Music: Who are the most underappreciated bands ever?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The Pixies...without them...Nirvana would never have been our version of Nirvana.

Streetlight Manifesto...one of the best live shows you'll ever see. Uber talented.

The Who...I don't think they had more than one top ten hit and zero number 1 singles. Roger Daltrey...Townshend...Entwhistle...Moon. Just wow. Legends.

I have more...

Suicidal Tendencies
Clutch
Kyuss
Motorhead
UFO
Primus
Voivod - So underappreciated and underrated that even Canadians never bring them up.
Primus...Les Claypool is a top 5 bass player of all time.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
:laugh: They've sold over 100 million albums worldwide and at one time were considered a top 3 rock band of all time.
My My My. What's wrong with these people. The Who dominated progressive FM Radio back in the day. Those days when Top 10 hits and singles weren't what groups like The Who, Tull, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Yes, etc were after

Their music was cleanly produced, musicianship was top shelf and concerts were legendary

Top 10 hits and #1 singles MY ASS!!

Reactions: Elvis P

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know they are in the rock and roll hall of fame

but due to the fact of all the trouble they caused in 66 and getting a 5 year ban that they never really bounced back from--The Kinks come to mind

You will either agree or disagree. They are in the hall of fame for what they did from 62 to 66.

They got banned from the USA for several reasons in 65. They never regained the ground they lost from that ban and many great songs never got the recognition they deserved

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Blind Melon - People only know No Rain, but some of the stuff off their second album, Soup is really good too. Mouthful of Cavities, Change, Tones of Home are some of my favorite songs of all time. Too bad we couldn't have seen them grow as a band.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is up there as one of my all time favorite albums.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The Pixies...without them...Nirvana would never have been our version of Nirvana.

Streetlight Manifesto...one of the best live shows you'll ever see. Uber talented.

The Who...I don't think they had more than one top ten hit and zero number 1 singles. Roger Daltrey...Townshend...Entwhistle...Moon. Just wow. Legends.

I have more...

Streetlight is one of my 10 favorite bands of all time. Love them so hard. Thanks for mentioning them.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
Blind Melon - People only know No Rain, but some of the stuff off their second album, Soup is really good too. Mouthful of Cavities, Change, Tones of Home are some of my favorite songs of all time. Too bad we couldn't have seen them grow as a band.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is up there as one of my all time favorite albums.
Love Blind Melon. I Wonder and Seed to a Tree are phenomenal songs. I got to see them in concert at Roseland in NYC. What a show.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Love Blind Melon. I Wonder and Seed to a Tree are phenomenal songs. I got to see them in concert at Roseland in NYC. What a show.
What's up man!

Long time no see! All good here. Kid got his permit so out practicing with him a lot

Roseland was a great hangout way back when. Saw the Kinks there a bunch of times and this party band from New Orleans called The Radiators used to roll through a few times year. They were like the Rock and Roll side of the Dead meets J Geils. Never had a set list and played all night. Fun times!

I'm still planning on Surfside over Christmas. Not sure the exact dates yet. Probably get there the 22 or 23rd and stay till 29th I'm thinking

Hopefully we can meet up. Benjamin's coffee shop down there is awesome.

Hope all is well. Hit me up in the PM whenever you feel like. I have regular chats with a few of the fellas from the NYI boards there

Reactions: islesmb

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
True. If we were ranking the most under-appreciated instrument, my vote would go to the keyboard. Everyone has their list of best guitarists. How many debates do we have over best keyboardist? In fact, is there even such a thing as a keyboard-god?

We're not talking about secondary sounds like harmonicas or tambourines. Keyboards have a central role to play in rock, but maybe because the keyboardist is hidden behind it they don't get the adulation reserved for the guitar player.
This is part of my point. Ray Manzarek is cruelly underrated. Truly one of the greatest musicians ever. If he was a piano player he would have been up in the Billy Joel, Elton John echelon. Robby Krieger as well, is a top 10 guitarist of all time. Jim gets all the publicity and admiration (and I am a huge Jim person, probably the most influential non familial person in my life) but he is easily the 3rd most talented member of The Doors. But when The Doors are talked about in the annals of history it’s always about Jim making Ray and Robby unbelievably underrated.
Just watch Ray at the Hollywood Bowl in 68’. It is something to behold.

Reactions: Lshap and Mike C

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Untitled-2.jpg

This should be ban worthy. Why would you troll everybody replying to your own thread?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
View attachment 737131

This should be ban worthy. Why would you troll everybody replying to your own thread?
I'm gonna go 3rd man in here and ask what exactly was the gentleman trolling?.... unless you mean the dissenting opinion into the silly nonsense that the Doors, and The Who weren't and aren't legendary bands.

honestly not trying to be a dick here, just taken aback by your post. i see nothing wrong at all, let alone "ban worthy"

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm gonna go 3rd man in here and ask what exactly was the gentleman trolling?.... unless you mean the dissenting opinion into the silly nonsense that the Doors, and The Who weren't and aren't legendary bands.

honestly not trying to be a dick here, just taken aback by your post. i see nothing wrong at all, let alone "ban worthy"
Well, the thread was titles Most underappreciated band ever... got changed to the opposite. Maybe banning someone for this is a little extreme, but the possibility to post new threads should at least be taken away.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Well, the thread was titles Most underappreciated band ever... got changed to the opposite. Maybe banning someone for this is a little extreme, but the possibility to post new threads should at least be taken away.
OP doesn't even know how to keep his username or avatar straight for more than 5 minutes, so there's no wonder he can't keep thread titles straight either.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
most threads i've noticed veer off course to some degree....kinda went from, the who has no commercial success (paraphrase summation) to it doesn't matter they're still great and down the hole we go

i personally like the liberty to stray a little and be able to go off topic a bit, within reason no doubt and keep it all fun

appreciate the reply

gotta take the 15 year old driving.....let's hope I survive the day so I can listen to anything (except the wife's nonsense of course!)

hahahahahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to end this thread once and for ..
Hole
Courtney Love was more talented than Curt.there I said it.

I'll die on this hill.

I’ll put Live Through This, and specifically Violet, up with anything Nirvana did. Don’t think I’d say the same about Celebrity Skin.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
most threads i've noticed veer off course to some degree....kinda went from, the who has no commercial success (paraphrase summation) to it doesn't matter they're still great and down the hole we go

i personally like the liberty to stray a little and be able to go off topic a bit, within reason no doubt and keep it all fun

appreciate the reply

gotta take the 15 year old driving.....let's hope I survive the day so I can listen to anything (except the wife's nonsense of course!)

hahahahahahaha
Good luck with that.

And well, of course the discussions go in many different ways in a thread, but someone opening it for the first time should know what the posters were responding to... Net étiquette, I guess.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

I have more...

Yeah, all my childhood friends who weren't into metal but only alternative loved The Pixies, Frank Black, Joey Santiago and The Sardines, anything from that family tree.

Them and Jane's Addiction and I'd also throw in Love and Rockets and XTC were like the four bands who missed the big alternative boom boat, with the first two by just months (I always make the analogy they're the Jan Erixon/Mike Gartner/Ron Greschner/John Vanbiesbrouck of the 1994 Rangers lol).

Reactions: T REX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad