in hockey than simply finding scoring depth on your second line. While I don't disagree that depth is an integral part of winning in this league, there are far more effective ways of doing so than simply trying to outscore your own mistakes.

I think we can all hope that the next few months with Hitchcock at the helm will benefit the development of some of our younger players.

Scoring depth isn't optional in the NHL anymore, I think people have to realize we are entering a new decade, and probably a new era for the NHL. This one looks like it's going to be more based on scoring + speed.

If you do not have the ability to outscore mistakes, to counter-punch and roar back in games offensively, you are not going to be successful.

The times, they are a changin'. We're still stuck in 2010 and that's a huge problem.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Scoring depth isn't optional in the NHL anymore, I think people have to realize we are entering a new decade, and probably a new era for the NHL. This one looks like it's going to be more based on scoring + speed.

If you do not have the ability to outscore mistakes, to counter-punch and roar back in games offensively, you are not going to be successful.

The times, they are a changin'. We're still stuck in 2010 and that's a huge problem.
I think if you have the ability to turn that second line into a shutdown type line that it essentially was in 16/17, you can ice a reasonably competitive team. But you're still going to need offensive contributions from other sources to be successful.

I don't think we're far off when it comes to saying depth is required to win in this league. You can't have one player accounting for 60% of his team's offense. But I don't think it takes two 'scoring' lines to be successful.

I think this off-season's most interesting potential change--beyond what may happen organizationally--will be what unfolds between the pipes. I just see a reality when Cam Talbot is our starting goaltender next season, nor do I see us willing to commit any sort of significant salary to him. And Mikko Koskinen is still a considerable wildcard.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'd be willing to listen to trade offers on any of those four guys, I don't think they're an irreplaceable part.

Yep, I'm in the camp of probably wanting to keep 2 of the 3 d-men. Based on handedness, Larsson would probably stay. Between Klefbom and Nurse, I'm mostly indifferent - it would depend on perceived value and what we could get in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad