Speculation: Who can protect Andersen?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Maybe feisty would be a better word for him

I would honestly add all of those guys to the "feisty List". Hyman could be an exception.

But our "toughest" player in the system right now is without a doubt Ben Harpur. But there's no guarantee he's a regular in the lineup

Reactions: TopCheese

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I don’t understand gauthier.. he must realize that even if he were to pretend to be tough every once and a while he would make millions and millions of dollars and could have a long nhl career, but alas he is a gentle giant I guess

Yeah Dude I dont get it either. He could be a Bryan Boyle clone if had even a 30% of a nasty side to him.

How come every leaf prospect has no nasty mean streak them.

Our last prospect that had any sort of a real nasty side was Nazem Kadri :(

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Why can’t anyone that’s on the ice stick up for Andersen if he’s being run or harassed? Last year was a joke.

We ended up trading away one of our few D-man who was Physical in Zaitsev too lmao.

But like I said....we need to Pray Ben Harpur impresses in camp because he could solve a lot of these "protect" Anderson problems

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We ended up trading away one of our few D-man who was Physical in Zaitsev too lmao.

But like I said....we need to Pray Ben Harpur impresses in camp because he could solve a lot of these "protect" Anderson problems
Zaitsev never pushed anyone out of the crease that was banging at loose pucks. Soft as butter.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
*Assuming Ben Harpur impresses in Training Camp and doesn't look a complete scrub

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Mathews - Nylander
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen
Engvall - Gauthier - Marchmant

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

Bolded are who I think fall under one of these categories: Tough/Gritty/Feisty/Physical

Good combination of grit and size to go with our Skill imo

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
you're talking in the present sense

...are the Leafs playing right now or something?
Just musing at some of the new players. I like skill guys too but none of the new guys possess that missing ingredient. Does Spezza play with with an edge? When other teams score in close they are celebrating in the goal crease, and no one does squat. Our guys score and they are laid out on the ice. I am tired of seeing this..

Feb 24, 2017
Your team would be awesome if you could airlift in that line with 2012(?) Brown, Orr and McLaren in place of the least played 3 regular forwards. :DD

Reactions: Madap

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I can agree with that
Wasn’t he on the ice the time Andersen started to chase the Arizona player that ran him. The poor Coyote was looking to get hit by one of the Leafs D and was shocked when they never did anything. I imagine he felt bad for Andersen.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
*Assuming Ben Harpur impresses in Training Camp and doesn't look a complete scrub

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

Bolded are who I think fall under one of these categories: Tough/Gritty/Feisty/Physical

Kerfoot will be in there.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

None of Engvall, Gauthier, Marchment or Harpur will be in the lineup.

And Gauthier, really?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

Did Kerfoot forget how to skate?

Reactions: moon111

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

So Kerfoot is missing? Does he just not exist in this world of yours?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
None of Engvall, Gauthier, Marchment or Harpur will be in the lineup.

And Gauthier, really?

Gauthier will definitely be in the Mix. Not sure why you're totally counting him out.

And I agree Engvall wont make it. But Marchant definitely will be in the mix for a vacant spot in the 4th line.

In terms of Harpur...Dubas literally said in his post-trade interview he's gonna get a legit shot. Thats why I put the asterisk at the beginning of my post

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engvall/Mikheyev -
Spezza - Marchmant

Reilly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Our PP should be a big deterrent.

Not really. Referees can be unpredictably political in big games and the playoffs, and will make discretionary non calls so as to not hand out 9 power plays and "decide the game."

A team like Boston has completely gamed this system so if they commit 30 penalties, only a fraction get called but the bruises pile up on your end and then you end up taking retaliatory calls and the special teams get balanced out.

The idea that your PP will torch the opposition is some kind of progressive analytic fantasy and a byproduct of not actually watching games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t understand gauthier.. he must realize that even if he were to pretend to be tough every once and a while he would make millions and millions of dollars and could have a long nhl career, but alas he is a gentle giant I guess

I don't know what kind of Green Mile thing is going on with him, seems like he wants to win a lot of Lady Byng Trophies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really. Referees can be unpredictably political in big games and the playoffs, and will make discretionary non calls so as to not hand out 9 power plays and "decide the game."

A team like Boston has completely gamed this system so if they commit 30 penalties, only a fraction get called but the bruises pile up on your end and then you end up taking retaliatory calls and the special teams get balanced out.

The idea that your PP will torch the opposition is some kind of progressive analytic fantasy and a byproduct of not actually watching games.
The NHL as a league has decided they play by different rules in the playoffs. Its as ticky-tacky as it gets, but they believe that's why people watch in the playoffs. I find it hilarious how they let go blatant trips, obstruction, and such, but then are forced to call really annoying crap because its mandated like shooting the puck over the glass when trying to clear the zone (and to a lesser extent broken stick slashes). It just amps up the ridiculousness.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The NHL as a league has decided they play by different rules in the playoffs. Its as ticky-tacky as it gets, but they believe that's why people watch in the playoffs. I find it hilarious how they let go blatant trips, obstruction, and such, but then are forced to call really annoying crap because its mandated like shooting the puck over the glass when trying to clear the zone (and to a lesser extent broken stick slashes). It just amps up the ridiculousness.

This is why the cure all is to build a balanced team that can be relatively comfortable playing in any situation and not one that is overwhelmingly "skilled" so that it ignores reality on the ice. The idea that we can somehow toe drag, 2 on 1 odd man rush and PP tic tac toe our way to the top is just naive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad