Who are your top 10 prospects

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
This is a top 10 ranking, no? ROR name should be nowhere near the discussions and it’s questionable that he’s in the top 20 of a pool as deep as this. We’re talking about someone who’s best NHL case is a 6/7 in this league. The more likely scenario is he gets games at times but is a career AHL player who bounces around a couple organizations before fizzling out all together.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is a top 10 ranking, no? ROR name should be nowhere near the discussions and it’s questionable that he’s in the top 20 of a pool as deep as this. We’re talking about someone who’s best NHL case is a 6/7 in this league. The more likely scenario is he gets games at times but is a career AHL player who bounces around a couple organizations before fizzling out all together.
O'Rourke was seen as more of a top 4 guy, maybe a Middleton type.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We'll see. As of now, ROR and Hunt are more similar than different. About the same size. Hunt scored 11 pts./+2/14 PIM, ROR 9pts/+10/18 PIM. To my eyes, Huntis a slightly better skater, and slightly more aggressive offensively, ROR better in the D zone, but even there the differences are slight.

I don't think Army's usage did either guy any favors. Hunt got some limited PP TOI towards the end of the year.

Bottom line is that while ROR might not be anything good, the reverse might also be true. It's too soon to say.

Last edited:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
We'll see. As of now, ROR and Hunt are more similar than different. About the same size. Hunt scored 11 pts./+2/14 PIM, ROR 9pts/+10/18 PIM. To my eyes, Huntis a slightly better skater, and slightly more aggressive offensively, ROR better in the D zone, but even there the differences are slight.

I don't think Army's usage did either guy any favors. Hunt got some limited PP TOI towards the end of the year.

Bottom line is that while ROR might not be anything good, the reverse might also be true. It's too soon to say.
More similar than different? Each as been trending opposite directions since they were drafted.

Increasingly hard to project an average sized defender who has well below average skating, no discernible ability on either end of the ice, who also will struggle to move the puck at the NHL level. Even the physicality that played at the junior level cannot travel at even the AHL level because he cannot carry it on his frame without further limiting his skating. Let alone being able to handle NHLers.

At this point he’s a no count prospect who watches other defensive prospects pass him up in the organization year after year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
More similar than different? Each as been trending opposite directions since they were drafted.

Increasingly hard to project an average sized defender who has well below average skating, no discernible ability on either end of the ice, who also will struggle to move the puck at the NHL level. Even the physicality that played at the junior level cannot travel at even the AHL level because he cannot carry it on his frame without further limiting his skating. Let alone being able to handle NHLers.

At this point he’s a no count prospect who watches other defensive prospects pass him up in the organization year after year.
Sorry, but i disagree there on all points. ROR is a good(not great) skater. He is vg in D zone coverage, as i have mentioned countless times. He has a decent or better first pass, and composure in his own end. He also has a decent shot from the point. I would like to see him take more risks in the carrying the puck in the neutral zone, and would like him to get stronger, but you can say that about almost all of the young prospects. I simply don't see what you are seeing, and i don't see stats that back up what you are saying.

I like Hunt a bit better, but he has had trouble playing full seasons. All of his injuries have been of a different type (skate blade cut, broken wrist from shot, mono)rather than a series of ACL tears, so I am putting them down to bad luck.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Sorry, but i disagree there on all points. ROR is a good(not great) skater. He is vg in D zone coverage, as i have mentioned countless times. He has a decent or better first pass, and composure in his own end. He also has a decent shot from the point. I would like to see him take more risks in the carrying the puck in the neutral zone, and would like him to get stronger, but you can say that about almost all of the young prospects. I simply don't see what you are seeing, and i don't see stats that back up what you are saying.

I like Hunt a bit better, but he has had trouble playing full seasons. All of his injuries have been of a different type (skate blade cut, broken wrist from shot, mono)rather than a series of ACL tears, so I am putting them down to bad luck.
You can’t watch as much Iowa and you claim to do and think ROR is a good skater at the NHL level.

None of his traits that you think he has are passable right now at the AHL level. Project those out at a reasonable level factoring in what can be developed yet at this stage and say with a straight face you think he has the makings of being more than a 6/7. I don’t think you can if you spend any amount of time watching Iowa. Hell, it’s very likely he’s the 6/7 in Iowa this year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't see any difference in the ability to create offense from any of the Faber, Hunt, Lambos, Peart, ROR, or Spacek is a RD and MN is pretty empty there so I think he has a better chance due to lack of numbers.

Just looking base stats (random order on how I looked them up) from their d+2 season I can't tell them apart.
1. 58 games (Q), 13g/44a, 57p NHLe 23
2. 46 games (WHL), 17g/22a, 39p NHLe 21
3. 51 games (OHL), 10g/36a, 46p NHLe 24
4. 61 games (WHL), 12g,13a, 48p NHLe 19
5. 39 games (NCHC) 3g/21a, 24p NHLe 22
6. 38 games (B1G) 4g/23a, 27p NHLe 19

I used NHLe calculator from dobberhockey because it's an okay way to compare scoring between the leagues. NHLe is not a stat I'd pick for a hill to die on, more like a +/- stat (quick look) to me.
My rankings are less based on stats and more on what I saw from them in years past when they were here for development camp. Lambos looked better at skating and more offensively equipped.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can’t watch as much Iowa and you claim to do and think ROR is a good skater at the NHL level.

None of his traits that you think he has are passable right now at the AHL level. Project those out at a reasonable level factoring in what can be developed yet at this stage and say with a straight face you think he has the makings of being more than a 6/7. I don’t think you can if you spend any amount of time watching Iowa. Hell, it’s very likely he’s the 6/7 in Iowa this year.
Don't see why you have to question my judgement, or the fact that I have watched Iowa games, even though i would estimate that I have watched all, or parts of about 80 AHL games that he has played. Do you do that in real life? Insult, or belittle people who don't agree with you?

Once again, i think ROR is a decent skater. Certainly better than Merrill, Middleton, and Goligoski (who was actually a very good skater when younger). ROR's reads need to get better, and his flat out speed will get better when he gets stronger, but he is not a plodder. He has decent or better speed and edges. Also, he was, IMO, the best at man to man D zone coverage on Iowa, though that might be a back handed compliment.
Hicketts was not good defensively, Ottenbreit has slow feet so he can't get to or keep up with the man, S Jo ... not his thing, Hunt is a puck watcher. Mermis is decent... ROR always tried to keep physical contact with his man with either his body or stick, and shoulder checked more than any of the others. He is also fine defending line rushes, and makes smart, low risk plays when he has the puck along the boards in the D zone. His shot from the point is decent...fairly strong.

Again, this is my opinion, not fact, but I base it on watching about 80 games that ROR played in, at a position i played myself, and in a similar manner. If you can tell what about my observations are wrong, rather than just calling me names, I am all ears.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Don't see why you have to question my judgement, or the fact that I have watched Iowa games, even though i would estimate that I have watched all, or parts of about 80 AHL games that he has played. Do you do that in real life? Insult, or belittle people who don't agree with you?

Once again, i think ROR is a decent skater. Certainly better than Merrill, Middleton, and Goligoski (who was actually a very good skater when younger). ROR's reads need to get better, and his flat out speed will get better when he gets stronger, but he is not a plodder. He has decent or better speed and edges. Also, he was, IMO, the best at man to man D zone coverage on Iowa, though that might be a back handed compliment.
Hicketts was not good defensively, Ottenbreit has slow feet so he can't get to or keep up with the man, S Jo ... not his thing, Hunt is a puck watcher. Mermis is decent... ROR always tried to keep physical contact with his man with either his body or stick, and shoulder checked more than any of the others. He is also fine defending line rushes, and makes smart, low risk plays when he has the puck along the boards in the D zone. His shot from the point is decent...fairly strong.

Again, this is my opinion, not fact, but I base it on watching about 80 games that ROR played in, at a position i played myself, and in a similar manner. If you can tell what about my observations are wrong, rather than just calling me names, I am all ears.
Sensitive much? Point to where you were “called names?”

Great, you’ve played the position. So have about half the people in this state who have played hockey. You’ve spent years talking up ROR but I don’t think there’s a point in bring him up, never mind discussing, a #6/7 defender in a thread about the top 10 prospects in one of the league’s deepest, if not the deepest, prospect pools. Right now the focus should be whether he can be better than the #6/7 in Iowa that he certainly seems to be poised to start as.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad