Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With Weber and Petry locked in as our #1 and #2 RD shouldn't we draft a LD or a forward then a RD like Boqvist and Dobson?

Hughes is small but just amazing
If we stay at 4 i se bergevin taking Tkachuk :/

Whoever the clear BPA is, we draft. If the players are close, then yeah, lean toward position.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Weber and Petry should have nothing to do with the decision on who to pick 4th overall.

In fact, I'd move Petry right now, personally, if we can sell high after a career year for him where he did get 12 goals and 42 points. He won't play similar minutes next year in Montreal if Weber is healthy and Juulsen, IMO, could play as the 2nd RD without hurting you. He might not produce as much offensively as Petry, but he'd be more stalwart on D.

Whoever we pick -- even a RD -- probably won't have an impact with the Habs until we've moved on from Petry (three more years, at most, if he isn't traded before his contract is up).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In fact, I'd move Petry right now, personally, if we can sell high after a career year for him where he did get 12 goals and 42 points. He won't play similar minutes next year in Montreal if Weber is healthy and Juulsen, IMO, could play as the 2nd RD without hurting you. He might not produce as much offensively as Petry, but he'd be more stalwart on D.

Whoever we pick -- even a RD -- probably won't have an impact with the Habs until we've moved on from Petry (three more years, at most, if he isn't traded before his contract is up).

I would move Petry as well, I would try and package him with Pac and even eat some money if need be to get a better pick/prospect.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's so risky to trade down, but I would still do it for the 2 isles 1st. Smith is a hidden gem and the chances are solid that a top guy falls.

Reactions: Runner77

Mathew11

Aug 17, 2008
Montreal
Weber and Petry should have nothing to do with the decision on who to pick 4th overall.

I agree as well but lets say they draft Boqvist and yes he's still so young but lets say he impresses at camp and makes the team, wont he be #3 RD?

Maybe it can force Bergevin to trade Petry for a C or picks/prospects

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Problem with Petry is that he has a NMC.

Does he not?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's more than risky. If you draft top 5 it's a mistake pretty much all the times.
We have talked before, so I stole part of this post.
Heiskanen for Rasmussen/Necas
PLD for Serga/McLoed
Strome for Meier/Gurianov
Draistail Ehlers Perlini
Drouin Horvat Domi
Chuck Trouba Grigo
Hubby for Hamilton and bust

And there was no reason for Vilardi to fall, it should be vilatdi+Necas vs Heiskanen which is an easy yes for me

Jul 6, 2016
Petry just has too many brain dead moments for me. One game he looks amazing. The next game he just turns the puck over way too often. He is just too inconsistent.

With Weber injury, Petry has to play way too many minutes. Hence the errors. Easy to understand. Give him second pairing duties, 20minutes and les, and he wil be fine.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
With Weber and Petry locked in as our #1 and #2 RD shouldn't we draft a LD or a forward then a RD like Boqvist and Dobson?

Weber has a foot injury that has been compared to Peter Forsberg's foot injury that forced his retirement. Petry is by no means a lock. The only 2 defensemen they have that will be here long term are Juulsen and Mete. Nothing else is concrete.

If they go to pick and Wahlstrom is there, I'm fine if they take him if they project him to play center. Center is the most important position in the NHL right now. And Montreal is weak down the middle. However if they take Tkachuk, I call bull ****. After centers, defensemen are more valuable than wingers. And the Habs need help on the back end more than a forward who can't create.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
With Weber injury, Petry has to play way too many minutes. Hence the errors. Easy to understand. Give him second pairing duties, 20minutes and les, and he wil be fine.

Or move Petry back to 3rd pairing and try Juulsen at 2nd pairing. Need to know what the kid can do.

Jul 6, 2016
No top line centermen available in the top ten picks this year. So go with a top four d man, any of them. It’ up to Timmins to pick the best.

Jul 6, 2016
Or move Petry back to 3rd pairing and try Juulsen at 2nd pairing. Need to know what the kid can do.

Way too early to put Juulsen top four. Geez, Petry got over 40 freagin point sthis season. Second pairing is his place.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Wahlstrom is a winger. As much as picking BPA can seem like a valid option, we are so behind the ball with centers that we have to consider the problem at hand. Let's assume Poehling might be a good 3rd center, we need offensively minded centers and we have more than enough wingers to surround them with. I'm assuming Drouin is a LW long term.

The 2 fins are the best centers in this draft, and even in the case of Kupari, that's not clear either but at the very least I would take a chance at influencing him back into the middle with the kind of speed he has.

Not sure why Veleno is top 10 in so many lists, he doesn't belong near the first round imo. I don't see Couturier in Veleno. Couturier had a much higher offensive top end at all levels.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Whoever the clear BPA is, we draft. If the players are close, then yeah, lean toward position.

Same here. I'll always go BPA. I'll give weights to different positions if it's close; center, RHD, LHD, winger, goalie. Naturally, I'll have to do some forecasting about needs, but I won't let needs be my main criteria. However, I will think about it, and it will have some weight.

So, if it's some franchise winger (BPA), I'll take them before a center. Otherwise, if it's close, I'll run down my criteria.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

BPA. I don’t see how Boqvist isn’t the BDA. I’d take him first over all D but Dahlin.

Never know how long we’ll keep Petry or Weber for that matter. Remember drafting Price right after Theo won Hart.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
BPA works for the top 5-10 (and even then). After that, seriously, it's pure crapshoot.

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Yes, but which position??
To hear Bergevin waffle over what the greater need is - center or defense - makes me think he doesn't know which position to lean towards. Combine that with MB's history of miscasting players, he could have Tkachuk and/or Wahlstrom pegged as centers, so if he picks one, we won't know if they were picked as BPA or to fill a need.

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
BPA. I don’t see how Boqvist isn’t the BDA. I’d take him first over all D but Dahlin.

Never know how long we’ll keep Petry or Weber for that matter. Remember drafting Price right after Theo won Hart.

I have Boqvist as 2nd best D as well and he's just about a year younger than his competitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad