Nuge
Hall
Yaks
Ebs
Klef
Nurse
Drai
Schultz

Ya, I said Schultz, bring on the haters:)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
For me Yakupov, Draisaitl and Klefbom are a notch below the core of:
McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle and Nurse.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I honestly wish we would move the man of glass hall... The year he plays 82 will be a miracle....also we can't move any of our centers good teams usually have 5-6 centers on the roster drai mcdavid rnh should all be untouchable wingers can be replaced centers are impossible to find.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
How do you have the bolded over RNH? He was easily our best complete player (at both end of the ice) last season, even under Eakins and you would rather keep 3/4C over him?

Simply an oversight. RNH is on my list too. Draisaitl is the one I'm not sure about. I'm tempted to put him on the list but I think he could legitimately fetch a young top-pairing dman too, which I would strongly consider.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
McDavid and Hall. All other players should be available. I would trade Nuge for a lot of potential players out there, including a Backes. We need a Kesler-like no.2 C. Make no mistake, McDavid will be the no. 1 C on this team by the end of next season. I would love to see something gutsy like RNH+ for Backes and Bouwmeester, for example.

I'm a big Backes fan and i don't think Bouwmeester is a good player but i would be insanely pissed off. Hopkins is still very young and the kind of two way high skill center you can win championships with, IMO he's looking at a Toews-Bergeron-Zetterburg-S.Koivu type career, you can't usually get players like that unless you draft them. Their teams do/did just fine without another big center. Backes is a crazy risk, i could easily see him wanting to play in the US and walking as a UFA. I agree ideally you get a big 2nd line center but when you have two franchise centers you can fill that need with a Hanzal-Anisimov-Handzus-Soderberg kind of player. The Oilers have McDavid on an ELC, they should be investing in a strong 3C for the time being, and then give the role to Draisaitl/Yakimov.

Neither McDavid or Hopkins are small, just average, bit they are both unbelivable skaters/passers/puck handlers. You should expect McDavid to beat the other teams best center in a year or two head to head, Nugent Hopkins can already hold his own scoring 56 points and being only a -12 in each of the past two years despite the most difficult minutes out of any player on the team, Eakins, and insanely poor goaltending. At the end of the day there is nobody in the league i would be scared to match up against either guy. He was without question our best player last year and it's not close.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
McDavid
Hopkins
Hall
Eberle
Nurse

Draisaitl
Klefbom
Yakupov

We suffered for a long time and because of it this team has a large core of very young players, i'd trade anyone not in the first section for another core player but i don't think it's unreasonable to think this team can't keep the young high end talent together for a long time. It's unusual to have so many young players with so much skill.

Close to Core Players:
Marincin
Schultz
Lander

Too early to throw in the towel on Schultz, he's a quality offensive player who's been asked to do way too much, lets see him without Eakins. He regressed just like everyone under him but he's only played 203 games and there's a lot of pressure on him to work on his defense/physicality. I'd trade him for something valuable but i wouldn't want to part with him too soon. Marincin has a ton of untapped potential, as he develops he should get better and better resulting in a Michalek type dman or even somebody with a bit more offence. As for Lander i'm curious to see if he can be a Sobotka type of player, which for this team would be insanely valuable.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Mcdavid, One of Nuge or Drai, Two of Hall, Eberle and Yakupov.

Nurse, Klefbom, maybe Schultz if he can have a huge bounce back year.

Essentially I know trades will have to involve players I like up front if we're targeting big name defence. We can't trade more than those specified imo. Even trading a centre and a winger is risky and potentially leaves us with pittsburgh no good winger syndrome.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
McDavid if he can play to his potential. No one else has shown enough yet to be considered core. RNH is pretty close. He is the best all round player out of the "kids". I consider Pouliot our MVP at the moment. I'd also add Nurse to "potentially" be part of that core. If he pans out, then a tough, minute eating D-man is very valuable and would be very difficult to ever get by way of trade.

A fan of another team at work asked me how oiler fans could consider the 16th best young start to a wingers career bad.

I said they are clueless and Listen to Gregor ; Spector and the TOR CGY media morons!

I see you have no Hall!

Misprint I suspect!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looks pretty obvious that we need to add a goalie or\and another defenseman to the "core" group.

Broissoit and Klefbom have given us some hope but we need someone who is in their prime.

Seth Jones would be ideal but would cost an arm and a leg.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
McDavid
RNH
Hall (I'd part with him for the right package though)
Nurse
Klefbom to an extent

that's it

I want Yakupov to stay especially since he's on a cheaper contract, but he can go for the right price, and I do like Eberle but I think he will eventually have to be moved.

MacT: I would not do any thing stupid and part with..........

Actually spend some time looking at other rosters and historical performance from the greats of there position.

Hall has the 16th best start to a wingers career in the modern era 1967-68 to now.

Embarrasing!
We have him for 3 years before any decisions are needed.

Go to nhl numbers and Look at the cost of other teams base core:
Toews;Kane; Hossa; Sharp 32.133M or 2 years.

Mcdavid 3yr ELC @ 3.775
----------------------------- Potential 40G scorer
RNH 6yr @ 6M
Hall 5yr @ 6M
Eberle 4yr @ 6M
Pouliot 4yr @ 4M
Yakupov 2yr @ 2.5M
--------------------------- Potential 30G scorers
Draisatl 2yr ELC @ 3.4m
Lander 2yr @ 1M
---------------------------Potential 20g 40A players

32.675M for these 8 players

2 years before we have to make calls on these players.
Hall; RNH; Mcdavid are the last to go!

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Short answer:

McDavid
RNH

Would like to keep Hall, Draisatl, Klefbom and Nurse.

Build up the middle and use Pitts pick and some of our skilled wingers to shore up the D.

See what Scrivens can do behind an actual NHL D core and go from there.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Mcdavid, One of Nuge or Drai, Two of Hall, Eberle and Yakupov.

Nurse, Klefbom, maybe Schultz if he can have a huge bounce back year.

Essentially I know trades will have to involve players I like up front if we're targeting big name defence. We can't trade more than those specified imo. Even trading a centre and a winger is risky and potentially leaves us with pittsburgh no good winger syndrome.

^we're kind of redundant up front in the size department in our top 6, so don't be surprised if Derek Roy isn't re-signed and Yak is traded. PC is likely not afraid to make a BOLD move. :sarcasm:

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
McDavid and Hall. All other players should be available. I would trade Nuge for a lot of potential players out there, including a Backes. We need a Kesler-like no.2 C. Make no mistake, McDavid will be the no. 1 C on this team by the end of next season. I would love to see something gutsy like RNH+ for Backes and Bouwmeester, for example.

Backes is Ufa soon,no way I make that deal. Nuge is worth more

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
XXXXX-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-XXXXX
XXXXX-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Klefbom-XXXXX
Nurse-XXXXX

Sustainable as the cap rises. Roles could change within the club depending on who fills in the gaps.... i'm sure we'll have a few gems along the way through the draft.... but we should be able to sign UFA's cheap if we could hold onto these guys once they are developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad