Speculation: Who are your favourite Leafs?

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
After watching this year's version of the Leafs, it's made me totally appreciate the heart and soul Wendel Clark brought to his team.

It's really a shame that many of the younger people on this board were too young to be able to watch what he brought each and every game......

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Matthews - nobody has or does get me out of my seat as much as he does.

Kapanen - speed, forecheck, backcheck, pk and decent offensive numbers for a third liner. He's more of what we need not less. Hopefully he stays out of trade proposals.

Nylander - slick and smooth. Great vision. Could he have a little more jam to his game? Sure but leopards don't change their spots.

Rielly - offensively he's been great. Seems to jump into rushes a lot more. Defensively he still has some warts but I think he'll iron those out and become a perennial Norris candidate.

Mikheyev - been very impressive. Not in a hurry to move him up off the third line yet because that line looks like it will be one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
JT - the only star player to ever come home
Matthews- goal scoring big 1C
Andersen- despite the hate is a legit 1G
Rielly- Not 100% sold on him being a top 10 dman yet but seems a good guy and works hard

h/m Nylander and Marner

Reactions: Erdinger

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Is this favourite all time or current?

All time - Mats and Tucks (I was born 88)

Current - Rielly is really the only one, hard to really like the big 4 forwards with their contracts and how that all went down.

Reactions: Dave92

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Lol, I think theyre all overpaid. But why should they take less if Tavares wasnt willing too? Matthews and Marner are both better, why would they take less? Just because the Sharks offered more money doesnt mean thats what Tavares was wprth. On top of that he likely makes up the difference in endorsements. Tavares is just as much the problem. In Tampa guys like Stamkos and Hedman took significantly less, thats why they have low contracts over there not because of the taxes.
Uhhh no.... they took less because of the taxes (and the no movement clause that came with their contracts). Do your research.

Mar 14, 2011
If youre going to crap on Matthews, Nylander and Marner you should probably go after Tavares too, I don't know why he gets a free pass when he pretty much gave the Leafs no discount. Why would the other 3 take less so Tavares can get more. Its a domino effect, if Tavares doesn't come to Toronto or signs for around 9.5M, the other 3 are likely on cheaper contracts.
Tavares is a UFA, those 3 guys were RFA, you are comparing red apples with green apples here . JT was actually offered a 13 mill AAV contract by the Sharks and he turned that down so he can come home. Now I dont know what the after tax money equivalent of that would be but I do know that he left 14 million dollars of before tax $$ in the table to come here, money that ended up going to Marner's contract after his agent got Dubas to pay Marner almost 2 mill $ (in terms of AAV) more than his worth.

The Matthews contract is 100% on Dubas thou, its like he didn't even wait or negotiate with that, cant blame AM or his agent when the Leafs GM was practically begging to be ripped off.

BTW its not just the Sharks but the Islanders also reportedly offered 11+ mill for 8 years (them being the only team that could offer JT 8 years because they were his original team), highers AAV and more security, yet he chose the Leafs. Their is still quite a big difference UFA vs RFA pay, the former has served their dues and are able to demand higher pay, do you really think Panarin, at his age, would have gotten anywhere near that contract if he still had 4 remaining RFA years on his contract? Skinner would have been very lucky to hit 7 had he been an RFA, dont for one second believe that propaganda spread last year of how RFA superstars are getting paid like UFA now, that may only be true here in Leafland.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Today's Leafs kind of remind me of some of the team's from the 80's. Young kids like the Hound Line that scored but couldn't play defense worth a damn.
Just can't respect that anymore. So have to go with Muzzin, Hyman, Ilya Mikheyev, and honestly happy to see Frederik Gauthier come along with his skating.
Lots of respect for 3rd and 4th lines.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
The premise was current favourites, but all time is fine too. Mostly just wanted a spot to talk positive about our guys and I think it’s gone really well.

Can’t believe how many people are saying Hyman! I love the guy but maybe his injury and the fact we’re playing soft right now has made him into a bit of a messiah?

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
The Matthews contract is 100% on Dubas thou, its like he didn't even wait or negotiate with that, cant blame AM or his agent when the Leafs GM was practically begging to be ripped off.

That’s why I don’t get people saying AM is one of our overpaid players. It’s pretty clear there was a huge interest for him around the league (Arizona) and the fact he took the first offer given (as far as I can tell) is pretty generous tbh.

That one is 100% on Dubas for not starting even a little lower or longer. But at the end of the day I think his contract will look fine.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Matthews - There's something magical about this kid. Easily the most talented Leafs player in my lifetime. Every goal he scores feels like an event. Watching the Leafs play without Matthews just doesn't feel right anymore. He's becoming a major reason I tune in. Hope he stays healthy, competes more consistently, and develops under a different coach who gives star players more ice time.

Nylander - Love his effortless and elegant style. King of controlled zone entries. Great vision and playmaking abilities. A pretty sick shot that he needs to work on a bit more to make it accurate and get it off more. Underrated defensively (especially in terms of takeaways); is surprisingly strong on his skates. He's got all the tools to be a star. Hope he can bring it all together on a more consistent basis, and gets the opportunity to develop under a different coach who doesn't hate him.

Muzzin - We don't have many players on the roster that can lay big hits and Muzzin can. This guy is just all about compete. Gives it 100% game in game out, not sure how he does it. Hope it rubs off on some of our younger players as they continue to develop and mature. Hope we can re-sign him, though I suspect term could become an issue.

Reactions: MattySnipes

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Favourite right now is Mikheyev. Humble. Hustles. Bright spot this early season.

Reactions: Cobra777

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Marner- plays in every situation. Big game performer. Exciting player to watch.

Kappy- Frightening speed, that only a handful of guys in the league possess. Can be a 25 goal a year guy, who can play up and down your lineup. Also love his intensity:

Freddy- Legit #1. Franchise goalie. Huge frame. Basically the prototypical goalie I want. Like his demeanour.

HM: Spezza- most dominant OHL player I’ve ever seen. Always been a big fan of his. Loved how he showed no emotion after his shoot out goal the other night.

GOAT- Developing nicely and exactly what he was projected to be. Honest player. Good guy and you can tell he has worked hard on his skating. All coaches want a GOAT.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Tavares is a UFA, those 3 guys were RFA, you are comparing red apples with green apples here . JT was actually offered a 13 mill AAV contract by the Sharks and he turned that down so he can come home. Now I dont know what the after tax money equivalent of that would be but I do know that he left 14 million dollars of before tax $$ in the table to come here, money that ended up going to Marner's contract after his agent got Dubas to pay Marner almost 2 mill $ (in terms of AAV) more than his worth.

BTW its not just the Sharks but the Islanders also reportedly offered 11+ mill for 8 years (them being the only team that could offer JT 8 years because they were his original team), highers AAV and more security, yet he chose the Leafs. Their is still quite a big difference UFA vs RFA pay, the former has served their dues and are able to demand higher pay, do you really think Panarin, at his age, would have gotten anywhere near that contract if he still had 4 remaining RFA years on his contract? Skinner would have been very lucky to hit 7 had he been an RFA, dont for one second believe that propaganda spread last year of how RFA superstars are getting paid like UFA now, that may only be true here in Leafland.

Just because he rejected the Sharks offer doesn't mean he took a pay cut to play in Toronto. His max worth is 11M, if McDavid is worth 12.5M. Why would Matthews and Marner take less if they are both better than Tavares? Point is, he didn't take less than he was worth to come play here, he pretty much went to the Leafs and said "give me 77M or im going back to Long Island". My point still stands, you cant call the other 3 greedy and not Tavares just because he was a ufa. If Tavares is getting the max he could from the Leafs, why should others take less. Crosby said it best, taking a pay cut only makes sense if everyone does it. Thats the problem with Toronto, one guy gets the most he can and it trickles on. If Tavares took 9.5M, its hard for Matthews and Marner to demand the money they did considering they aren't that much better than Tavares. If youre going to be mad at someone be mad at Dubas, he had all the leverage on Nylander and still caved. The Leafs were winning and one of the highest scoring teams without Nylander, Dubas could've gone either take 6.2x6 or 5.1x4 or sit out the year. Whats Nylander going to do in that position? If he sits he makes no money and has to wait an extra year for UFA status and arbitration. Matthews was given a blank cheque which was outright stupid and at that point why would Marner take less just to make up for the extra money they paid everyone else? If Tavres had taken less, I honestly believe Matthews, Marner and Nylander would all be at lower cap hits. Tavares doesn't just get a pass because he was a UFA.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Uhhh no.... they took less because of the taxes (and the no movement clause that came with their contracts). Do your research.

Maybe you should do your own. Nashville and Dallas play in states with no state taxes yet you still have guys like Johansen, Benn, Turris, Rinne (in his prime), Josi etc. making top dollar. Hell, the Panthers play in the same state and they still have to overpay or pay top dollar to players, look at Ekblad, Yandle, Bobrovsky and Matheson. You really going to come in here and tell me they took less cause of the "taxes"? The tax narrative is so stupid. Like do you think an agent goes to a team and says "hey since we don't have to pay state taxes, we'll lower our ask for you guys"? Stamkos took 8.5M because thats the most Tampa would offer, once he took that it created an internal cap. Thats why Tampa guys are signed for so cheap. They all take less to keep the team together. Maybe being in a state with no taxes makes it easier, but them getting paid less isn't only because of the taxes. So maybe, instead of acting like a smarts you should probably do your own research and use a bit of logic.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
HM: Spezza- most dominant OHL player I’ve ever seen.

Get a chance to see Lindros in the OHL? . Monstrous and easily the most dominant player I saw in junior.

Saw Spezza with the Spits...Nothing compared to Lindros who looked like a prime NHL Lindros playing against kids...while he was still a kid himself. Monstrous.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Was nylander. Then marner. Now I'm not sure. Maybe rielly? All that contract stuff really soured me on these guys.

Really liking mikyheyv (sp?) Though. Good find

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Kapanen- Multi use, plays a 200 ft game. Determination, speed, skill and willing to take these attributes to the dirty areas.

Hyman- Same as above.

Mikheyev- Same as 2 above.

Mar 14, 2011
Just because he rejected the Sharks offer doesn't mean he took a pay cut to play in Toronto. His max worth is 11M, if McDavid is worth 12.5M. Why would Matthews and Marner take less if they are both better than Tavares? Point is, he didn't take less than he was worth to come play here, he pretty much went to the Leafs and said "give me 77M or im going back to Long Island". My point still stands, you cant call the other 3 greedy and not Tavares just because he was a ufa. If Tavares is getting the max he could from the Leafs, why should others take less. Crosby said it best, taking a pay cut only makes sense if everyone does it. Thats the problem with Toronto, one guy gets the most he can and it trickles on. If Tavares took 9.5M, its hard for Matthews and Marner to demand the money they did considering they aren't that much better than Tavares. If youre going to be mad at someone be mad at Dubas, he had all the leverage on Nylander and still caved. The Leafs were winning and one of the highest scoring teams without Nylander, Dubas could've gone either take 6.2x6 or 5.1x4 or sit out the year. Whats Nylander going to do in that position? If he sits he makes no money and has to wait an extra year for UFA status and arbitration. Matthews was given a blank cheque which was outright stupid and at that point why would Marner take less just to make up for the extra money they paid everyone else? If Tavres had taken less, I honestly believe Matthews, Marner and Nylander would all be at lower cap hits. Tavares doesn't just get a pass because he was a UFA.
McDavid as a RFA was worth 12.5 mill with a discount, as a 21 year old UFA he'll easily make league max AAV. You can pretend that their shouldn't be any difference for UFAs and RFAs but you'd be wrong, point is Tavares could have gotten 13 mill in the market but he chose to leave 14 million on the table to sign with the Leafs, meanwhile, Panarin who is actually comparable to Tavares skills wise but plays a lesser position got more $ than JT. Fact is, no other team were handing out offer sheets comparable to what the Leafs gave Marner, AM and Nylander, those RFA players who has comparable talent and numbers to these 3 signed for noticeably less, yet these guys somehow got the very green, Kyle Dubas to fold into giving them what they want.

C'mon 9.5 mill is what guys like Aho and Rantanen (and what Marner should have gotten) earns in the RFA market but in the UFA market, that is what talent like Skinner and Mark Stone earns. If you believe that JT is being greedy for not taking Jeff Skinner money then you are just being unfair, the guy took 2 mill less AAV than what the UFA market declared his max value was, Marner and Nylander on the other hand set a new bar on how high a comparable talent RFA should get paid. Also, Marner was already demanding 9 mill AAV even before his breakout season of 94 points, which is more than what everyone though his true value was , especially when someone like Pasta was just signed a year before for 6.6 AAV and was coming of his second straight near PPG season, it was very clear that Marner's agent was shooting for the stars from the get go.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Trevor Moore - I remember watching him two years ago playing on the fourth line for the Marlies and I completely loved him as a player. I told my wife it was too bad he would never make the Leafs (based on his age and apparent position within the depth chart as a fourth liner for the Marlies). Glad I was wrong about that.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Currently: The centres. 34 and 91. Both are dominant, but get there in such different ways. It's interesting watching the juxtaposed styles.

All-time: Gilmour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad