Who Are Your Buffalo Sabres "Untouchables"?

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Wayyyy too many untouchables here.

The great part about having prospect depth is that it allows you to flip that depth for players that put you over the top. In essence, prospect depth lessens the "untouchability" of your players.

My list is short.

Reinhart - No. 1 center
Ristolainen - No. 1 defenseman
BUF 2015 1st (assuming it's top five)

Girgensons and Zadorov would be a tough get (McCabe, Compher and Pysyk to a lesser extent) but I'd part with both if the right player was coming back (and that player had better be a superstar). Guys like Armia, Grigorenko, Bailey, Hurley, Baptiste, Larsson, Carrier, Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek, Martin (and again, to a lesser extent, Compher, McCabe, Pysyk) etc. are the kinds of players I would hope Murray uses as currency for the right players when this team is in a position to contend.

The players he doesn't flip from that list can be valuable contributors to a cup contender, but they aren't the leaders on a cup contender.
/agree

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
my list is short. Risto, Reinhart, 2015 1st and Isles 2015 1st. In terms of trying to rebuild I can't see how we can have a long list of "untouchables." I feel like we simply don't have that luxury. If they're offered enough they're going to make a trade. At what point do we stop hoarding "prospects" and actually start getting better? I feel like 2015 draft is the deadline for that. We've had some of the best prospects in the NHL for a couple years seemingly and haven't gone anywhere. I'm sick of watching a crappy team. I'm completely ok with suffering through another tank job because the value is there in the 2015 draft but after that, personally, my patience is wearing thin. I would be completely ok with trading some of prospects after 2015 in an effort to bring about a more immediate change. So I guess I'm saying, I'd wait til 2015.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Untouchables:
2015 First (Buffalo and NYI)
Reinhart
Girgensons
Ristolainen

Overpayment Required:
Myers
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe
Compher
Fasching

Potential Trade Bait:
Grigorenko
Armia
Larsson
Ennis
Hodgson
Baptiste
Bailey
Hurley
Carrier

I don't necessarily want to trade the last group but somewhere down the line, I think at least a couple of those guys will be moved. As someone mentioned on the last page, the Sabres should be careful about moving Ullmark and Lemieux because (in our current prospect pool) they're hard to replace.

ZeroPT*

I'd hold off on Armia.

He doesn't have much trade value right now and he may explode next year.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
55-65 pt, 23 year old, versatile Selke forwards do not get traded all the time

Mike Richards is the only comparable.
That's it...

(Jstaal was a contract issue)

No they don't.

You very rarely see a 60 point center who is VERY good in the defensive zone get traded.

Mike Richards would be the nearest comparable.

I didn't say what type of player. I said a player of his caliber. And players of that caliber get traded often.

And why are we qualifying contract disputes? They are part of the game, and it just so happens the player in the example is known for being a pain in the ass to negotiate with.

Last edited:

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Reinhart and, to a slightly lesser extent, Zadarov.

Everyone else can be had for the right price, IMO.

shedthemitts

Oct 10, 2007
My untouchables are:

2015 BUF and NYI 1st round draft picks
Reinhart
Girgensons
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Makarov (I legitimately believe this guy's a diamond in the rough type of find)
Fasching

Near untouchable, would need overcompensation in return:

Foligno
Myers
Armia
Ullmark
Deslauriers

Bps21*

I'm going to assume that in the not to distant future we should make sure not to get too attached to anyone. Murray trying to pull off a trade me the guy you just drafted in the first for whatever he was offering...the guy is an outside the box wild card when it comes to "assets" (remember the time he had to joke about how they are people and they don't like when he calls them assets?).

Especially after next draft...never fall in love with a prospect.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
In my eyes there are no untouchable players but there are certainly some that are unlikely to be traded due to the (absurdly) high asking price. In terms of assets the 2015 firsts would be deemed untouchable until at least midway through the season when we have a better idea if the extra firsts will be lotteries or not. The unlikely to be moved players include everyone's favourites of Reinhart, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Grigorenko (until we see how plays during a full AHL season). I'm more open to trade anyone with NHL experience because you have a better idea of what type of player he is and what a reasonable trade return would be.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My untouchables are:

2015 BUF and NYI 1st round draft picks
Reinhart
Girgensons
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Makarov (I legitimately believe this guy's a diamond in the rough type of find)
Fasching

Near untouchable, would need overcompensation in return:

Foligno
Myers
Armia
Ullmark
Deslauriers

Foligno, Des, Fasching and Zemgus make your lists.......and Compher doesn't??? That really doesn't track at all.

ZeroPT*

Deslauriers shoudln't be anywhere near untouchable, or overpayment.

Guy is a good 4th liner, who may become a solid 3rd liner.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Hands off...

2015 1st RND picks (BUF & NYI)
Zemgus Girgensons
Sam Reinhart
Rasmus Ristolainen
Nikita Zadorov

Nearly untouchable, would need a 'Garth Snow' return...

Marcus Foligno
Tyler Myers
JT Compher
Mark Pysyk
Jake McCabe
Hudson Fasching
Johan Larsson

Shopping for a solid deal...

2015 1st RND pick (STL)
Cody Hodgson
Drew Stafford
Chris Stewart
Any Goalie
Any of our B-/C+ Centre prospects (Sundher/Cat/Bailey/Kea)

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Samson
Risto
Zadorov
Girgensons

But if we lost the lottery for first overall, I would trade all 3 firsts for Connor McDavid in a heartbeat and anyone else not on the list, if the 3 picks didn't work

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
What's confusing?

55-65 pt, 23 year old, versatile Selke forwards do not get traded all the time

Mike Richards is the only comparable.
That's it...

(Jstaal was a contract issue)

This statement describes a specific caliber of player. And they don't get traded very often at all.

You said he described what type of player he is, which is true, and it also infers that there aren't many players of his caliber.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Can't have too long of a list tbh, but my list would be:

1. Reinhart
2. Girgensons
3. Ristolainen
4. Zadorov
5. Myers

And if we added draft picks in there, I wouldn't move our 2015 1st rounder or the NYI 1st rounder for anything.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This statement describes a specific caliber of player. And they don't get traded very often at all.

You said he described what type of player he is, which is true, and it also infers that there aren't many players of his caliber.

Caliber = the quality of the player. A defenseman, a scoring winger and a two way center can all be of the same caliber. ROR is not in an elite class. Bobby Ryan is a player of similar quality. It's not earth shattering when these players get traded.

Myers is a 6'8" RHD that skates well. I guess we shouldn't discuss the possibility of trading him because there are so few examples of trading players like him?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Caliber = the quality of the player. A defenseman, a scoring winger and a two way center can all be of the same caliber. ROR is not in an elite class. Bobby Ryan is a player of similar quality. It's not earth shattering when these players get traded.

Bahahaha
I'm a huge fan of the illucidating nature of your comments on Oreilly.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Myers is a 6'8" RHD that skates well. I guess we shouldn't discuss the possibility of trading him because there are so few examples of trading players like him?

I know what caliber means :laugh: By describing him factually as a 60 point selke candidate at 23 years old, it implies he is a certain caliber of player (which is obviously extremely high). That's all I was trying to explain.

We then disagree on how high caliber that is, because players of that quality, in my eyes, do not get traded often.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My untouchables are related to position and role:

Potential 1C, 2C, 3C:
Reinhart
Girgensons
2015 1st
2015 1st (NYI)

Potential 1D:
Ristolainen
Myers (though I'm not totally sold with him being in this category)

Beyond that, I'm open to trades that make sense.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
At this moment and including only players:

Reinhart
Ristolainen
Girgensons
Zadorov

In that order.

Not considering Grigorenko as an untouchable, but wouldn't really trade him right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad