Speculation: Who are your favourite Leafs?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Maybe you should do your own. Nashville and Dallas play in states with no state taxes yet you still have guys like Johansen, Benn, Turris, Rinne (in his prime), Josi etc. making top dollar. Hell, the Panthers play in the same state and they still have to overpay or pay top dollar to players, look at Ekblad, Yandle, Bobrovsky and Matheson. You really going to come in here and tell me they took less cause of the "taxes"? The tax narrative is so stupid. Like do you think an agent goes to a team and says "hey since we don't have to pay state taxes, we'll lower our ask for you guys"? Stamkos took 8.5M because thats the most Tampa would offer, once he took that it created an internal cap. Thats why Tampa guys are signed for so cheap. They all take less to keep the team together. Maybe being in a state with no taxes makes it easier, but them getting paid less isn't only because of the taxes. So maybe, instead of acting like a smarts you should probably do your own research and use a bit of logic.
Again.
Do your research and you will see why a player in a state without state tax can earn much less yet take home the same money

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Again.
Do your research and you will see why a player in a state without state tax can earn much less yet take home the same money

Lol you have no comeback so you just ignore my point? Yes, players can take less in a city like Tampa cause they end up taking home more than others. But that isnt the main reason why the Tampa guys take paycuts, if it was im pretty sure teams like Florida, Dallas and Nashville wouldnt have to overpay guys. You also realize with not paying taxes, that means they have to spend money for other expenses right? The state doesnt just not charge taxes without accumulating money from other sources. People act like living in Florida is free just because theres no state taxes. Maybe you should do youre own research because youre clearly delusional. You’re actually dumb enough to think that agents lower their asks because of the tax situation. Funny how its only the Tampa guys that only take pay cuts. Not Florida, Nashville and Dallas like i mentioned before. I wonder why :sarcasm:

Reactions: Chompchompr

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Lol you have no comeback so you just ignore my point? Yes, players can take less in a city like Tampa cause they end up taking home more than others. But that isnt the main reason why the Tampa guys take paycuts, if it was im pretty sure teams like Florida, Dallas and Nashville wouldnt have to overpay guys. You also realize with not paying taxes, that means they have to spend money for other expenses right? The state doesnt just not charge taxes without accumulating money from other sources. People act like living in Florida is free just because theres no state taxes. Maybe you should do youre own research because youre clearly delusional. You’re actually dumb enough to think that agents lower their asks because of the tax situation. Funny how its only the Tampa guys that only take pay cuts. Not Florida, Nashville and Dallas like i mentioned before. I wonder why :sarcasm:
Why don’t you believe that taxes are the reason? It seems pretty obvious that the ability to take home the same amount of money with a smaller cap hit is exactly the reason .

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
And you sure manage to include enough insults in your opinion.
Justin Trudeau supporter?
Anyone who doesn’t have your opinion is dumb?

Reactions: smitty10

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Why don’t you believe that taxes are the reason? It seems pretty obvious that the ability to take home the same amount of money with a smaller cap hit is exactly the reason .

Taxes play a part but its not the whole reason why, players and agents don't go to teams and lower their asking price from teams in low tax states. Like that makes no sense. The Tampa guys are on cheap contracts cause they all took less. Why is it only Tampa that has guys on cheap deals and not Dallas, Florida or Nashville? Its not because of the taxes, I don't know how much more obvious I can make it for you.

Reactions: Chompchompr

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Matthews is still my favourite even after the incident. But it's also the only reason I have an HM: Marner.

All the other amigos, even Big John, who has only been a Leaf 1 year+, are still guys I really like. I like everyone on the team. They honestly all seem like great guys. But only 1 favourite.

But what do we really know at the end of the day about them? It's all an image they've built to show to the fans.

I was reading an article about how much of an impact drugs (Molly & Coke) have in the NHL, through anonymity. NHL does a good job trying to keep it in the dark, but it's a big thing and lots of NHL athletes are doing it because it passes your system in a couple days. Crazy shit man.

All we should judge them on is their hockey ability and willingness to win, along with how they conduct themselves off-the-ice.

In the public image, you are a Toronto Maple Leaf representative 365 days a year. No days off boy!

Previous 2 most recent favourites, in order?

Screenshot_20191106-182030_Firefox.jpg

72325776.jpg.0.jpg

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
100% agreed regarding Matthews.
As for Mitch, apparently he had offersheets available for more but still, the fact that he is mr gta, leaf for life, it seems nauseating that he held out to get offersheets and then tried to use them for leverage.
After some serious bad press and a hold out to start training camp he begrudgingly accepts easily a 1.5 million overpay. Yuck
Wonder why he didn’t sign the offer sheet from other teams. Was it because he really wanted to be a Leaf or realized the endorsement deals aren’t as fruitful outside of Toronto? If he leaves the Leafs that playing for your hometown team goes out the window. I highly doubt any teams sent any offer sheets. It’s Toronto, the media would find out if he got any offers let alone more than what we offered.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Lol, I think theyre all overpaid. But why should they take less if Tavares wasnt willing too? Matthews and Marner are both better, why would they take less? Just because the Sharks offered more money doesnt mean thats what Tavares was wprth. On top of that he likely makes up the difference in endorsements. Tavares is just as much the problem. In Tampa guys like Stamkos and Hedman took significantly less, thats why they have low contracts over there not because of the taxes.
Sorry, where do you see Marner and Matthews better than Tavares? Explain? The leafs record last year without Matthews and with Tavares was very good. If you want to go buy experience, Tavares has been captain and has at least won a round on his own with an inferior team.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Sorry, where do you see Marner and Matthews better than Tavares? Explain? The leafs record last year without Matthews and with Tavares was very good. If you want to go buy experience, Tavares has been captain and has at least won a round on his own with an inferior team.

Matthews and Marner's contracts ride them into their prime years, Tavares will likely be in his prime for only half his contract. In the end, Tavares still got top dollar. Nylander went and got as much as he should, then Matthews was given a blank cheque. At that point, if youre Marner why should you take a pay cut? You would basically be giving up money so the team can give other players more than they deserve. If Tavares came in and signed a more team friendly contract like $9.5-$10M, and Nylander was hardballed like he should have been, Matthews and Marner would come in at less. If I could write up the contracts I feel they should've signed for:

Tavares : $10M x 7
Nylander: $5.2M x 4 (he would still be an rfa)
Matthews $11M x 7 (using the jack eichel contracts as a comparable)
Marner: $9.5x6

That would be like $3.8M in cap saved if Dubas had just managed the cap and didn't let players dictate the negotiations.

Reactions: unitedstars87

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Matthews and Marner's contracts ride them into their prime years, Tavares will likely be in his prime for only half his contract. In the end, Tavares still got top dollar. Nylander went and got as much as he should, then Matthews was given a blank cheque. At that point, if youre Marner why should you take a pay cut? You would basically be giving up money so the team can give other players more than they deserve. If Tavares came in and signed a more team friendly contract like $9.5-$10M, and Nylander was hardballed like he should have been, Matthews and Marner would come in at less. If I could write up the contracts I feel they should've signed for:

Tavares : $10M x 7
Nylander: $5.2M x 4 (he would still be an rfa)
Matthews $11M x 7 (using the jack eichel contracts as a comparable)
Marner: $9.5x6

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Wow people like players on this team? News to me when reading every other thread. Seems to be a decent thread on Kerfoot though.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad