Speculation: Who Are The Possibly Candidates To Be The Next GM?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
So - we all know the story - Nonis is likely gone at some point this off season - either fired, or more likely "reassigned" until he finds another job.

The criticism of Shanny is rampant and well known throughout these boards for not having already fired Nonis, but the point that is conveneintly missing from each of the critical posts is the key question - who will replace him?

Whether you agree or not that Shanny needed time to research the potential candidates, to compile his list of those who can take this team forward for the long haul (remember, once the season starts, the good candidates are all working other jobs) - when this summer comes - who will end up on that short list?

If you feel he should have fired Nonis last summer - who would you have hired to replace him then?

With this team about to be blown up - who would be on your list now?

Some possibilities are:

• Paul Fenton,
  • David McNabb
  • Mark Hunter
  • Rob Blake

Your thoughts?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
So - we all know the story - Nonis is likely gone at some point this off season - either fired, or more likely "reassigned" until he finds another job.

The criticism of Shanny is rampant and well known throughout these boards for not having already fired Nonis, but the point that is conveneintly missing from each of the critical posts is the key question - who will replace him?

Whether you agree or not that Shanny needed time to research the potential candidates, to compile his list of those who can take this team forward for the long haul (remember, once the season starts, the good candidates are all working other jobs) - when this summer comes - who will end up on that short list?

If you feel he should have fired Nonis last summer - who would you have hired to replace him then?

Some possibilities are:

• Paul Fenton,
  • David McNabb
  • Mark Hunter
  • Rob Blake

Your thoughts?

You also forgot to add Doug Weight who is currently an Assistant GM with the Isles and seems to be well respected around the league.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Someone who is from the area and has been following the Leafs for awhile and understands the Leafs' needs, and wants to see the Leafs succeed and have the Leafs' best interests in mind. Also, someone who has an eye for talent and will be good with drafting, making trades, and good with free agency.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Make it open. Have Dubas, Hunter and Shanny control the build next year. Which leads hunter into full time GM position, while Dubas is clear assistant. Gives the media something to feed on.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Make it open. Have Dubas, Hunter and Shanny control the build next year. Which leads hunter into full time GM position, while Dubas is clear assistant. Gives the media something to feed on.

With all due respect, we've been pandering to the media for far too long.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I dont want a former head GM like Shero or Gillis. I want to land a top Assistant GM from a top organization. Probably from Anaheim, Nashville, LA, Chicago, Detroit, etc.

Not sure on the specific names, but the same type of thing as TB landing Yzerman out of Detroit, Vancouver landing Benning out of Boston, etc.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I dont want a former head GM like Shero or Gillis. I want to land a top Assistant GM from a top organization. Probably from Anaheim, Nashville, LA, Chicago, Detroit, etc.

Not sure on the specific names, but the same type of thing as TB landing Yzerman out of Detroit, Vancouver landing Benning out of Boston, etc.

I'd be okay with Shero, he's well respected around the league and built a winner, albeit with Crosby and Malkin. But he's made a lot of good moves and drafted well, historically.

I'm not sure he'd be a fit philosophically with Shanahan's ideas but it's not a terrible idea.

I'd be surprised if we went after Blake. I supposed it could happen but it's a longshot.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Some possibilities are:

• Paul Fenton,
  • David McNabb
  • Mark Hunter
  • Rob Blake

Your thoughts?

I would have hired Ray Shero yesterday

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I dont think Nonis will be fired as GM, this is Burkes team as he put in the main pieces (I dont think Nonis would have made the Kessel deal) in place. The Clarkson signing sucks but other then that he didn't chose the main direction of this team.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rob Blake has already made it known that he is not interested.

His family LOVES life in California!

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Interesting though that's pretty much describing Shero before Pittsburgh when he actually was in Nashville(JFJ in STL also...).

If Shero was a candidate then sure, I would take him. However, It looks like he may actually be in charge of the other Ontario team at some time.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Mark Hunter is a lock. He wouldnt have left London if that wasn't the case.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
No thanks - outside of picking generational talent in the one or two spot - their drafting has been seriously lacking.

Not entirely true. He does know dmen, but I agree with his picks for the rest. Paul Fenton is someone I would really like as GM

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Its got to be hunter. Or rob Blake. Yes I know he denied it but honestly how can he come out and say he's interested in the leafs gm job while nonis is still holding the position.

We'll wait and see. It'll be an interesting summer for sure.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Has to be Mark Hunter. No way he would have left London if he didn't know the job was going to be his. My guess is the Leafs will be run by the Hunter brothers as Manager and coach and assistant GM will be Dubas and Assistant coach will be Sheldon Keefe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad