Speculation: Who Are The Possibly Candidates To Be The Next GM?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Hunter takes over the scouting department entirely from Morrison. I don't see him as the next GM. Not impossible but I just don't see it happening quite yet.

I think it'll be someone like Fenton or Blake (who's close to Shanahan). I'd be interested to see what Dudley could do as well.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I dont think Nonis will be fired as GM, this is Burkes team as he put in the main pieces (I dont think Nonis would have made the Kessel deal) in place. The Clarkson signing sucks but other then that he didn't chose the main direction of this team.

Ummm what?

1. Resigns Kessel AND Phaneuf to long term/expensive deals
2. Trades 3 picks (2nd, 4th, 4th) for Bolland
3. Clarkson signing
4. Lupul signing
5. Nearly brings back Bolland for 5 years at over 5 million/season

He may not have chosen the intial direction but he sure as hell is carrying it on... how you can be in denial is beyond me.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Great question...

Rather than going with Nonis who doesn't really have the background of building a team through the draft let's get someone who has done it successfully before or at a minimum make him part of the team who will:

Dudley (maybe part of the team if not the GM)
Tallon
Chirelli
Yzerman
Nill
Holland

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I dont think Nonis will be fired as GM, this is Burkes team as he put in the main pieces (I dont think Nonis would have made the Kessel deal) in place. The Clarkson signing sucks but other then that he didn't chose the main direction of this team.

Nonis is long gone my friend, the writing has been on the wall for some time

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Great question...

Rather than going with Nonis who doesn't really have the background of building a team through the draft let's get someone who has done it successfully before or at a minimum make him part of the team who will:

Tallon
Chirelli
Yzerman
Nill
Holland

No one on that list is available are they? Yzerman would be my choice of those guys, and quite easily. Chiarelli would be next. I don't want Holland. Take away everything he was handed when he was hired and look at what is left.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Great question...

Tallon
Chirelli
Yzerman
Nill
Holland

I would be shocked if we landed any of the above. I wouldn't complain, but would be shocked. I think someone like Fenton is more realistic. I don't see Hunter getting the job yet. Too soon for him to move up to GM.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Has to be Mark Hunter. No way he would have left London if he didn't know the job was going to be his. My guess is the Leafs will be run by the Hunter brothers as Manager and coach and assistant GM will be Dubas and Assistant coach will be Sheldon Keefe.

I'm not too familiar w Keefe's work in the Soo, has he been any good for them? I'd like to see them bring him in as the Marlies coach next year to see what he can do. I'm actually fine with Horacheck in the interm permanently unless Babcock come's to TO. Then when players have been stock pilled in the minors, bring Keefe up as the coach and start the push.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I'm not too big on Blake. He's been an assistant GM for what 2years? I don't think he's really had to do much as he came into a winning organization. Doug Weight may be a good Candidate, idt Hunter is going to be the GM, I think he is there to assess the scouting staff and development program. Dubas is the obvious future GM weather it is here or on another team. I could honestly see them riding it out w/o a GM for a couple years or bringing in another assistant to compete w Dubas for the job.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm not too familiar w Keefe's work in the Soo, has he been any good for them? I'd like to see them bring him in as the Marlies coach next year to see what he can do. I'm actually fine with Horacheck in the interm permanently unless Babcock come's to TO. Then when players have been stock pilled in the minors, bring Keefe up as the coach and start the push.

Keefe has been great for them. I actually really like not only the way he coaches the team, but the fact he pushes education and life skills as a big part of being on the team. He would never be brought in to be an assistant coach for the Leafs, but I could definitely see it for the Marlies after next season is over.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Hunter for sure! that guy was in love with his ohl team, and he left them for leafs, and I'm sure not just to be in front office just as an assistant... he knows the job will be his.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Nonis is long gone my friend, the writing has been on the wall for some time

It's not just the Clarkson signing. Buying out Grabo with a compliance buyout is a fireable offense in itself. The MGK line gone for nothing. Fireable. The list of blunders is much, much longer than just Clarkson and it could've been a lot worse if he got his way this offseason with Bolland and Gorges. A lot worse.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
I'd push really hard to try and get Julien Brisbois out of Tampa. If not, it's likely Hunter. Shanahan seems like a promote from within type of guy and I have no problem with that.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
No one on that list is available are they? Yzerman would be my choice of those guys, and quite easily. Chiarelli would be next. I don't want Holland. Take away everything he was handed when he was hired and look at what is left.

shhhh... Burke wasn't available as well... getting one of these guys is possible IMO.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bring back Cliff Fletcher to trade away all the picks and sign some vets... oh wait Nonis already did that...

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Hunter for sure! that guy was in love with his ohl team, and he left them for leafs, and I'm sure not just to be in front office just as an assistant... he knows the job will be his.

I say one of the people who have done well at the NHL level before but Hunter should be part of that team. Director of Amateur Scouting? Assistant GM? If we are rebuilding I would want someone who has successfully done it before at the NHL level. Let's improve our chances of doing a rebuild the right way.

Nill, Holland, Tallon, Dudley, etc....

Gloob

Nov 14, 2009
With all due respect, we've been pandering to the media for far too long.

Hi this is Toronto and it won't change. May as well embrace it and cater to it, rather than pretend like it isn't there, and when it is, get depressed and capsize.

Sip

Jul 18, 2013
I think the only way Babcock comes here as a coach is if there is some GM duty involved; perhaps not the day-to-day stuff but in terms of direction and player choices/contracts. I can see Hunter handling the daily duties with Babcock pulling the strings.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

All are GMs too (except one-who has been and built 2 Cup winning teams)

All are under contract, but the general rule of thumb is that you ask other teams, for personnel who
will move up a level. Dudley is the only who fits that, and you can only ask the Habs, when their season is over.

They owe us. for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad