Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
mod edit

Totally different players and personnality. Beaulieu barely reached 50 points in the Q.

Their only ressemblance is being unilingual Anglophones and having a "French" name

And the fact that NB was highly touted but has a lot of the same holes in his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jaffy27

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I’ve read a lot of posts on here and what I see a lot of is people pointing out the french talent depth for management and coaching positions sucks right now so we should start being more open about other options and another popular one is making fun of Bergevin and Therrien talk, which isn’t a knock on the french, it’s a knock on how those two in specific are terrible at communicating in two different languages. People are allowed to have an opinion that we don’t need to have french speaking staff in all important positions and that politics is getting in the way of that. It doesn’t make them anti-french but I’ve seen certain posters try and play victim so forgive me if there are in fact posters doing things other then what I said taking shots at a culture, which I think the mods have taken care of because I rarely see it.

It doesn't.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
First of all, let’s say I’m not a pro but somewhat knowledgeable so please don’t take my opinion as gospel :)

Also, can’t go wrong with both IMO.

Let’s say I view Boqvist as Seth Jones & Hugues as Werenski (less cerebral than Werenski but with a bit higher offensive ceiling)

I think in year 1/2 of their respective NHL career, Hughes will have a bigger impact but slowly but surely, Boqvist will round up as the better/more complete player), similiar to Jones’ development curve.

Not saying Hughes won’t improve but I truly think he’s closer to being a finished product than Boqvist and if I hesitate between the 2 while I think one is not even close to his potential and the other is more ‘what you see is what you get’’, I pick the former.

My prediction is Boqvist becomes a 50-60pts all around D 1st pairing material & Hughes becomes a 50 pts borderline 1st pairing/excellent 2nd pairing D with elite PMD abilities

I'm not sure how you can say this. I'm not as familiar with Boqvist, but comparing Hughes this year to last year, he made a huge developmental jump in my view. He was good last year with the NTDPs, but this year he absolutely dominates from the back his first year in the NCAA. If you look at the other guys he played with last year, they haven't had similar developmental explosions. So, it's really hard to say how close he is to his ceiling. I just love watching the kid, but will that translate to a top NHL PMD,... hard to say.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's Boqvist or Wahlstrom for me.. but I'm expecting Dobson or Tkasuck

Some Calgary fans on the Rumors Board, inquiring about the Habs' pick so they can reunite both Tkasucks. If the Habs don't land the first two picks, do they entertain an offer?

p.s. thanks Geecko and The Great Schlemko for alerting me about my error.

Last edited:

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
Some Vancouver fans on the Rumors Board, inquiring about the Habs' pick so they can reunite both Tkasucks. If the Habs don't land the first two picks, do they entertain an offer?

Why would they care?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why would they care?

It's the usual fake trade banter. They're asking if we would entertain trading our pick. For shits and giggles.

Oops ... I now realize the blunder I made. I meant Calgary fans. My apologies.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Some Calgary fans on the Rumors Board, inquiring about the Habs' pick so they can reunite both Tkasucks. If the Habs don't land the first two picks, do they entertain an offer?

Yes, and are offering Monahan for our pick

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

If the Habs don't win the lottery, I'm hoping Calgary lands in the #3 spot.
Let them cleanse the draft options of Mr. Tkaracter.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'd do it if Dobson or Hughes were there, one of which who I suspect will be "left" around #7 or #8.
I'd rather us pick Wahlstrom TBH........

6'1, over 2 Bills.....Shoots right and is a scoring machine, every level he's ever played he's scored TONS, almost a goal a game pace.....this is what we need!!!!

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
How do Hughes/Dobson/Boqvist compare to when Sergachev was drafted?

I haven't seen Dobson as much, but defensively and hockey IQwise, Hughes is light years ahead of Serge... and I liked Serge. Serge was a physical specimen, but often looked lost in the D zone. He could skate around people on the rush and had a good shot. Hughes has better hockey IQ (can find anybody anywhere on the ice... it's crazy) , is good defensively and is a great skater. That skating helps him defensively and gets him out of trouble in the Dzone, instead of having to be more physical. He doesn't have a strong shot. Boqvist is somewhat like Serge, I would say. Defensively weak, but offensively strong due to physical factors.

I'll add.... Hughes' biggest weakness is his size/physicality. He simply got overpowered by Evans in the Frozen four game, because he had him covered like a blanket. Getting overpowered by Evans doesn't bode well for projection to NHL status. That being said, pair him with an imposing stay at home D man (Weber) and Hughes gets that pair out of the Dzone, while Weber clears the crease.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

6'1, over 2 Bills.....Shoots right and is a scoring machine, every level he's ever played he's scored TONS, almost a goal a game pace.....this is what we need!!!!

Yeah, I should have said I'd consider a trade down. Wahlstrom is #1 on my list outside the obvious top-2 players. Fills an obvious need and BPA to me around the low-to-mid top-10.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Doesn't matter who we pick...habs have a way of destroying players. Player development is a joke here.

In this sense, it does really matter who we pick. There are players who, due to circumstance, will avoid our player development system. Anyone who's involved in the Swedish system probably won't play for our AHL affiliate (there's literally no purpose beyond a short stay to get used to the smaller ice surface). Likewise for NCAA players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If the Habs stay at #4...that's my guy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In this sense, it does really matter who we pick. There are players who, due to circumstance, will avoid our player development system. Anyone who's involved in the Swedish system probably won't play for our AHL affiliate (there's literally no purpose beyond a short stay to get used to the smaller ice surface). Likewise for NCAA players.
Anyone the Habs will be picking - assuming they remain in the top 5.

"should" be able to make the jump to the NHL whenever they're ready to move up...so I don't think it matters.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
What's with the hate for Tkachuk? I kind of like him, I think he already has an NHL game.

I like Wahlstrom a lot, but the fact that he's slated to go to Harvard just leaves a sour taste. Reminds me of Louis Leblanc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->