Who are the top 3 shooters from defense?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He still scores a ton of his goals from the blueline though. I just went back and looked at a youtube vid of all his goals from 14-15 and he scored at least half of them from the point with wristers and slappers. He can also scored a few in the slot, a few in front of the net, a couple on breakways and one with a deflection and that is just in that one season clip of 18 goals

What?

Out of those 18 goals he scored only 4 from the blueline. Maybe 3 more from a traditional defense shooting position, the rest are from activated positions and at least 6 are practically crease goals.

Compare that to this:

You will notice Burns snipes a ton of goals in from the blue line or true defensive positions (especially against the Kings) AND often gets multiple shots in a single shift from the point. I counted 17-19 goals in that category. Byfuglien clearly activates to basically a forward more and it really suits his game. But it kind of takes him out of the conversation for truly great point/defense shooter.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What?

Out of those 18 goals he scored only 4 from the blueline. Maybe 3 more from a traditional defense shooting position, the rest are from activated positions and at least 6 are practically crease goals.

Compare that to this:

You will notice Burns snipes a ton of goals in from the blue line or true defensive positions (especially against the Kings) AND often gets multiple shots in a single shift from the point. I counted 17-19 goals in that category. Byfuglien clearly activates to basically a forward more and it really suits his game. But it kind of takes him out of the conversation for truly great point/defense shooter.

Well yeah I'm not saying he's Burns. Who is undoubtedly at the top. But he scores likely about the same amount of goals from the blueline that Karlsson does, who also activates a tonne. He probably has more goals from the blueline than Subban does total goals last year. Buff is definitely in the mix with Karlsson and anyone who says he isn't is being disingenuous.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Well yeah I'm not saying he's Burns. Who is undoubtedly at the top. But he scores likely about the same amount of goals from the blueline that Karlsson does, who also activates a tonne. He probably has more goals from the blueline than Subban does total goals last year. Buff is definitely in the mix with Karlsson and anyone who says he isn't is being disingenuous.

Well you have to note that the default is for defensemen to shoot almost exclusively from the point, Karlsson, Burns and Buff are anomalies in the amount that they activate and "rove" ... so by default they are actually already at a bit of a disadvantage

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
OP says not only power.

Karlsson is definitely in top 3. The way he gets the pucks through and the way he snipes it sometimes are amazing. Better than our forwards.

Subban has probably top 3 slapshot in the league but he needs a lot of space to get it off most of the time.

Here are top 4 goal scorers since 2010-2011:

Burns: 103 goals in 424 games
Weber: 102 goals in 443 games
Byfugelin: 97 goals in 418 games
Karlsson: 95 goals in 419 games.

Then there is huge drop with OEL at 5th with 76 goals in 415 games.

I think that top 5 is just about right.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Along with Burns, Giordano has to be top 2.

Great wrister from the point through traffic, if he gets a screen he will either find the back of the net or a stick for a deflection or a pad for a rebound. Walks the line very well.

Great, quick, accurate one-timer (just went full Malkin snipe today actually). We don't go to him enough on the right side tbqh.

Can score true goal scorer's goals when he jumps up into the rush. Three of my favorite goals from him have him basically being our best forward in overtime (2010 @ PHX, 2015 @ LA, 2015 vs DET - All three are highlight reels even for a forward)

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Burns is probably #1.

I think any of Karlsson, Weber, OEL or Faulk has a legit claim to be #2. The next tier would be guys like Subban, Doughty, and Chara.

In my rankings, I take into account not only for how hard/accurate their shots are, but how effective they are at getting their shots through traffic. As well their shot selection and whatnot.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well you have to note that the default is for defensemen to shoot almost exclusively from the point, Karlsson, Burns and Buff are anomalies in the amount that they activate and "rove" ... so by default they are actually already at a bit of a disadvantage

They are all still very capable at point shots through traffic. Karlsson has perfected the slap pass through traffic. Buff's ability to wrist a puck through traffic is ridiculous sometimes. And watching San Jose in the playoffs you can see why Burns scores so much. He's always ripping pucks from the point almost every single chance he gets.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Burns is probably #1.

I think any of Karlsson, Weber, OEL or Faulk has a legit claim to be #2. The next tier would be guys like Subban, Doughty, and Chara.

In my rankings, I take into account not only for how hard/accurate their shots are, but how effective they are at getting their shots through traffic. As well their shot selection and whatnot.

Buff is definitely ahead of Subban, Doughty and Chara right now. Not prime Chara though. Buff is in the Karlsson, Weber and OEL. I did forget about Faulk he is definitely climbing the rankings much like Ghost.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Buff is definitely ahead of Subban, Doughty and Chara right now. Not prime Chara though. Buff is in the Karlsson, Weber and OEL. I did forget about Faulk he is definitely climbing the rankings much like Ghost.

You're right, I forgot about Byfuglien. He'd be in that tier with Karlsson.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I just don't get the Karlsson one. I actually just watched a highlight video of him to make sure I wasn't crazy haha.

He scores all his goals at the top of the red circle and when he gets a wide open look from some nice passing. Lots of skill there but it's not really his shot. Especially from the point.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Doesnt have to be about power although it could be but accuracy and getting shots through traffic is also big. For instance Franson although idk how he has been lately but in the Leafs his shot from the blue line was great even though he didnt put much power in it.
From the blueline? If so it has to be Weber #1. If you just mean goal scoring from whatever means, Burns is #1, Weber #2, with Karlson, Faulk, OEL, Subban and Josi pretty close behind.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Burns
Weber
Faulk

Faulk isn't only powerful but his ability to get pucks through the defense is fantastic. Already won their first preseason game doing so.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Subban's goal totals dwindled as Therrien couldn't manage to get the power-play going over the past three years.

His 6 goals don't tell the whole story.

I think it also dismisses what ends up being assists because it's tipped out front or hits a teammate.

I'd go with Burns, Weber, Subban.

As someone mentioned Doughty's got a great shot but his selection isn't always great so it's often blocked.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Weber and Burns are IMO by far the top two. Subban's isn't accurate enough for me to rate up with those guys. OEL is up there too.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gostisbehere has an absolute canon of a shot, it's accurate, and he is exceptionally good at finding lanes. Might not be top 3 yet but he's definitely up there. Watching him every game he played last year was a sight to behold.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Brent Burns is undoubtedly at the top. It's crazy how he gets that thing through defenders all the freaking time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just don't get the Karlsson one. I actually just watched a highlight video of him to make sure I wasn't crazy haha.

He scores all his goals at the top of the red circle and when he gets a wide open look from some nice passing. Lots of skill there but it's not really his shot. Especially from the point.

Kevin Shattenkirk wrote about it in a piece for the Player's Tribune:

Kevin Shattenkirk said:
Erik Karlsson

Great skater, great hands, but the strongest part of his game is his innate ability to get shots through traffic and on net almost every single time. You rarely see his shot get blocked.

Everyone loves the big slapper but having a great wrist shot from the point can be just as effective, and Karlsson does that better than anyone. (Oliver Ekman-Larsson is a close second.) There’s a sweet spot where you aim to give your wingers a chance for a deflection in front of the net — from the ankles to the knees — and Karlsson seems to get more of these assists than anyone.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/elite-defensemen-101-part-2/

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Kevin Shattenkirk wrote about it in a piece for the Player's Tribune:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/elite-defensemen-101-part-2/

Ya because he uses his skating to get down to almost the hashmarks. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a better strategy than just firing it from the point. But it's his skating more so than his shot.

"Karlsson has the unique ability to create a shooting lane for himself by “walking the blue line†and looking guys off with his eyes like an NBA point guard."

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ya because he uses his skating to get down to almost the hashmarks. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a better strategy than just firing it from the point. But it's his skating more so than his shot.

"Karlsson has the unique ability to create a shooting lane for himself by “walking the blue line” and looking guys off with his eyes like an NBA point guard."

I'm just following what the OP specified.

Btw, if you're walking the blue line you're still on the point and not at the hash marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad