Music: Who are the most underappreciated bands ever?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, John Medeski, Ray Manzerek, Page McConnell, J-M Jarre

I play keys myself so I always had a soft spot for the guys who were usually somewhere in the back on the stage. ;)
I don't, but it's a great instrument and can really add atmosphere and even make the song.

Another few: Ihsahn (Emperor), Morbid (Rotting Christ), Protector / Silenius (Summoning).

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
3 more: claude schnell, david rosenthal, and billy preston

question: wendy carlos - the operation - before or after a clockwork orange? i ask because i don't remember the answer
1972 was the sex reassignment surgery and 1971 was when A Clockwork Orange came out. But I think she already considered herself a female in the 60s, around the time when her career commenced.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The word underappreciated could be interpreted many ways, so my choices are bands who would be in my top 100, but are not, and likely never will be in the Rock Hall of Fame, bands you'd never see on a Rolling Stone best-of-list, and bands who were never big on the charts except for maybe one or two songs:

Bands
BlackCrowes
Blue Oyster Cult
Concrete Blonde
Divinyls
Faith No More
Fetchin Bones
Living Colour
Los Lobos
Pavement
Replacements
Sonic Youth
Squeeze
Urge Overkill
Waterboys (have lots of great songs beside just Whole Of The Moon)
X (on my all-time top 10 bands list)
Yo La Tengo
10000 Maniacs

Solo Artists
Tori Amos
Steve Earle (his output holds up well against Springsteen, Mellencamp, Petty or Seger)
PJ Harvey (best singer/songwriter of last 30 years)
John Hiatt
Chris Isaak
Joe Jackson
Daniel Lanois
Maria McKee
Graham Parker
Liz Phair

Canadians
Blue Rodeo
Bruce Cockburn
Cowboy Junkies
Grapes Of Wrath
Jr. Gone Wild
National Velvet
Jane Siberry
Sloan
Tragically Hip (underappreciated outside Canada)
Some great picks here. PJ Harvey (just released a new album) and 10,000 Maniacs specifically. Divinyls were basically only known for 1 song, which wasn’t fair to them.

Any suburban teenage girl in the 90’s who eschewed pop and boy bands and would rather listen to nu metal or industrial metal loved Tori Amos, even though she wasn’t either of those things. It was like she knew the right thing to write to get them to chill out.

Reactions: reckoning

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
keyboard heroes in rock off the top of my head:

rick wakeman
keith emerson
elton john
billly joel
don airey
john paul jones
paul mccartney
jon lord

keyboard heroes in rock off the top of my head:

rick wakeman
keith emerson
elton john
billly joel
don airey
john paul jones
paul mccartney
jon lord
Jon Lord....very nice!

Throw Billy Preston in there eh?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Rush, such a long and successful career and all 3 of them are amazing musicians, masters of their instruments but they never seemed to get the recognition they deserve from the general public. That being said so many rock/metal musicians list them as being an influence such as Grohl and the Foo Fighters, the members of Tool and Rage Against the Machine, etc. as seen in the Rush documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage". Good article about being a Rush fan showing how underappreciated they are.

Reactions: NyQuil

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Rush, such a long and successful career and all 3 of them are amazing musicians, masters of their instruments but they never seemed to get the recognition they deserve from the general public. That being said so many rock/metal musicians list them as being an influence such as Grohl and the Foo Fighters, the members of Tool and Rage Against the Machine, etc. as seen in the Rush documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage". Good article about being a Rush fan showing how underappreciated they are.

Seeing them live several times, I was mesmorized how Lifeson could make his guitar sound keyboardesque

Reactions: beowulf

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Weird, I haven't heard about him in quite some time. Mid-90s, Black Rider got the avant-garde scene and people's attention (including me), and for a little while afterwards, here and there, but he's never mentioned as a big boss of American music - which IMO he should.

He plays in Jarmusch and Coen brothers movies and per his Wikipedia page, his last album received a ton of critical acclaim and was nominated for a Grammy (I know, I know, but it's still a sign). I don't know, I get that he's not a blockbuster artist, but he's about as famous as it gets IMO for non-radio artists. I think a lot of it has to do with longevity/persona but still. I think a bunch of brands in the past have also tried (unsuccesfully) to use his music in ads.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I'm going to end this thread once and for ..
Hole
Courtney Love was more talented than Curt.there I said it.

I'll die on this hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: reckoning

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
They were a parody of crooners in a psychedelic and outragious way. They were early Monty Python at the time. Neil Innis co-wrote most of the songs and he's the one who composed the Rutles albums, a parody of the Beatles. One of the best Rutles song really sounds like it was a Lennon song, Let's Be Natural. Very similar to Dear Prudence.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's Neil Innes, and for my money, Vivian Stanshall was by far the most interesting member of the group. A true English eccentric.
Too bad Stanshall wasn't in the Rutles. He could have been a better John Lennon or I should say Ron Nasty. Wow, the picked a name for Lennon, lol.

todeskultes

harumph
May 28, 2016
Toronto
No order and all over the place.

Walrus
Suicide
The Chameleons
Throbbing Gristle
Modern English (I think Mesh & Lace is super underrated)
Gordons
The Dead C
Lift to Experience
Iron Monkey (9 Joint Spiritual Whip is the best sludge metal song)
Iron Curtain
Hellhammer
Chumbawamba (Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records is a ten)
Yaphet Kotto

Reactions: Hippasus

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Talk Talk was the first band that came to mind.
L

I don't know if they're it but the one thing they do have is the prettiest album cover of all-time. It's so pretty I actually bought a t-shirt of it (only band shirt I own):

1692066485139.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad