Who Are Your Top 10 Leafs Of All Time?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Inspired by a segment done on overdrive, who are your top 10?

For me

1.Keon
2.Sundin
3.Sittler
4.Salming
5.Dougie
6.Cujo
7.Auston
8.Vaive
9.Potvin
10.Rielly

Matthews although the most talented and Marner probably 2nd most talented haven't done enough in the playoffs for me to rank them above the others, if they win a cup or make the finals I think you can have Willie, Mitch, Auston, Morgan in your top 5 easily, but until then I'm not going to rank them highly because they rack up points in the season.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Gilmour
Steve Thomas
Ian Turnbull
Sittler
Clark
Cujo
Salming
Sundin
Lefebvre
Uncle Leo

Honorable Mentions:

Tucker
Hyman
Leetch
Belfour
Berg Zezel Osborne

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Top 10 greatest Toronto Maple Leafs of all time​

1. Dave Keon: Winner of four Stanley Cups, Keon could be the best player on the ice and the key to winning even when he didn’t score.

2. Syl Apps: He retired at 33, but Apps left an indelible mark on the franchise and the team’s trophy case. He won the first-ever Calder Trophy in 1937.

3. Charlie Conacher: He was big, he was fast, he put the puck in the net for the Blue and White. Conacher led the league in scoring twice and in goals five times.

4. Teeder Kennedy: Never the most skilled player, Kennedy worked harder than anyone on the ice and raised the play of his teammates through sheer determination.

5. Johnny Bower: Bower didn’t suit up between the pipes for the Leafs until he was 33, but became a star as soon as he did. He eventually played the second-most minutes of anyone in team history.

6. Frank Mahovlich: The highest-scoring left winger the franchise has ever seen, he nearly became the second 50-goal scorer in NHL history with 48 markers in 1960-61.

7. Tim Horton: Before his name became synonymous with coffee, the blue-liner was selected to six post-season All-Star teams in his 20 seasons with the Leafs.

8. Borje Salming: The Swede was a prototypical two-way defenceman, giving as good as he got to both ends of the ice and expanding the fans’ idea of what European players could bring to the NHL.

9. Darryl Sittler: Sidney Crosby’s nickname is “Darryl,” after Sittler. That’s really all you need to know.

10. Doug Gilmour: Played only seven seasons in Toronto, but in his first with the team in 1991-92, he put up 127 points on 32 goals and 95 assists – the best season by any Leaf ever

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
IMO, you should only rank players that you've seen play.
Absolutely and I’ve seen them all, now keep in mind the list doesn’t say best it says favourite. In all the road, river, pond, schoolyard, plaza parking lot ball hockey games I played I was always the Big M. So yeah he tops my biased list. lol!

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
1. Sundin 2. Cujo 3. Sittler 4. Salming 5. Clark 6. Kaberle 7. McDonald 8. Apps 9. Korolov 10. Roberts. Korolov and Cujo was reason became Leaf fan.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If so, then the original poster's list is absolute garbage.

The overdrive segment from yesterday specifically said Post 1967
It also doesn’t say best, so if he never saw the older generation play it’s hard to imagine they would be his favourite

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
"your top" infers favourite not necessarily the best

agree we can only really comment on those we have seen

here is my shot as an old guy - these and a toonie gets ya a coffee

and no current guys --- yet -- too much recency bias

1.Keon
2.Sundin
3.Sittler
4.Salming
5.Mahovlich
6.Horton
7.Yushkevic
8.Thompson
9.Armstrong
10.Pilar

Reactions: Al14

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Not in any particular order...

Al Secord
Daniel Marois
Dan Daoust
Ken Baumgartner (he could f*** you up and reformat your pc)
Wendel Clark
Peter Ing
Mats Sundin
Borje Salming
Gaaaarrrrrryyyyyy Roberts
John Anderson (both scarborough and Markham locations)

• Haha
Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
"your top" infers favourite not necessarily the best

agree we can only really comment on those we have seen

here is my shot as an old guy - these and a toonie gets ya a coffee

and no current guys --- yet -- too much recency bias

1.Keon
2.Sundin
3.Sittler
4.Salming
5.Mahovlich
6.Horton
7.Yushkevic
8.Thompson
9.Armstrong
10.Pilar
Pilar? I’m guessing he was your son.

Reactions: freshwind

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Inspired by a segment done on overdrive, who are your top 10?

For me

1.Keon
2.Sundin
3.Sittler
4.Salming
5.Dougie
6.Cujo
7.Auston
8.Vaive
9.Potvin
10.Rielly

Matthews although the most talented and Marner probably 2nd most talented haven't done enough in the playoffs for me to rank them above the others, if they win a cup or make the finals I think you can have Willie, Mitch, Auston, Morgan in your top 5 easily, but until then I'm not going to rank them highly because they rack up points in the season.
I find it interesting that winning a cup is what the most talented Leaf ever has to do to become #1, when all the players ranked above him haven't won a cup with the exception of Keon.

Reactions: 666 and Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

6. Frank Mahovlich: The highest-scoring left winger the franchise has ever seen, he nearly became the second 50-goal scorer in NHL history with 48 markers
14 games to get two goals just shattering so many were so pissed.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Do people actually intentionally omit the only player in franchise history with a 60 goal season, of which he has 2, who is only 1 of like 9 NHL players in history to have multiple, Hart Trophy, 3 time Rocket Richard, Ted Lindsay (Pearson)?

Reactions: js2k6 and Confucius

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

1. Dave Keon: Winner of four Stanley Cups, Keon could be the best player on the ice and the key to winning even when he didn’t score.

2. Syl Apps: He retired at 33, but Apps left an indelible mark on the franchise and the team’s trophy case. He won the first-ever Calder Trophy in 1937.

3. Charlie Conacher: He was big, he was fast, he put the puck in the net for the Blue and White. Conacher led the league in scoring twice and in goals five times.

4. Teeder Kennedy: Never the most skilled player, Kennedy worked harder than anyone on the ice and raised the play of his teammates through sheer determination.

5. Johnny Bower: Bower didn’t suit up between the pipes for the Leafs until he was 33, but became a star as soon as he did. He eventually played the second-most minutes of anyone in team history.

6. Frank Mahovlich: The highest-scoring left winger the franchise has ever seen, he nearly became the second 50-goal scorer in NHL history with 48 markers in 1960-61.

7. Tim Horton: Before his name became synonymous with coffee, the blue-liner was selected to six post-season All-Star teams in his 20 seasons with the Leafs.

8. Borje Salming: The Swede was a prototypical two-way defenceman, giving as good as he got to both ends of the ice and expanding the fans’ idea of what European players could bring to the NHL.

9. Darryl Sittler: Sidney Crosby’s nickname is “Darryl,” after Sittler. That’s really all you need to know.

10. Doug Gilmour: Played only seven seasons in Toronto, but in his first with the team in 1991-92, he put up 127 points on 32 goals and 95 assists – the best season by any Leaf ever
Oh the good o'l days, when you would go downtown to church and Carleton to watch Kennedy, Apps, and Conacher, then run on home to troll the Leaf's board on your 50 ft vacuum tubed computer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad