Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
- I see Wahlstrom is a very popular choice. Perhaps we shouldn't be so worried about sliding in the lottery. I think he'll still be on the board at 6.

I wouldn't take the rankings as anything more than a general indication. What we consider safe is relative. The Jarmo Kekalainen off the board selection of Dubois still stings.

- does anyone really think Bergevin will pass on Tkachuk at 4, assuming the consensus top 3 are off the board?? You could describe the prototype for MB's hockey player man-crush, and it would be Tkachuk's profile. If the Habs stay at #4 (unlikely), they'll probably start selling his jersey on April 29.

Another reason not to have Bergevin as the ultimate decision-maker. This is a draft we cannot afford to make mistakes at.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't get the love for Wahlstrom personally.... But I can't say I've seen enough of him and paid enough attention to really have a definitive opinion.

But from what I've seen so far Quinn Hughes is my guy. Top skating skills and this is what really matters the most. He also sees the ice well and has a good pass. His shot is not great though so you'd have to hope he'd improve that if he were to become elite. But at the same time he's also incredibly under developped physically, which gives the most room for improvement - especially in the shot department.

But I can't say that I have an educated opinion on the subject. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of these guys.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The the thing I see is when I look at their stats as 17 years olds (Tkachuk is 9 month older) Wahlstrom easily outpaces him.

Tkachuk 2016-2017 season (was 17 years old)

USHL 24 games 12 G 11 A 23 P
USDP 61 games 25G 29 A 54 P

Brady Tkachuk

Wahlstrom 2017-2018 year (was 17 years old)

USHL 26 games 22G 23 A 45 P
USDP 54 games 40G 43 A 83 P

Oliver Wahlstrom

Quotes from the links you provided:

Brady Tkachuk: 6'3, 196 lbs: "Big body & isn’t afraid to use it. Plays all 200 feet of the rink & loves those dirty areas", ISS Hockey 2017

Oliver Wahlstrom: 6'1. 205 lbs: "Natural goal scorer - A threat whenever he's on the ice. Great anticipation & hockey sense", ISS Hockey 2017

From the above, Wahlstrom is the guy we want and need. Both players have size, Wahlstrom has that goal scoring ability and hockey IQ -- how do both compare in terms of skating ability and speed?

Also, why do a lot of ranking sources have Wahlstrom below Tkachuk and could that change for upcoming rank lists?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Brady Tkachuk: 6'3, 196 lbs: "Big body & isn’t afraid to use it. Plays all 200 feet of the rink & loves those dirty areas", ISS Hockey 2017

Oliver Wahlstrom: 6'1. 205 lbs: "Natural goal scorer - A threat whenever he's on the ice. Great anticipation & hockey sense", ISS Hockey 2017

From the above, Wahlstrom is the guy we want and need. Both players have size, Wahlstrom has that goal scoring ability and hockey IQ -- how do both compare in terms of skating ability and speed?

Also, why do a lot of ranking sources have Wahlstrom below Tkachuk and could that change for upcoming rank lists?

Wahlstroms the better skater, though he's no speed demon.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But from what I've seen so far Quinn Hughes is my guy. Top skating skills and this is what really matters the most. He also sees the ice well and has a good pass. His shot is not great though so you'd have to hope he'd improve that if he were to become elite. But at the same time he's also incredibly under developped physically, which gives the most room for improvement - especially in the shot department.

If he doesn't have a shot now, how can he ever develop one to the extent that would make him above-average? I get flashbacks to Beaulieu who could skate and who was also a first round pick and with all the time since he was drafted, could never unload an NHL worthy shot. To me, that's a red flag.

Plus, do you really want to entrust the development of a player needing to improve such a key ability, to the type of clueless manglers Bergevin has favored since the start of his tenure? Hughes is not for this organization.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Most likely because Tkachuk plays in college similar to what poehling did last year, and for what Tkachuk did at the world juniors this year

Reactions: Runner77

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If he doesn't have a shot now, how can he ever develop one to the extent that would make him above-average? I get flashbacks to Beaulieu who could skate and who was also a first round pick and with all the time since he was drafted, could never unload an NHL worthy shot. To me, that's a red flag.

Plus, do you really want to entrust the development of a player needing to improve such a key ability, to the type of clueless manglers Bergevin has favored since the start of his tenure? Hughes is not for this organization.

Beaulieu is a goddamn idiot, though. The problem with him was between the ears, always. And Hughes' development will be handled by the NCAA. I don't expect him to play in the AHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most likely because Tkachuk plays in college similar to what poehling did last year, and for what Tkachuk did at the world juniors this year

Won't Wahlstrom have a chance to top him?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Beaulieu is a goddamn idiot, though. The problem with him was between the ears, always. And Hughes' development will be handled by the NCAA. I don't expect him to play in the AHL.
Hughes is already better than Beaulieu imo. You want to talk about a Beaulieu, maybe Merkley, although Merkley is FAR superior offensively. Definitely worth the gamble with a 2nd.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I totally appreciate that. But, as a general rule, when it comes to offence, you can't really teach a player to develop it -- he has the instincts for it or he doesn't. If we can land a player with better and more assured offensive tools rather than a project on a key offensive tool like a shot from the point for a D, then if there is no clear difference in rank, I'd rather have the player with his key offensive tools already developed -- of course, all other aspects being equal. I wouldn't want the player with the better shot and lower IQ or with deficient skating.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hughes is already better than Beaulieu imo. You want to talk about a Beaulieu, maybe Merkley, although Merkley is FAR superior offensively. Definitely worth the gamble with a 2nd.

I didn't mean to compare Beaulieu to Hughes, only to use Beaulieu as an example of a player who didn't possess a good shot and was never able to develop one after he was drafted. I believe there are a lot of examples like this. You can always teach defensive plays and positioning but you can't teach offensive ability.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I see I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather grab Evan Bouchard. The kid carried the Knights team, he was probably playing half of the games on most nights and was clearly their main guy. I was on the Dobson bandwagon a couple months ago, but I lean more towards Bouchard now.

I'd also love to have Wahlstrom, but I think Bouchard is the BPA and despite our very poor fit for him on the team I think you should always go for the BPA and figure things later.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I totally appreciate that. But, as a general rule, when it comes to offence, you can't really teach a player to develop it -- he has the instincts for it or he doesn't. If we can land a player with better and more assured offensive tools rather than a project on a key offensive tool like a shot from the point for a D, then if there is no clear difference in rank, I'd rather have the player with his key offensive tools already developed -- of course, all other aspects being equal. I wouldn't want the player with the better shot and lower IQ or with deficient skating.

He has all kinds offensive instincts, his shot is just a bit of a muffin though. Shots can be developed, whereas the instincts, as you point out, don't really develop.

The defenseman with the best tools, outside of Dahlin, is Boqvist. Filthy mittens, laser beam shot with a lightning quick release. But, I've said this before today as well, I wish Boqvist would play a little bit more like Hughes.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I didn't mean to compare Beaulieu to Hughes, only to use Beaulieu as an example of a player who didn't possess a good shot and was never able to develop one after he was drafted. I believe there are a lot of examples like this. You can always teach defensive plays and positioning but you can't teach offensive ability.
Hughes shot is definitely not something that is great, but his wrister is very good. He can create tons of chances, and he makes up for it in many ways.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He has all kinds offensive instincts, his shot is just a bit of a muffin though. Shots can be developed, whereas the instincts, as you point out, don't really develop.

The defenseman with the best tools, outside of Dahlin, is Boqvist. Filthy mittens, laser beam shot with a lightning quick release. But, I've said this before today as well, I wish Boqvist would play a little bit more like Hughes.
Don't really think he can have THAT much of a better shot, but I can see him score the goals just because of his IQ and skating ability. His shot is great at generating chances, which is also very useful.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Going through the Hughes and Boqvist profiles, Boqvist stands out the most to me. He's described as a "game breaker" and there's lots to like:

Smooth-skating puck mover who plays with flair and grace while owning one of the hardest shots of any draft-eligible defenseman. Boqvist is an attack-first option who loves to use his speed and agility to dart and weave around opposing zone schemes. He can quarterback a power play with the best of them, and he’s not shy towards unloading his howitzer with or without shooting lanes being clogged. His puck skills — especially stick-handling — and play within the offensive zone are extraordinary...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Unless you're convinced Wahlstrom is far and away the best player available, I think we should be looking at a dman.

I’ve never seen him play so I’m only going from what I’ve read on him from several sources. Sounds like he has all the tools and heart you’d want from a kid. Deadly sniper who’s not afraid of the physical part of the game. Was playing as a centre until put on Hughes line and was moved to wing. Scouting says he can be developed as a centre but who knows what management would decide.

In any case, he’s one of the younger and most skilled player in the draft. So if we’re looking for skilled scoring talent and Svetchnikov and Zadina aren’t available, he seems like the next best thing. That being said, Boqvist sounds like he can be a beast himself and would be a perfect partner for Weber in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad