Music: Who are the most underappreciated bands ever?

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1691238522667.png

I don't mean critically. My personal top 4 are my all-time favorite punk band The Cramps ^, D.C.'s Bad Brains, Minnesota's Husker Du, and Milwaukee's Violent Femmes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I don't mean critically. My personal top 4 are my all-time favorite punk band The Cramps ^, D.C.'s Bad Brains, Minnesota's Husker Du, and Milwaukee's Violent Femmes.

Some suggestions I got from Yardbarker are Anvil, April Wine, Black 47, Blue Cheer, Boogie Down Productions, Cinderella, Exodus, Little Feat, Living Colour (Cult of Personality is my favorite MTV video), Melvins, Naked Raygun, Screaming Trees, Social Distortion, Ten Years After (Alvin Lee is a great guitarist), UFO, and Wishbone Ash. Does @Hockey Outsider appreciate Wishbone Ash? Does @Dr Pepper like Anvil and April Wine? We'll see what they say. I hope @GKJ posts.
Probably got like 50 bands I could list. I’ll get to some of them.

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

@kook10 Sly and the Family Stone are a top 50 band all-time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike C

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I don't know about 'ever'.. but I thought Failure was the most underappreciated (rock) band of the '9os.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just going down my list of favorite things, the names I hear mentioned least often are probably Can, Neu!, Faust, Augustus Pablo, John Hassell, Gas, Glen Branca, and Tony Conrad, but they're all critically appreciated.

Reactions: snuffelapagus

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Just going down my list of favorite things, the names I hear mentioned least often are probably Can, Neu!, Faust, Augustus Pablo, John Hassell, Gas, Glen Branca, and Tony Conrad, but they're all critically appreciated.
Re: Can: I suppose, but I think they should be even more appreciated. Like at the level of The Beatles, The Kinks, or The Beach Boys.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Can: I suppose, but I think they should be even more appreciated. Like at the level of The Beatles, The Kinks, or The Beach Boys.
Agreed. I definitely appreciate Can far more than The Beatles, The Kinks, or The Beach Boys. Honestly, I'd make that argument about a ton of things that it still feels absurd to call underappreciated, though.

Example: I could honestly say that I feel that The Wire is an underappreciated TV show (because despite already being considered one of the best shows of all time and being insanely highly appreciated, from my perspective, inferior stuff like Breaking Bad still gets mentioned in the same breath and treated like its equal, and its name still doesn't quite ring out like The Sopranos does).

Last edited:

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
The Decemberists - their shtick makes them pretty unique and I think they have been pretty consistent quality wise with their most recent album in 2018 being really good in my opinion despite being a middle aged band with families and side projects now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Misfits
Social Distortion
Sevendust
The Prodigy
Groove Armada
Slightly Stoopid
Stick Figure
Don Carlos (not a band, but he should be more well known by pop culture)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad