Speculation: Who Are The Possibly Candidates To Be The Next GM?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'm not too big on Blake. He's been an assistant GM for what 2years? I don't think he's really had to do much as he came into a winning organization. Doug Weight may be a good Candidate,

2 years isn't good enough, but 0 is?

Doug Weight is an Asst Coach, hasn't ventured into management yet.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
I totally get the whole idea of it likely being Hunter, mainly because why would he have left and come here otherwise...but if that was the case, it really doesn't make sense why they have Nonis here still. The only reason you leave Nonis in place, is if you're hoping for someone that isn't available to become available in the off-season imo.

Plus, there was that rumor that Shanny wanted Blake, which wouldn't have come up if it was promised to Hunter already. Unless of course that was totally made up, but it doesn't seem like.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs want a General Manager by the Draft I think it's Mark Hunters job.

However if they don't have a General Manager by that time I think it's obvious that Shanahan will plan to offer Mike Babcock the role of Head Coach & General Manager.

So the Draft is the key time frame because if they don't have a General Manager who will be responsible for possible trades at that time? Plus what about free agency on July 1, which is also the date Babcock becomes a UFA himself.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I totally get the whole idea of it likely being Hunter, mainly because why would he have left and come here otherwise...but if that was the case, it really doesn't make sense why they have Nonis here still. The only reason you leave Nonis in place, is if you're hoping for someone that isn't available to become available in the off-season imo.

Plus, there was that rumor that Shanny wanted Blake, which wouldn't have come up if it was promised to Hunter already. Unless of course that was totally made up, but it doesn't seem like.

Think there's a few reasons why Nonis is still here, and you've named a few of them:

1 - Nonis is the only exec in that front office with tangible NHL experience & knowledge right now. Could Shanahan and co. be relying on that expertise? Most definitely.

2 - Does it make sense to fire him right now? Close to the deadline, where you need his league sources & contacts and ability to hit the phones and make deals, firing Nonis now would be counter-productive.

3 - Shanahan and company don't know what they want to do with him yet - fire him? Keep him? I don't think they are anywhere close to being sure what do do. Could Shanahan be biding his time, to make sure that not only does he get a good feel for what Nonis is about, but what Hunter & Dubas are about as well, especially regarding being future GMs?

4 - Shanahan can hide behind Nonis for now. So long as the GM is there, the heat is on him and not on Shanahan. Brendan had 2 silver bullets in his gun. He used one on Randy in January. Once he inevitably uses his 2nd one on Nonis, the spotlight & focus will shift to Shanny.

5 - Much easier to conduct a more thorough search for both coach and GM in the off-season, when there are more candidates and less urgency to make a decision.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
5 - Much easier to conduct a more thorough search for both coach and GM in the off-season, when there are more candidates and less urgency to make a decision.
That's why I think that Shanahan wants the next General Manager to hire their new Head Coach, which is something neither Brian Burke did because he didn't hire Ron Wilson and Dave Nonis did not hire Randy Carlyle.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That's why I think that Shanahan wants the next General Manager to hire their new Head Coach, which is something neither Brian Burke did because he didn't hire Ron Wilson and Dave Nonis did not hire Randy Carlyle.

Yeah good point regarding previous GM-coach relationships here.

It's easy to overlook because Burke / Wilson were so buddy-buddy, and Nonis just automatically gets lumped into the same regime that named Carlyle coach in the first place.

It'll be strange seeing this organization doing things the "normal way" soon, like rebuilding and naming a GM who names a coach.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I dont think Nonis will be fired as GM, this is Burkes team as he put in the main pieces (I dont think Nonis would have made the Kessel deal) in place. The Clarkson signing sucks but other then that he didn't chose the main direction of this team.

I am starting to lean towards this conclusion as well. I think if there is chemistry/trust between Nonis and Shanahan and the other guys, then he will stay. Not many franchises has a do it all GM but they work together as a team. If Nonis play his role and use his main strength, puzzle together deals (that is what Burke used him for), then I think Nonis will stay on as GM. The team needs his experience and connections even do Hunter, Shanny and Dubas will have a lot of influence on who is brought in, picked at the draft.

I am actually thinking this is a lot better then having a strong minded GM like Burke who rush to decisions, drafts for (perceived) need and generally have little to no connection between what he say is his vision and what he does to fulfil it.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
As a Habs' fan, it grieves me to say but Rick Dudley is a likely candidate. The Leafs require an experienced GM as Shanahan is a rookie as a team manager. Dudley has been around the block and is also an excellent evaluator of talent.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
As a Habs' fan, it grieves me to say but Rick Dudley is a likely candidate. The Leafs require an experienced GM as Shanahan is a rookie as a team manager. Dudley has been around the block and is also an excellent evaluator of talent.

yup, dudits is the guy that keeps swirling in the back of my head IF it ain't babcock.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
All I want is someone with experience. My Job Description would read as.

Min 3 years in a front office role in the NHL as a Assistant GM or equivalent Front office role.

-Preferred at least 1 year of GM experience in the AHL.
-background in scouting
-Has an immediate working knowledge of CBA, player transactions. NHL contracts

OHL/WHL/QMJHL an asset but not necessary.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I'm just gonna put this out there.

Babcock GM and coach. Like Quinn was.

He's gone on record saying he's wants more roster control and is ready to advance his career.

Hitch isn't going to resign his position obviously so no contract renewal.

This is a very likely scenario to get Babcock to sign with the Leafs, IMO.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Whoa, I don't care if Sheldon Keefe is a changed man. I don't want any association with the scum David Frost, Danton & the rest of Frosty's boys with my Maple Leafs.

So you are putting on par the young guys (at the time) with a guy charged with what he was charged with? Do you ever think about things before you say them?

I'm just gonna put this out there.

Babcock GM and coach. Like Quinn was.

He's gone on record saying he's wants more roster control and is ready to advance his career.

Hitch isn't going to resign his position obviously so no contract renewal.

This is a very likely scenario to get Babcock to sign with the Leafs, IMO.

Babcock has absolutely no reason to come here. He isn't soiling his name with a rebuild when he has a team in the playoffs already and other teams in the NHL without the BS in TO who would offer him the same deal

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
So you are putting on par the young guys (at the time) with a guy charged with what he was charged with? Do you ever think about things before you say them?

Babcock has absolutely no reason to come here. He isn't soiling his name with a rebuild when he has a team in the playoffs already and other teams in the NHL without the BS in TO who would offer him the same deal

I disagree. Babcock wants a real challenge. What one is bigger than the Leafs?

He has every reason to come here.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I disagree. Babcock wants a real challenge. What one is bigger than the Leafs?

He has every reason to come here.

Who says he wants a real challenge? He wants more roster control, that's the only thing he has ever even inferred. Hell, Holland can give him that today

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Who says he wants a real challenge? He wants more roster control, that's the only thing he has ever even inferred. Hell, Holland can give him that today

Kelley, the Globe reporter that broke the MLSE story (front page news), also took an interesting perspective on why it makes PERFECT sense for Babcock:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-theres-only-one-destination-for-a-man-of-babcocks-stature-toronto/article21136573/

I happen to share it as I have believed the same thing since the extension offer refusal by him.

david999

Jan 21, 2011

Money talks, and it is always about money. No other team in need of a coach has the financial will to spend what it would take to sway Babcock like Toronto does this point in time. Besides, if Babcock wanted to stay in Detroit he would have signed already. He is waiting for an offer that boosts his ego.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Kelley, the Globe reporter that broke the MLSE story (front page news), also took an interesting perspective on why it makes PERFECT sense for Babcock:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-theres-only-one-destination-for-a-man-of-babcocks-stature-toronto/article21136573/

I happen to share it as I have believed the same thing since the extension offer refusal by him.

He'd be great with the potential young players being brought into the roster and staying with them throughout their development. He's just as exciting as a potential top pick in this draft imo. Here's hoping he wants to come here.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

All Kelly did was take what babcock said, and fit it into his narrow narrative. Nothing he said at all even remotely infers he wants to come to TO

Money talks, and it is always about money. No other team in need of a coach has the financial will to spend what it would take to sway Babcock like Toronto does this point in time. Besides, if Babcock wanted to stay in Detroit he would have signed already. He is waiting for an offer that boosts his ego.

Lots of teams have money for good coaching. Ridiculous to think any team would take a lesser coach because of money that doesn't count against the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad