Who Are Your Top 10 Leafs Of All Time?

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I’m really quite surprised we don’t see more Rocky Saganiuk on these lists.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Gilmour
Matthews
Salming
Sittler
Keon
Sawchuk
Bower
Armstrong
Mahovolic
Cujo

And I'd like see Mats statue taken down. Mats never lead this team anywhere, he finished top five in scoring once, even Kessel did it twice as a Leafs. Mats was never the type of talent you could build a championship team around. He really got exposed when the cap hit and management couldn't prop him up with UFA talent every summer.

He was a really good center that was money for 30 goals. Like Jeff Carter without the cup rings. Not to mention he spit on the franchise when he didn't waive his NMC.

The amount of praise he got for 'taking a hair cut' on his last contract, he left like 775k in cap space on the table instead of gouging the Leafs but given the amount of money he made off ice for being 'the guy' in Toronto was a calculated decision.

He didn't even bother to show up for his number being retired.

Good guy, great player, I enjoyed his career but 'greatest Leafs' he has the all time record in points but those were a lot of empty calories.

Mats was always the guy you could count on to squeak into the NHL's top 50 player list.

Last time the Leafs went on a deep playoff run Mats had a wrist injury and by the time he got back to play the Hurricanes who the Leafs were a favorite against the Canes walked all over the Leafs on their way to the finals. It was embarrassing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sundinisagod

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Gilmour
Mattews
Salming
Sittler
Keon
Sawchuk
Bower
Armstrong
Mahovolic
Cujo

And I'd like see Mats statue taken down. Mats never lead this team anywhere, he finished top five in scoring once, even Kessel did it twice as a Leafs. Mats was never the type of talent you could build a championship team around. He really got exposed when the cap hit and management couldn't prop him up with UFA talent every summer.

He was a really good center that was money for 30 goals. Like Jeff Carter without the cup rings. Not to mention he spit on the franchise when he didn't waive his NMC.

The amount of praise he got for 'taking a hair cut' on his last contract, he left like 775k in cap space on the table instead of gouging the Leafs but given the amount of money he made off ice for being 'the guy' in Toronto was a calculated decision.

Good guy, great player, I enjoyed his career but 'greatest Leafs' he has the all time record in points but those were a lot of empty calories.

Mats was always the guy you could count on to squeak into the NHL's top 50 player list.

Last time the Leafs went on a deep playoff run Mats had a wrist injury and by the time he got back to play the Hurricanes who the Leafs were a favorite against the Canes walked all over the Leafs on their way to the finals. It was embarrassing.
Why left out the 99 run when he was the only guy who provided any offense in the ECF against the Sabres? In the 02 run as you mentioned he was injured.

It's funny that you put Matthews on your list who hasn't really done anything in the playoffs except for the Tampa series last year.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Why left out the 99 run when he was the only guy who provided any offense in the ECF against the Sabres? In the 02 run as you mentioned he was injured.

It's funny that you put Matthews on your list who hasn't really done anything in the playoffs except for the Tampa series last year.
Do I have document every season on this f'ing site. people split hairs seven times.

I'll indulge you, the Quinn successes were 500% on the backs of prime Cujo and Belfour. Anyone who watched those runs could see the Leafs hemmed in their own zone those two performing miracles each game.

I'll push the point (you're gunna ignore though but I'm counting this dunk) the Leafs even regressed when they traded for Mats instantly. The magic a team that went to back to back conference finals was instantly gone and the Leafs regressed to a non playoff team until Cujo arrived with Mats as 'the guy'

Mats was never in a conversation of a major award, Matthews is the favorite to win the Richard every season.

Matthews in on the list because he is an exceptional talent every year. Mats finished top five in scoring one time,

Matthews is a guy in the top five players list going into every season, Mats wasn't top 10, not top 20, not top 30, he was a fringe superstar. He's just a 30 goal scorer and spent most of his career outside the playoffs.

Talking about Matthews playoffs when Mats can't even get a team to the dance without hall of fame goaltending wipping his ass.

Mats didn't waive his NMC because he likes his summer golf and cruises, long summers and he could give a shit about winning a cup. Funny he always showed up for team Sweden with his A game though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are many greats that were around before I was, but based on players I have watched in my lifetime:

Sittler
McDonald
Salming
Vaive
Clark
Gilmour
Sundin
Matthews
Marner
Nylander

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Inspired by a segment done on overdrive, who are your top 10?

For me

1.Keon
2.Sundin
3.Sittler
4.Salming
5.Dougie
6.Cujo
7.Auston
8.Vaive
9.Potvin
10.Rielly

Matthews although the most talented and Marner probably 2nd most talented haven't done enough in the playoffs for me to rank them above the others, if they win a cup or make the finals I think you can have Willie, Mitch, Auston, Morgan in your top 5 easily, but until then I'm not going to rank them highly because they rack up points in the season.
If you claim Matthews and the current group can't be higher to avoid recency bias, maybe apply the same logic before ramping your favourite active players during your childhood up the list.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
If you claim Matthews and the current group can't be higher to avoid recency bias, maybe apply the same logic before ramping your favourite active players during your childhood up the list.
Has nothing to do with recency bias and everything to do with the fact they are the most talented, most paid and least successful group relative to their talent/contracts.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Cujo
Matthews
Tucker
Nylander
Brown
T. Domi
B. McCabe
Grabowski
Roberts
Lupul

Without thinking too long and hard these were my favorites to watch play as Leafs. Other than Matthews, Nylander and Lupul they all played an emotional brand of hockey. The hockey that makes the fans fans. They played hard, they played through anything and most importantly they played through my childhood. I became a fan before these guys but I was at an age when I started to care who was playing and how they were playing when Cujo came in.

Nothing tops (some things do, really though) Cujo stealing games and fighting. Matthews first game. Tuckers bloody face. Grabowski return from that Chara hit. Lupul odd man rushes with Kessel.

Reactions: Lauro

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Cujo
Matthews
Tucker
Nylander
Brown
T. Domi
B. McCabe
Grabowski
Roberts
Lupul

Without thinking too long and hard these were my favorites to watch play as Leafs. Other than Matthews, Nylander and Lupul they all played an emotional brand of hockey. The hockey that makes the fans fans. They played hard, they played through anything and most importantly they played through my childhood. I became a fan before these guys but I was at an age when I started to care who was playing and how they were playing when Cujo came in.

Nothing tops (some things do, really though) Cujo stealing games and fighting. Matthews first game. Tuckers bloody face. Grabowski return from that Chara hit. Lupul odd man rushes with Kessel.
When did you start watching the leafs?!

Grabovski? Top 10 leaf of all time?

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
I'm sure I saw Keon play but I don't remember it so my list is for all Leafs after Keon.

1. Sittler
2. Salming
3. Sundin
4. Matthews*
5. Gilmour
6. Clark
7. Marner*
8. Vaive
9. Nylander*
10. Potvin

I consider all three of the current Leafs to be close to those directly above them. If I redo this list a year from now I probably rank them all higher, especially if they show something this postseason.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Gilmour
Matthews
Salming
Sittler
Keon
Sawchuk
Bower
Armstrong
Mahovolic
Cujo

Boo this man!

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I'll go by the players I watched and grew up with.

Gilmour
Matthews
Marner
Sundin
Belfour
Cujo
Clarke
Kaberle
Reilly
Roberts

HM:
Kessel
Tucker
Potvin
Thomas
Nylander
Tavares

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
I do not understand. Roberts was an established player probably in the early to mid 2000's, Lupul was like 10 years later'ish.

I just don't even get it. But we all have our favorite dudes and that's awesome.
I'm missing the point of saying Roberts and Lupul are from different eras. I know that.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
These are basically lists of favorite players. I fail to see why people get so argumentative over them.

"What's your favorite color?"
"Green"
"That's bullcrap!"

It's because all the stuff that gets said on this forum has a direct effect on the Maple Leafs.

They listen to everything we say, so we have to debate it so that we're giving them the best info they can get.

Or, we are just shooting the shit on an internet forum.

Travis Green will be the next coach of the Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad