Who are your Core players?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Not sure what OP's definition of core is. I see core as a piece that the team would be very reluctant to move.

Untouchable: will not be traded unless obvious over-payment
McDavid

Core: very unlikely to be traded without another core piece being added
Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Eberle
Yakupov
Nurse
Draisaitl

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Not sure what OP's definition of core is. I see core as a piece that the team would be very reluctant to move.

McDavid

Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Eberle
Yakupov
Nurse
Draisaitl
Pretty much exactly how I think of a core

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Core:
Hall - McDavid
Klefbom
Nurse

--------------------

RNH and Draisaitl duke it out for #2C
Eberle and Yakupov duke it out for #1RW
Yakimov and Lander duke it out for #3C

I favour this.
But whoever that #1 RW is, I'd want them to play on the 2nd line.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

McDavid

Hall
RNH
Klefbom
Eberle
Yakupov
Nurse
Draisaitl

I think you can add Lander into unlikely to be traded. The guy has been sent down to the AHL so many times and he's worked his ass off to become a very useful player. Trading him away would send a bad message at this point unless we signed him to a massive raise before trading him.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hall - McDavid - XXX
XXX - Nuge - Eberle
XXX - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX

Klefbom - XXX
Nurse - XXX
XXX - XXX

XXX
XXX

Maybes being Lander, Draisaitl and Yakupov.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
For me

would require a massive, massive overpay
McDavid

Near unmovable
Nuge
Hall

Everyone else is available for the right price.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
McDavid (nothing needs to be said as we know how good he will be)
Hall (will probably be the best at his position for years to come)
RNH (starting to really hit his stride as a 2 way player. Going to be a good second line center)
Klefblom (will be a rock on the backend for years)
Nurse (read above)

Every other player can be traded and the team is still in great shape. As much as I like Eberle and Yak, they can be replaced as there is alot of very good skilled players at their positions. Can be used to build a better all round team. Drais and Lander will battle it out for third line, but I don't imagine Drais wanting to be a third line guy. We shall see though.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lists that don't include Eberle are fail.

Out of Hall, RNH and Eberle, Eberle is the odd man out if I had to pick one of them. I wouldn't trade him personally, but if I had to make tough decision it would be him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looking at it from a long range perspective:

Hall, McDavid, Klefbom, Lander

Didn't include Eberle because there is the possibility of Yakupov surpassing him, don't want a $6 million 2nd line winger.

Didn't include RNH because there is the possibility of Draisaitl surpassing him, don't want a $6 million 3rd line center.

Didn't include Nurse cause he still plays a junior style game, he'll need to reign things in and start playing more like a pro. He's great as a rover in junior, but that style of game doesn't fly in the NHL unless you are all world.

The odd inclusion is Lander, I included him for multiple reasons, I think he is going to continue to grow as a player and I see him being a key role player for us, helping in all situations for a long time. Secondly he has great leadership characteristics and could see him being captain material, he is always well liked and well respected wherever he goes. Lastly it's always important to have a guy in the system who worked his way up the hard way on the farm into becoming an NHL player, it's easy to get discouraged being a former hotshot junior or college player when you are in your 3 or 4th year of the AHL with little more then a cup of coffee in the NHL, having a player who really showed that perseverance can pay off sets an example that others can follow. We haven't been getting enough of those critical role players like Lander or Fernando Pisani, you need a steady supply of cost controlled players to be able to ice a competitive team to surround our superstars when they all have fat contracts.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
None, I am sick of the core-thing. Let's focus on the team as a whole instead of singling out a handful of players as the key to success.

The core of EDM should be directly related to the core values of the team. On any given night the core player/-s can be different. Several times this season I would have said that Hendricks/Gordon were the core of the team.

It is not what you are or what you can be, but it is what you do that defines you (thanks Katie!).

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
McDavid, Hall, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom… Eberle would be the last guy I move of the rest.

Guy's putting in Draisaitl over RNH are crazy. Nuge is already a good 2 way 1b center locked up longterm, it is yet to be seen if Draisaitl will ever be anything more then a 3C (I think chances are he will)… enough hoping and dreaming kids will come in and turn this around.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Mcdavid
Hall
RNH
Eberle
Leon

Nurse
Marincin
Klefbom

I would like to see those players on this team for the next ten years plus barring significant upgrades or unfulfilled potential.

Honorable mentions:

Lander, Yakimov, Khaira

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Maybe a good place to start would be to define "core."

Is this players I want on the team for the next 3-4 years? Is it players who are untouchable?

Anyway, I'll go with players who I want on the team for the next 3-4 years and would *only* trade them in a big overpay:

McDavid
Hall
Lander
Klefbom
Nurse
Marincin
Gordon

I think Eberle and/or Yakupov could be important pieces in shoring up defense.

And I'm hanging onto all valuable (and/or young and promising) d-men and centres because they're the most difficult to procure and damn if we haven't suffered after giving them away for pennies on the dollar over the past few years.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Maybe a good place to start would be to define "core."

Is this players I want on the team for the next 3-4 years? Is it players who are untouchable?

Anyway, I'll go with players who I want on the team for the next 3-4 years and would *only* trade them in a big overpay:

McDavid
Hall
Lander
Klefbom
Nurse
Marincin
Gordon

I think Eberle and/or Yakupov could be important pieces in shoring up defense.

And I'm hanging onto all valuable (and/or young and promising) d-men and centres because they're the most difficult to procure and damn if we haven't suffered after giving them away for pennies on the dollar over the past few years.

How do you have the bolded over RNH? He was easily our best complete player (at both end of the ice) last season, even under Eakins and you would rather keep 3/4C over him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad