Who are your top 10 prospects

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You know what's funny about this? My parents and I saw the badgers a number of times while he was at Wisconsin, including season tickets for his freshman year 07-08. I don't remember if it was that freshman year, but there was a game where McDonagh tripped over the badgers' net, turned the puck over, and the other team scored shortly there after. My mother still does not like McDonagh to this day because of that play. Whenever I bring him up she calls him "Donut" and shakes her head :laugh:

But I actually think the McDonagh comparison is great. I view that as near Faber's ceiling.
That's kind of inconsistent with your prior comment that Faber being top 3 is a sign of of lacking in our prospect pool.

A prospect with McDonaugh as ceiling, thats like 99% likely to atleast be an NHL player at 20 years old belongs in anyone's top 3 prospects.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The amount of 20 year old defenders who could step in at the end of a season, and claim a spot for the playoffs isn't terribly large. That's impressive. The offense will come, and as long as he gets Hjalmmarson territory, that's a valuable player.
This is exactly in line with what I'm saying. Hjalmarsson topped out as a 2nd pairing defensive dman. Great player and a key piece for the Hawks winning their Cups. My hope for the top 3 prospects are players with a legit chance to be good 1st line/1st pair players.

If Faber is top 3, that means we are missing players that will be at the top of the lineup.

From our prospect pool, here are the players that I have with a decent chance of being top of the lineup guys:
-Wallstedt
-Yurov
-Khusnutdinov

That's why they are my top 3 prospects.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's kind of inconsistent with your prior comment that Faber being top 3 is a sign of of lacking in our prospect pool.

A prospect with McDonaugh as ceiling, thats like 99% likely to atleast be an NHL player at 20 years old belongs in anyone's top 3 prospects.
I don't have Faber hitting his ceiling. I remember the talk around Brodin, when he was drafted, was that his absolute ceiling was Lidstrom. Ceilings are if everything goes right.

I will be overjoyed if Faber has a McDonagh level career. But I think it will be closer to Hjalmarsson/Larsson/Scandella level shutdown dman with some offensive upside.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wall
Faber
Rossi
Ohgren
Yurov
Marat
Hunt
Lambos
Bankier
Heidt

Walker too old. Was tempted to put in Milne. Petrovsky has some promise, Masters even more. ROR just on the outside, as is Beckman, Kump, Spacek, and Stramel...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I remember the talk around Brodin, when he was drafted, was that his absolute ceiling was Lidstrom.
I remember him being called "Lidstrom-Lite" not "the next Lindstrom".

Tough to predict someone possibly being the equal of the possible 2nd greatest D-man of all time. I don't recall that ever happening with Brodin, just that his game had similar traits in style.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't have Faber hitting his ceiling. I remember the talk around Brodin, when he was drafted, was that his absolute ceiling was Lidstrom. Ceilings are if everything goes right.

I will be overjoyed if Faber has a McDonagh level career. But I think it will be closer to Hjalmarsson/Larsson/Scandella level shutdown dman with some offensive upside.
That was a comment by Bowman, and a ridiculous one, that got everybody all riled up.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is exactly in line with what I'm saying. Hjalmarsson topped out as a 2nd pairing defensive dman. Great player and a key piece to for the Hawks winning their Cups. My hope for the top 3 prospects are players with a legit chance to be good 1st line/1st pair players.

If Faber is top 3, that means we are missing players that will be at the top of the lineup.

From our prospect pool, here are the players that I have with a decent chance of being top of the lineup guys:
-Wallstedt
-Yurov
-Khusnutdinov

That's why they are my top 3 prospects.

I'm with you, I get the value of a guy who looks like his floor is a second pair defensive d-man, but I like having upside, and outside of Wallstedt, I think we're missing some key upside. Yurov, Khusnutdinov and Rossi could be top line players, but I see them as more likely to end up in the range of good second liners. We don't have any guys who I look at and can comfortably project as first liners like Boldy was, and that's my gripe with our pool. Other teams don't have the depth we do, but they have those high upside guys. And if not in their prospect pool, they're U23 guys on the roster.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's easy to get offensive Dmen who score quite a bit, but don't play D. Guys like Shattenkirk. If they are off the charts good ofensively like Karlsson, Burns, and Josi then you forgive their D shortcomings.
It's getting Dmen who can play good defense while scoring 50+ points that are rare.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm with you, I get the value of a guy who looks like his floor is a second pair defensive d-man, but I like having upside, and outside of Wallstedt, I think we're missing some key upside. Yurov, Khusnutdinov and Rossi could be top line players, but I see them as more likely to end up in the range of good second liners. We don't have any guys who I look at and can comfortably project as first liners like Boldy was, and that's my gripe with our pool. Other teams don't have the depth we do, but they have those high upside guys. And if not in their prospect pool, they're U23 guys on the roster.
Part of me wonders if Stramel has a better chance to be 1C than Rossi simply because he's big enough to handle it. Dude is the same height as Eriksson Ek and 15 pounds heavier. Do you remember Jeremy Bracco? My biggest fear for Rossi is that he turns into Bracco.

Someone on twitter joked that the Wild went "What if we have 4 slightly different versions of Joel Eriksson Ek down the middle for all eternity?" when talking about the draft. Gotta admit, that's pretty accurate for at least the first two picks :laugh:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Part of me wonders if Stramel has a better chance to be 1C than Rossi simply because he's big enough to handle it. Dude is the same height as Eriksson Ek and 15 pounds heavier. Do you remember Jeremy Bracco? My biggest fear for Rossi is that he turns into Bracco.

Someone on twitter joked that the Wild went "What if we have 4 slightly different versions of Joel Eriksson Ek down the middle for all eternity?" when talking about the draft. Gotta admit, that's pretty accurate for at least the first two picks :laugh:

I'm not convinced that having 4 slightly different versions of Eriksson Ek wouldn't work

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Only if the other 3 all have as punchable of a face as JEE.

I don't know about punchable face, but Stramel's hair is Wild :)

1688159266073.png

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
1. Wallstedt
2. Rossi
3. Faber
4. Khusnutdinov
5. Ohgren
6. Yurov
7. Lambos
8. Stramel
9. Heidt
10. Hunt

I feel like Wall is a potential Franchise guy, Rossi is still a strong possibility to be the #1 C we have been looking for. Faber, Khus, Ohgren, and Yurov are all strong potential 2nd line/2nd pair guys who could maybe move upward to top lines, so they're in that tier. Then Lambos is a likely 2nd liner but I doubt he gets to that top tier status. Stramel, Heidt, and Hunt all seem to be 3rd line guys who could maybe reach 2nd line status.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It would depend on how he looks when the rough stuff is happening on ice... does he always have that goofy straight face like Ek does in every scenario?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Unfortunate that he needs to wear a helmet. Imagine being in a scrum and seeing that nest over his unassuming face. Definitely punchable, if you're already upset.

The smile in that picture is throwing it back to Ilya Bryzgalov "is only game, y u heff to be mad" vibes

Reactions: BagHead

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I still am more a little more apologetic for Rossi due to his missed year and if Judd said was 2nd in the AHL in forward icetime, then I trust that and am more hopeful. So he's still holds my #2 spot.

1Jesper WallstedtG
2Marco RossiC
3Danila YurovRW
4Brock FaberD
5Liam OhgrenLW
6Marat KhusnutdinovW/C
7Charlie StramelC
8Carson LambosD
9Adam BeckmanLW
10Sam WalkerRW

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So why is Lambos the highest ranked LD on a lot of these lists? What is it that puts him above the other LD prospects (other than draft position)?

I guess I mean what are others seeing that I don't? I just can't find anything that separates any of them from each other.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So why is Lambos the highest ranked LD on a lot of these lists? What is it that puts him above the other LD prospects (other than draft position)?

I guess I mean what are others seeing that I don't? I just can't find anything that separates any of them from each other.
Not going to lie, there is still a little bit of equity there for me based on draft position, but I also just don't really think that any of the other ones have seized the spot from him either.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not going to lie, there is still a little bit of equity there for me based on draft position, but I also just don't really think that any of the other ones have seized the spot from him either.
Basically where I am - less of "why do I have Lambos ranked high" and more of "which prospects has really taken the next step".

I've heard Hunt has done well but I've never see him more than a #4/5 guy and doesn't sound like he's done much to change that projection

I am actually very excited about Spacek and Peart to certain extent but I want to see what they do next season - I'm ready to throw them above Lambos.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Basically where I am - less of "why do I have Lambos ranked high" and more of "which prospects has really taken the next step".

I've heard Hunt has done well but I've never see him more than a #4/5 guy and doesn't sound like he's done much to change that projection

I am actually very excited about Spacek and Peart to certain extent but I want to see what they do next season - I'm ready to throw them above Lambos.
Ditto on Spacek. Don't think his ceiling is as high as Lambos or Peart due to puck skills/mobility but he plays an NHL style game and looked very good at the WJC. Think his positioning, defensive zone coverage, and simple outlets are more developed, thus he appears likely to reach his floor.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I have him over Hunt and O'Rourke due to his skating ability and ability to create offense. I'm also less sold on those two every getting a legit chance to play at the NHL level. I have both Peart and Spacek above them as well.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Strictly where he was drafted, i guess. I think Peart, and maybe Hunt are better prospects, and i still haven't given up on ROR. Peart has been playing in a better league than Lambos, and prospering, and ROR and Hunt are playing in a much better league. Peart is a really good skater. Hunt is also good, and ROR has decent mobility. I want Peart to continue where he left off last year, Hunt to do the same, and take advantage of the probable opening(s) on the PP in Iowa next year. ROR needs to be more assertive, but I'm not sure if simply maturity will help him there. I like some of the stuff he does in the defensive end better than any of our D prospects. His man on man d coverage is really good.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I have him over Hunt and O'Rourke due to his skating ability and ability to create offense. I'm also less sold on those two every getting a legit chance to play at the NHL level. I have both Peart and Spacek above them as well.

I don't see any difference in the ability to create offense from any of the Faber, Hunt, Lambos, Peart, ROR, or Spacek is a RD and MN is pretty empty there so I think he has a better chance due to lack of numbers.

Just looking base stats (random order on how I looked them up) from their d+2 season I can't tell them apart.
1. 58 games (Q), 13g/44a, 57p NHLe 23
2. 46 games (WHL), 17g/22a, 39p NHLe 21
3. 51 games (OHL), 10g/36a, 46p NHLe 24
4. 61 games (WHL), 12g,13a, 48p NHLe 19
5. 39 games (NCHC) 3g/21a, 24p NHLe 22
6. 38 games (B1G) 4g/23a, 27p NHLe 19

I used NHLe calculator from dobberhockey because it's an okay way to compare scoring between the leagues. NHLe is not a stat I'd pick for a hill to die on, more like a +/- stat (quick look) to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad