Who do you keep on this roster for next year?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Neither are realistically an ideal 1st pairing Dman. They literally have to overachieve and play above their usual level to take this team anywhere.

Ya, I feel like they are both #3s. Having one of them as your #2 is fine if you have someone better than them to pair them with. Both of them on your top pairing to me is a recipe for mediocrity at best.

Reactions: frag2

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
None of you are mentioning Patrick Russell, neither to go or stay. What are your sentiments about him after his first three games (and two healthy scratches) for the big club?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
None of you are mentioning Patrick Russell, neither to go or stay. What are your sentiments about him after his first three games (and two healthy scratches) for the big club?
He's an RFA when this season concludes he seems like an easy keep and re-sign to another bargain contract and see where it goes from there. As for his long term NHL aspirations, I like that he brings elements of a complete game and doesn't get shoved off pucks easily, I'm doubtful he brings the necessary scoring punch at the moment to chip in that 15-20 points we'd want out of a 4th liner, that's likely the main stumbling block for him staying more permanently. While I know him PK'ing in the AHL was one of the stronger aspects of his game he'll need to show that in the NHL as well and get the coaches trust, that could quite likely be what gives him the edge in staying over top of another prospect of similar quality.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'm not as pessimistic as most here, I guess. I'd keep the core, which I think is McDavid, Drai, RNH, Larsson, either Klefbom or Nurse. I'd also keep Yamamoto and Bouchard, as well as the other prospects like Benson, Jones, Bear, Marody, etc. I think I'd keep Koskinen but it's too early to tell. Besides that, I'd be open to moving anyone else for the right deal.
Exactly this for me. Only attached to McDavid, Drai, RNH, and Larsson. Would like to see Khaira succeed into a 3rd liner but definitely doubting it. Probably fewest amount of players ever as a 40 year Oilers fan.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's way too early for me to answer that question but I guess McDavid, Drai, Klefbom, Hopkins and Larson.

But it doesn't really matter.
Not only is it too early... most of those guys I didn't list will probably be back next year regardless.

Reactions: ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The team's gonna be as good as they perform. Reality is even as 'sellers', we aren't really in a position to be shipping out anyone with significant value. We might see some money move out, which may provide some ability marginally upgrade the forward group.

Well the team's not going to get better by fiddling around the edges. They've done that for two years now.

I think if they make dumping salary a priority and using an asset like Nurse to upgrade the F group, they could take a step forward, especially if some of the players currently in Bakersfield are able to make the jump.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Benson-McDavid-Draisailt
???-RNH-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Marody/McLeod-Yamamoto
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Jones

Koskinen

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well the team's not going to get better by fiddling around the edges. They've done that for two years now.

I think if they make dumping salary a priority and using an asset like Nurse to upgrade the F group, they could take a step forward, especially if some of the players currently in Bakersfield are able to make the jump.
I just don't understand how someone who consistently slags the defensive group thinks that taking from it is the right move to improve the team. If Darnell moves, that trade needs to be bring back a better defenseman. And one that's team controlled for more than two years at an affordable clip.

The team is in no position to be giving up any of its futures for a quick fix here or there. Our needs both short and long term are pretty specific. We need the futures we currently have and we can't be putting ourselves behind the eight ball in terms of salary commitment.

At least we're on the same page when it comes to clearing salary. Fortunately so is Peter Chiarelli, which is why the team has stood pat more or less over the past couple offseasons. Moving salary in this league is incredibly difficult.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I just don't understand how someone who consistently slags the defensive group thinks that taking from it is the right move to improve the team. If Darnell moves, that trade needs to be being back a better defenseman. And one that's team controlled for more than two years at an affordable clip.

Because I'm thinking long-term. I think Darnell will soon find himself redundant, especially if he continues to spin his tires. He also has the highest value for reasons you touch on here and is the most likely to return either a top D man or a genuine scoring threat up front. So, if the team wants to fast track its development (rather than just flush another season down the drain due to inactivity) that's one way to do it. Nor do I see making a move like that as being at odds with maintaining the stock of futures that the team will need to be competitive down the line.

The team is in no position to be giving up any of its futures for a quick fix here or there. Our needs both short and long term are pretty specific. We need the futures we currently have and we can't be putting ourselves behind the eight ball in terms of salary commitment.

Well, that's rather difficult given the lack of room to maneuver they have.

At least we're on the same page when it comes to clearing salary. Fortunately so is Peter Chiarelli, which is why the team has stood pay more or less over the past couple offseasons. Moving salary in this league is incredibly difficult.

I'm not quite as willing to give the guy credit for "standing pat" when he's the guy who boxed himself in to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->