Who are the top 3 shooters from defense?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
1. Burns - the best shooter from the blue line BY FAR. was 2nd in the league period in shots last season after ovechkin. not just among defense. everyone. shooting from the blue line is his art.
2. Karlsson
3. OEL or Subban maybe?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
chara
weber
doughty
to name a few...

Doughty has an absolute cannon but it almost always gets blocked and his wrist shot is solid but i wouldn't say league top-3. Martinez is probably the best on the Kings at just getting shots through traffic; Doughty tries too hard to be perfect. But when he does get one through he always leaves people wondering how he doesn't score more.

Burns has to be up there.

It seems like Burns' shot always makes it through the crowd and on net.

Came to say Burns and this is why. Lightning-quick release, gnarly velocity, almost always through traffic--and somehow hits Pavelski's stick anywhere in the building. I'm convinced Little Joe could be a healthy scratch and Burnsie would ramp one off his stick.

My other two would probably be Weber for his cannon and Erik Karlsson for his genius ability to just get a nice hard shot through traffic and on net even wearing three people as a backpack.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Came to say Burns and this is why. Lightning-quick release, gnarly velocity, almost always through traffic--and somehow hits Pavelski's stick anywhere in the building. I'm convinced Little Joe could be a healthy scratch and Burnsie would ramp one off his stick.

Well if Ryane Clowe taught us anything... :naughty:

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Subban and Weber are the easy ones.

I'd take either Burns or Karlsson for the third spot; they are both fantastic at getting the puck to the net.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
He doesn't have the hardest shot and hasn't done enough to be mentioned with Weber, Burns, Subban, et al, but, for a younger guy, Ekblad has a knack for getting shots on net and scoring timely goals.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Burns is #1 right now after 27 goals. 353 shots is insane.

Karlsson's career shots per game is actually better: 3 shots per game to Burns's 2.4. Of course, he's been getting #1 minutes for a much bigger proportion of his career.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Subbans being ranked pretty high after an 6 goal season. Maybe for hardness but for top 3 let's give it to someone that scores.

He's only hit 15 goals once is there really not anyone hitting 20 goals from the point regularly other than burns and weber

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Gio isnt even close to one of the top 3 shooters from defense.

Weber Subban Burns.

Giordano has 15 more goals than Subban over the past 3 seasons, in less games. I don't know how he's not even close, especially since you think Subban is top 3.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Subbans being ranked pretty high after an 6 goal season. Maybe for hardness but for top 3 let's give it to someone that scores.

He's only hit 15 goals once is there really not anyone hitting 20 goals from the point regularly other than burns and weber

Karlsson and OEL are safe bets for 15- low 20's just like Burns and Weber are.

Last 3 seasons.

Burns 66 goals
OEL 59 goals
Weber 58 goals
Karlsson 57 goals

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Burns' secret is how quickly he gets his shot off, he has a patented wrist-half-slapper that he gets off before the blockers set up. And he works to get it off quickly, sometimes it can be a bit rushed but changing high-low quickly works well for a good puck recovering team.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Pretty sure there's a website out there that tracks shots from the point from defensemen and the percentage of those shots that hit the net.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Subban's goal totals dwindled as Therrien couldn't manage to get the power-play going over the past three years.

His 6 goals don't tell the whole story.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Buff is definitely up there. Has a pin point accurate wrister and a bomb from the point. Though not as accurate as his wrister. OEL gets the job done to. P.K. might have a great shot but he just doesn't get the results these guys do. I think it's these 5 guys and then a gap to the next tier.

Burns: 66 goals over the last 3 seasons.
OEL: 59 goals over the last 3 seasons
Weber: 58 goals over the last 3 seasons.
Buff: 57 goals over last 3 seasons.
Karlsson: 57 goals over last 3 seasons.

Subban: 31 goals over last 3 seasons.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Thing with buff is he tends to take the puck to the net rather than shoot from the point so technically he is not one of the great shooters from the blue line in the league. he gets a ton of shots but he activates like crazy.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thing with buff is he tends to take the puck to the net rather than shoot from the point so technically he is not one of the great shooters from the blue line in the league. he gets a ton of shots but he activates like crazy.

He still scores a ton of his goals from the blueline though. I just went back and looked at a youtube vid of all his goals from 14-15 and he scored at least half of them from the point with wristers and slappers. He can also scored a few in the slot, a few in front of the net, a couple on breakways and one with a deflection and that is just in that one season clip of 18 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad