Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Not sure who, but they should definitely target someone that can help them win now. That 4th draft pick won't be an impact until maybe 5 years down the line, and by the time, Price will be like 35-36, and Weber, 37-38....the window will be closed by then. The philosophy should be either win-now or complete rebuild, can't have it both ways.

They’re really bad right now and have lots of holes to fill. I hope they don’t trade it to go for it now, cause I can’t see it working out for them. Maybe they make a wild card spot next year and get bounced in the first round.

Elite young prospects is what this team needs.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Chose Walstrom even though we have a 2% chance of drafting 4th.

Good news is we have a better shot at Dahlin.

Bad news is we have an even better shot of dropping
to 5-7 spot.

We have to “win” the lottery to just not drop. What a dumb system.
so does every other team...

Reactions: Redux91

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You can easily get another way for him to play hockey next year, something you can even discuss at a pre draft interview. It's not a good reason to pass up on him because of it, if he is willing, you can offer a path which would have him play in the QMJHL for a team, and get him traded from Cape Breton if needed. I wouldn't even worry about this.

If his rights was traded and he agreed to play in a Canadian league for a team with a decent record of development(of real good/or star players) ..ok yes...but Harvard or Cape Breton, no way.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If his rights was traded and agreed to play in a Canadian league for a team with a decent record of development(of real good/or star players) ..ok yes...but Harvard or the Cape no way.
I also doubt he stays in junior for longer than 1 year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I go by the poll results so far, we'd have a potential ranking between 4-7 of Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Hughes and Boqvist.

Funny how Tkachuk is so despised in this thread and yet, he's leading the other two candidates even if it's not by all that much. Looks like the pro-Tkachukians are not posting. I'd like to hear more from them.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If I go by the poll results so far, we'd have a potential ranking between 4-7 of Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Hughes and Boqvist.

Funny how Tkachuk is so despised in this thread and yet, he's leading the other two candidates even if it's not by all that much. Looks like the pro-Tkachukians are not posting. I'd like to hear more from them.

Why hear from people, when you can watch and decide for yourself?

GoTerriers.com | The Official Site of Boston University Athletics

Brady really benefitted from the small ice in the WJC. He actually plays on a IIHF surface in Boston.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
What we need to do is to trade Pacioretty for a prospect plus 1st, then package that 1st with a 2nd or 2 and move up to the early teens and take Valeno.

It would be nice to come away with Boqvist + Valeno and whatever prospect from the Pacioretty trade.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I was thinking the exact same ting looking at the polls lol, made me think of all the silent trump voters

brady tkachuk wouldnt be the worst thing to happen to this franchise, everyones just pissed were not getting dahlin or svechnikov after all is all

but god i hope they take wahlstrom, i dont know how people know he's a timmins type of pick but if so, then even better

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Does anyone have scouting reports for those players that most experts rank in the 4-5-6-7 range (assuming a worst case scenario)?
Don't want to make a huge post, so I'll just leave the links next to the player.
Quinn Hughes: The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft Profile: LHD Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist: The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft Profile: RHD Adam Boqvist
Oilver Wahlstrom: The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft Profile: RW Oliver Wahlstrom
Noah Dobson: The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft Profile: RHD Noah Dobson

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
random thoughts ...

- not surprised that Hughes and Boqvist are so close in this poll.

- I see Wahlstrom is a very popular choice. Perhaps we shouldn't be so worried about sliding in the lottery. I think he'll still be on the board at 6.

- does anyone really think Bergevin will pass on Tkachuk at 4, assuming the consensus top 3 are off the board?? You could describe the prototype for MB's hockey player man-crush, and it would be Tkachuk's profile. If the Habs stay at #4 (unlikely), they'll probably start selling his jersey on April 29.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
random thoughts ...

- not surprised that Hughes and Boqvist are so close in this poll.

- I see Wahlstrom is a very popular choice. Perhaps we shouldn't be so worried about sliding in the lottery. I think he'll still be on the board at 6.

- does anyone really think Bergevin will pass on Tkachuk at 4, assuming the consensus top 3 are off the board?? You could describe the prototype for MB's hockey player man-crush, and it would be Tkachuk's profile. If the Habs stay at #4 (unlikely), they'll probably start selling his jersey on April 29.

I agree with everything completely

i honest to god think bergevin loves tkachuk, but i think a LOT of gm's do as well, and i really really think he goes 4, and i agree, going 5th or 6th is probably the better way to get wahsltrom

again, i dont HATE tkachuk, but i do beleive wahlstrom is better

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

i honest to god think bergevin loves tkachuk, but i think a LOT of gm's do as well, and i really really think he goes 4, and i agree, going 5th or 6th is probably the better way to get wahsltrom

Completely agree. Wahlstrom has a higher ceiling.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That’s the problem...
only if you dont understand the concept of lottery.

there's 15 teams, you cannot expect any "top" team to get 50% chances of keeping/improving their draft spot, otherwise only them would take part in the lottery...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Unless you're convinced Wahlstrom is far and away the best player available, I think we should be looking at a dman.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Unless you're convinced Wahlstrom is far and away the best player available, I think we should be looking at a dman.

I really like all of Boqvist/Hughes/Wahlstrom/Dobson.. as long as it’s one of them, I’ll be happy.

Of course Bergevin will probably take Tkachuk and I’ll be like this:

BrokenSlowBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
If we want Wahlstrom as a consolation to Dahlin then it is likely he is available 4-6 and the draft lottery won't affect us. He is #6 in consensus ranking but that could change in the next 2 months.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
That Brady Tkachuk kid has so many different views on him on this board. Some like him a lot and almost say he's elite while some say that he isn't much more than a future 3rd line center. Who should I believe? :dunno:

I don't know. I haven't been following the junior players, just hearing what people say about them. I

've watched some incredible highlights of Dahlin though. I love the way he likes to play on his off side: he's a lefty, but likes to play on the right side 5 on 5. It allows him to be open for the one timer and use his shot when he gets into the slot. I wonder if Petry could do that and play with Weber.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If we want Wahlstrom as a consolation to Dahlin then it is likely he is available 4-6 and the draft lottery won't affect us. He is #6 in consensus ranking but that could change in the next 2 months.

Typically there always a team that goes off concensus pick and throws a curveball, like CBJ taking Dubois in 2016.

Ironically, had they not, we would likely not have Weber today and would have one Hall/Draisaitl and Dubois.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That Brady Tkachuk kid has so many different views on him on this board. Some like him a lot and almost say he's elite while some say that he isn't much more than a future 3rd line center. Who should I believe? :dunno:

Some think he's a 35+ goal scorer.

The rest of us have watched him. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Janne Niinimaa

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

The the thing I see is when I look at their stats as 17 years olds (Tkachuk is 9 month older) Wahlstrom easily outpaces him.

Tkachuk 2016-2017 season (was 17 years old)

USHL 24 games 12 G 11 A 23 P
USDP 61 games 25G 29 A 54 P

Brady Tkachuk

Wahlstrom 2017-2018 year (was 17 years old)

USHL 26 games 22G 23 A 45 P
USDP 54 games 40G 43 A 83 P

Oliver Wahlstrom

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: