Who are the "big fish" for trade deadline this year?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What could North Bay offer to Peterborough in a trade for Konnor Smith. Their only 2nd is in 2027 and the Petes are likely looking for 2nds in the 2024-2026 drafts. Two, 3rds would not be enough. What player could they offer? I think the Petes would be looking for a defenceman and a 2nd and 3rd.
An ‘06 D, and near 2, 3 would make teams look elsewhere first imo. The GMs of the other teams with Smith & Smyth might cut Oake’s throat for a return near what you suggest.
Maybe ‘06 D Rismond, ‘24-6, ‘25-4, 5 and possibly a serviceable ‘06 forward. A return with nicer looking numbered picks would likely be 2026-27.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
An ‘06 D, and near 2, 3 would make teams look elsewhere first imo. The GMs of the other teams with Smith & Smyth might cut Oake’s throat for a return near what you suggest.
Maybe Rismond, ‘24-6, ‘25-4, 5 and possibly a serviceable ‘06 forward. A return with nicer looking numbered picks would likely be 2026-27.
Konnor Smith is a top two or three defenceman on a team. Derek Smyth and Blake Smith are not. I don’t think people outside of Peterborough know how valuable he is. The Petes would not accept a rookie defenceman and only a 4th, 5th and 6th for him. They definitely wound want either a 2025 or 2026 2nd and 3rd in a deal like that. When you look at what comparable defenceman he is worth far more than you suggest.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Konnor Smith is a top two or three defenceman on a team. Derek Smyth and Blake Smith are not. I don’t think people outside of Peterborough know how valuable he is. The Petes would not accept a rookie defenceman and only a 4th, 5th and 6th for him. They definitely wound want either a 2025 or 2026 2nd and 3rd in a deal like that. When you look at what comparable defenceman he is worth far more than you suggest.
I think you’re going to be disappointed by the Konnor Smith return. I would gladly take a prospect like Brayden Turley and a 3rd for Smith.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I think you are looking too hard at deficiencies. It is way too early to make a judgement. When you have players that have demonstrated past performance, it is less likely they have all of those guys fall flat than it simply being a slow start. They will have another 6 weeks to see which players are unable to turn their seasons around.

I believe they likely only need three key players. Maybe they can snag some depth players but they aren’t needed. You don’t need nine forwards all over a point per game. You do need some players that play a specific type of game that opens the ice for the others. Those guys aren’t going to tally a lot of points. So, from an offensive perspective, adding the centre and D-Man should be enough to make a significant difference. The goalie would also be a great addition but they could get by with a solid backup and keep Oke as a starter. If they are able to get a solid 19 year old like DiVincentiis then do it. It would be a nice cherry on top.

The one area where I admit I am not close enough to the team to assess is the depth on defence. It looks more like they are relying on size but I am not sure how mobile they are. It may be a poor mix. I am not sure. If it is a poor mix, it usually isn’t all that difficult to flip a big D-Man for a mobile average sized d-Man if they need to change the makeup. That should be a straight up one for one conversion. It shouldn’t cost them anything to change that makeup.

Saginaw won't be the only team looking to add a goalie in the West

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For NB, he would be a four 5 on 5, and 6 on 5 late with opposing goalie pulled. The Battalion can really use a safety net for Nelson and net presence that can clear the crease with authority and efficiency. That might allow Nelson more time to gasp for air after a whistle rather than use energy wrestling after whistles.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Chromiak went for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. A decent return. Kingston gets a pretty good D-Man. I figured a 2nd and 3rd would be the ceiling for the return so pretty close.

I still feel Ottawa should have been in on that deal but it is what it is.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Chromiak went for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. A decent return. Kingston gets a pretty good D-Man. I figured a 2nd and 3rd would be the ceiling for the return so pretty close.

I still feel Ottawa should have been in on that deal but it is what it is.
I was pretty close. I thought they might get a 2nd and a 4th. They also managed to get a 6th. I felt as the weeks dragged on they might have had to trade him for a mid round draft as it appeared there was no interest in him.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Question.
Why is it that only first rounders can be traded during their first year?
Any insight on the reasoning

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Question.
Why is it that only first rounders can be traded during their first year?
Any insight on the reasoning
When the draft was a combination of 16 and 17 year olds players being drafted prior to the 2000 draft. Players drafted in the 1st round and all 16 year olds could not be traded. You were only allowed to select two 16 year old players in the first three rounds. 17 year olds and older who were not 1st round draft picks could be traded. In 1989 they changed the rules so Sault Ste Marie could trade Eric Lindros who refused to report to the Greyhounds. The window to trade them was and is still January 1 until the trade deadline. In 2000 the OHL changed the draft to allow all players to be drafted at 16 and the rules now allow four underages per team. They now allow 1st round players to be traded in two trade windows first in September for defected players and the January timeframe for any 1st rounder. but did not change them to allow 2-15 round 16 year olds to be traded.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
That doesn't sound pretty close?
I was pretty close. I thought they might get a 2nd and a 4th. They also managed to get a 6th. I felt as the weeks dragged on they might have had to trade him for a mid round draft as it appeared there was no interest in him.
Did you read my original post? I said I thought they might a 2nd and 4th. I was fairly close they also got 6th. With the fact no deal had happened in over a week I then thought the return would be a lot lower. I was wrong it was not.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
With Lockhart now moved to Oshawa, what other “insight” can you offer. You’re 0/2 now on Peterborough OA trades so far this year. Which player isn’t moving next?
Easy now.......IMO if the Petes had their choice then Gauvreau would have been traded at this point , not Lockhart.
Problem is that there is no market for Gauvreau other than giving him away which Oke would rather not do.
I'm sure that Oke and the coaches didn't feel great about sitting a 20 year old player each game this season (one who helped them win a championship last year), otherwise they wouldn't have dealt Lockhart and the DEFINITELY would not have dealt him to Oshawa :eek3:

Who is most likely to be dealt at the deadline?
Beck and Mayer at the very least and possibly Smith

The strength of the Petes this season has been defense and goaltending so with Mayer and possibly Smith being traded, the Petes will need the experience and solid defensive play that Gaurvreau brings.

Oke will likely get a serviceable OA Dman in the deal he does for Mayer. (Mancini - SAG, Hislop - GUE)
Post deadline the Petes defense could look like this:

OA Dman McCoy
Gauvreau Cameron
Woulds Velliaris
Ladds

What would it look like if Gauvreau was traded instead of Lockhart? :rolleyes:

I like the plan going forward and that the less experienced guys on the Petes will be seeing a lot more ice-time after the trade deadline. Hopefully the Petes are in a position at the trade deadline where they've banked enough points and this young group can get some playoff experience as well.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Owen Beck is going to be one of the most sought after players at the trade deadline. After a slow start in which he only had one point in 6 gam he has gone on to have 10 goals and 8 assists for 18 points in 11 games. He plays a 200 foot game. He is one of the best face off players in the league with 253 face offs won and 60.4 percent on face off wins. He also plays a very physical game. He is a proven winner with a gold medal with Team Canada at the World Juniors in 2023 and an OHL Championship last year with the Petes. He is what any team that wants to win a championship needs. Peterborough should get a huge return for him.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Easy now.......IMO if the Petes had their choice then Gauvreau would have been traded at this point , not Lockhart.
Problem is that there is no market for Gauvreau other than giving him away which Oke would rather not do.
I'm sure that Oke and the coaches didn't feel great about sitting a 20 year old player each game this season (one who helped them win a championship last year), otherwise they wouldn't have dealt Lockhart and the DEFINITELY would not have dealt him to Oshawa :eek3:

Who is most likely to be dealt at the deadline?
Beck and Mayer at the very least and possibly Smith

The strength of the Petes this season has been defense and goaltending so with Mayer and possibly Smith being traded, the Petes will need the experience and solid defensive play that Gaurvreau brings.

Oke will likely get a serviceable OA Dman in the deal he does for Mayer. (Mancini - SAG, Hislop - GUE)
Post deadline the Petes defense could look like this:

OA Dman McCoy
Gauvreau Cameron
Woulds Velliaris
Ladds

What would it look like if Gauvreau was traded instead of Lockhart? :rolleyes:

I like the plan going forward and that the less experienced guys on the Petes will be seeing a lot more ice-time after the trade deadline. Hopefully the Petes are in a position at the trade deadline where they've banked enough points and this young group can get some playoff experience as well.
I think the Petes can get more than an overage defenceman for Sam Mayer. I think they could get a 17 year old defenceman plus a 2nd and a 3rd or a 4th for him. I don’t expect the Petes to trade anymore than Owen Beck and Sam Mayer. They will only trade Konnor Smith if they get an offer they cannot refuse. They will keep enough of their veteran players to remain competitive.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 190 is almost 206

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the Petes can get more than an overage defenceman for Sam Mayer. I think they could get a 17 year old defenceman plus a 2nd and a 3rd or a 4th for him. I don’t expect the Petes to trade anymore than Owen Beck and Sam Mayer. They will only trade Konnor Smith if they get an offer they cannot refuse. They will keep enough of their veteran players to remain competitive.

An offer that cannot be refused will much more likely be for McCoy than Smith.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Missy is such a wildcard. Team is totally not ready this year but they have an OA spot open. Plus, with so many returning players (21), and so many draft picks, I’d love to be a fly on that wall during strategy discussions. I can honestly see them nibble at the fringes come the deadline in an effort to push this team into at least a Conference Final.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Owen Beck is going to be one of the most sought after players at the trade deadline. After a slow start in which he only had one point in 6 gam he has gone on to have 10 goals and 8 assists for 18 points in 11 games. He plays a 200 foot game. He is one of the best face off players in the league with 253 face offs won and 60.4 percent on face off wins. He also plays a very physical game. He is a proven winner with a gold medal with Team Canada at the World Juniors in 2023 and an OHL Championship last year with the Petes. He is what any team that wants to win a championship needs. Peterborough should get a huge return for him.
I just don't know who is willing to pay the price to get him...

Reactions: HF92 and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just remember that it's fans who are posting the "price" on here. We have no idea what GM's are asking for or willing to take. Prices also fluctuate each year based on supply and demand. Carry on.

Very true BUT there are generally accepted standards.

To me, the question is what standard is Beck held up to? Is he “The Elite” player this year and if so, does he stand up beside guys like MacT? IF he does, then the return will be as is standard for players of his calibre. If he is not, then he will go for the picks package generally reserved for the second category of player.

The caveat, as you so aptly have pointed out, depends on the demand. I don’t think the supply side will come into play. I can only see two potential players becoming available that would upset the supply (Nelson and Rehkopf).

So many teams are unable to participate on the demand side. We know Saginaw has to. We assume SSM and Sudbury will. Missy, Kingston, London, and Guelph may also throw their hat into the ring. They may also sit status quo.

That is the other caveat we haven’t’ really looked at. What happens if most stay status quo? That will really affect the supply overall. It will diminish greatly. With so many teams being in reach, Kitchener possibly staying status quo and the Petes the only team showing their cards so far, it could get messy.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Every year or so there is always a shocking trade that gets fans attention. If a GM has the assets to burn he will try to out bid every other GM to get a player like Beck. If they consider him to be a player that helps put them over the top. Going by the face off % if correct it's a stat that will garner a hell of a lot of attention. Look good in a Ranger uni too!;)

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Does Owen sound consider dealing Barlow? If so I think that could be the wild card deal that some people didn’t see coming. If Owen sound isn’t gonna be buyers I think they’d be smart to cash in on Barlow seeing as he’s probably not back next year

Reactions: RB76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad