Speculation: Who can protect Andersen?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Harpur is going to be the main guy. He'll get retribution on the guy (or someone else on the other team) and he's not a big loss off of the roster if he goes out for fighting. He's a big guy with good fighting skill so I don't think he's afraid to fight anybody... The other guy might be though.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’m curious to see how they respond this year. Surely thy won’t turn their backs again. That is not the Leafs way.
Well,in the past,we saw the 'retaliator ' get the penalty...so,not retaliating was considered smarter,but a player needed self -discipline and the ability to 'take-it' without dishing it out. The problem became the referee's being criticized for a non-call on the original infraction,which then led to an escalation of dirty play. Hard to deal with ,when watching your bread and butter player get creamed because of a lack of respect generally.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Why, it was ineffective. .....and 2 minutes vs remainder of game without Anderson.....I'd take that.

If that’s something the other team really wants to do, there’s not stopping it. Run the goalie, take a 5 inure major, and you’re out of the game. Unless you think Tie Domi would have followed him into the shower, what is “toughness” going to do then?

I get it, being soft leads to teams taking liberties. I don’t like it either. I wish we were a much tougher team. There are, however, lots of ways to discourage that. Having a great power play is one. You want to play physical, fine, get ready to eat a pile of SH goals. That’s exactly what the London Knights do, and it seems to work pretty well for them, right?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Love his hitting ability...mean and clean...not so sure about the rest of his game,but he is the kind of player I like to see progress.
He can skate and shoot, too. Iirc he fought in his first game with us.

He brings toughness we need and I'd love to see him secure a bottom pairing spot.. with Dermott out to start the season it's possible.

Call me a Borgfan

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Harpur is going to be the main guy. He'll get retribution on the guy (or someone else on the other team) and he's not a big loss off of the roster if he goes out for fighting. He's a big guy with good fighting skill so I don't think he's afraid to fight anybody... The other guy might be though.
I'm sure Chara might wrestle him but I doubt he even goes toe to toe blow for blow with him.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Yeah me too.....then with Muzzin, Moore and possibly Agostino we have a little more sandpaper than last year
Even guys like Johnsson and Kappy will be another year into their careers and a little more confident playing with that edge. They both threw a lot of hits in the playoffs last year and add the same type of bite as Moore. Not so much a threat to fight, but they have that edge in their games that should continue to grow

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Does anyone even have any evidence to suggest players on tough teams get hit less than players on soft teams?

If you watch hit compilations it's a pretty even spread.

How much revenge do the tough teams even get after their player is hit? Not much. Just a bunch of gloves on the ice and F bombs and yo mama jokes and then the game goes on.

Soft team ends up on the powerplay as well.

It's 2019. Stickhandling with your head up at top speed and takeaways off a backcheck are the new grit. Leafs are built for that style of play, not gang wars.
Our zero playoff round wins say hi.

Sit Martin...Kadri gets suspended
Don't address lack of grit at the deadline....Whatdaya know. The same thing happened.

Who could've possibly seen that coming? This soft ass team has no chance of lasting 4 playoff series. Playoffs are war. That's what you fail to understand.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
If we end up with Harpur, Ceci and maybe Bergman, plus Muzzin and Reilly on our back end to start the season, that’s not a pushover defence.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If we end up with Harpur, Ceci and maybe Bergman, plus Muzzin and Reilly on our back end to start the season, that’s not a pushover defence.

Does Ceci have that grit to his game? I actually dont know. I've been trying to figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad