Who are the "big fish" for trade deadline this year?

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Here’s my top 10 list.

1. Filip Mesar KIT
2. Michael Simpson PBO
3. Owen Beck PBO
4. Bryce McConnell-Barker SOO
5. Matthew Poitras GUE *GUE will compete in playoffs*
6. Hunter Brzustewicz KIT
7. David Goyette SBY *SBY will compete in playoffs*
8. Ben Gaudreau SAR
9. Connor Lockhart PBO
10. Alex Christopoulos WSR

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Here’s my top 10 list.

1. Filip Mesar KIT
2. Michael Simpson PBO
3. Owen Beck PBO
4. Bryce McConnell-Barker SOO
5. Matthew Poitras GUE *GUE will compete in playoffs*
6. Hunter Brzustewicz KIT
7. David Goyette SBY *SBY will compete in playoffs*
8. Ben Gaudreau SAR
9. Connor Lockhart PBO
10. Alex Christopoulos WSR
Goyette is going nowhere!!!

WJ

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'd also put there being next to no chance that McConnell Barker goes anywhere.

the hounds are poised to be a much better team this year. if you couple this with the fact that Raftis has never traded away an elite player even when we sucked, you can safely say BMB will graduate a greyhound.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

the hounds are poised to be a much better team this year. if you couple this with the fact that Raftis has never traded away an elite player even when we sucked, you can safely say BMB will graduate a greyhound.
^
|
|
|

this

Even if there was an ounce of doubt whether or not Raftis wanted to compete this season or retool, drafting a 19 year old import earlier this month should stop that nonsense discussion now.

Much to my chagrin.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

Be in for a long couple of years if we don't retool. We aren't near good enough to compete. I'd love to send bmb to sudbury in a package for taylor and picks.

Same old song and dance. Be just good enough to win a round or maybe two. Round and round we go.

Was hoping the 19 year old d was to replace kirill when we trade him but I guess that's not gonna happen lol

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
^
|
|
|

this

Even if there was an ounce of doubt whether or not Raftis wanted to compete this season or retool, drafting a 19 year old import earlier this month should stop that nonsense discussion now.

Much to my chagrin.
The hounds look pretty good actually, so does the competition unfortunately.

There seems to be an extreme split in talent and birth year (2004 vs 2006) between the east & west right now.
Any of Guelph, OS, London, SSM, Flint, Erie; could probably take a run at appearing in the Memorial Cup if in the east this season.
Hamilton, Oshawa, & Ottawa have two ‘06-1sts. Mississauga has three ‘06-1sts, 7 players selected by round 4. Barrie has six selected by the 3rd, 9 by round 5. NB has 9 signed ‘06 including an import. There might be significantly more future picks held by eastern conference too.

Reactions: HF92

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The complaint by Hounds fans is that looking "pretty good" with an empty cupboard is not a recipe for success. Sigh, likely another second round exit in the cards this season and more empty cupboards in future seasons.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Petes have Owen Beck and Michael Simpson

I’m not sure how many other teams are in sell mode going into the season. I am sure a few teams will play themselves into sell mode though.
I also think Konnor Smith could be traded at the deadline. He was key to the Petes’ Championship run this past season and could bring a significant return. Donovan McCoy could be traded but it is less likely that he will be.

Add Sam Mayer to the list of veterans available in PBO.
I doubt he will be traded early in the season. I expect he will start along with Connor Lockhart and Jax Dubois to start the season. If he is traded it likely be at the deadline.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I also think Konnor Smith could be traded at the deadline. He was key to the Petes’ Championship run this past season and could bring a significant return. Donovan McCoy could be traded but it is less likely that he will be.

I doubt he will be traded early in the season. I expect he will start along with Connor Lockhart and Jax Dubois to start the season. If he is traded it likely be at the deadline.
Petes are likely to hold onto Smith and McCoy. They need some veteran defenceman to lead the way and not have the team get shelled every night. Hard to develop guys when you’re constantly pulling the puck out of your net

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Petes are likely to hold onto Smith and McCoy. They need some veteran defenceman to lead the way and not have the team get shelled every night. Hard to develop guys when you’re constantly pulling the puck out of your net
I am fairly certain they will hold onto Donovan McCoy. With Konnor Smith it will depends what offers they get for him. If they are able to obtain a 17 or 18 year old defenceman as part of a deal for him they may make the trade. I think the Petes will be stronger than people think they will be. They have some solid pieces returning. At forward they will have Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois, Jonathan Melee, Chase Lefebvre, Tommy Purdeller, Sam McCue, Quinton Page and Owen Beck who most definitely be traded at the deadline. On defence they have Sam Mayer, Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith. In goal they have Liam Sztuska and Easton Rye. They will be rebuilding. In the first half they will be competitive. They are not a contender but will win some games. They will trade their excess overages early in the season for draft picks. They will trade Beck at the deadline for a good young player and multiple draft picks. They also may trade Lockhart, Mayer and Smith at the deadline for players and draft picks. They may not get a player in every trade they make but they can trade some of the draft picks they receive in the trades in seperate trades for players. If they do the rebuild right they will be younger but will have hopefully retooled with younger players and increased their draft picks. There is no reason they could not remain competitive like Hamilton and Mississauga were last season and potentially make the playoffs while they are rebuilding.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Off the top of my head, Mayer & Punnett (possibly the colts next captain) might be the best of the most certain to return OA LD. At some point though, any of Cholach, Hache, Guryev, …could return to the OHL.
The Petes might decide it is best to keep Gauvreau as one of their OAs and trade Mayer prior to the start of the season.
The Petes should have some picks in hand just in case younger players become available imo. The last time Guelph made a run, Burnett effectively traded his entire draft class from the previous year; 1st, 2nd, 3-3rds.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Dude chill. That’s why I put SBY Will compete in playoffs so I don’t think he does move. I’m no slouch, I know how good SBY can be this coming year.

Attachments

• chrome_image_Jul. 23, 2023 12_26_01 p.m. EDT.png
    chrome_image_Jul. 23, 2023 12_26_01 p.m. EDT.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: tjziel and Slowpace

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Off the top of my head, Mayer & Punnett (possibly the colts next captain) might be the best of the most certain to return OA LD. At some point though, any of Cholach, Hache, Guryev, …could return to the OHL.
The Petes might decide it is best to keep Gauvreau as one of their OAs and trade Mayer prior to the start of the season.
The Petes should have some picks in hand just in case younger players become available imo. The last time Guelph made a run, Burnett effectively itraded his entire draft class from the previous year; 1st, 2nd, 3-3rds.
If the Petes trade Sam Mayer they will do so when they can get the most for him. I think that would be a the trade deadline. However if the Petes got an offer similar to what London got for Gerard Keane last season which was Alec Leonard, a 2nd and a 3rd draft picks they may trade him earlier.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If the Petes trade Sam Mayer they will do so when they can get the most for him. I think that would be a the trade deadline. However if the Petes got an offer similar to what London got for Gerard Keane last season which was Alec Leonard, a 2nd and a 3rd draft picks they may trade him
IMO, Oke will trade Simpson prior to the season but which other OAs get traded prior to the season will depend on the offers.
If the Petes get attention grabbing offers for Mayer or Lockhart in preseason like @Petes1987 mentioned above then Oke will gladly accept.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
What do people think about this....
North Bay has the current OHL Goaltender of the Year in Dom DiVincentiis AND Ty Nelson - a 25 goal, 75 + point player from the back end. The options I'd see are: a.) Trade either one early and start the rebuild now, and/or b.) Wait until the deadline to see where NB is going and what the top contenders are willing to give up to acquire them. Now me - I love DiVincentiis as a player, and there were times where he carried the team on his back during that long run last season. He's a real workhorse....but at the same time, I don't think they have the pieces overall this year to go on the same kind of run. And - would Charlie Robertson even *want* to wait another year in the wings at this point? I think not. To me, it would make more sense to deal DdV (when the price for his acquisition should be at its highest) and shore up the defence *around* Robertson (Mathurin and Nelson could be a lethal Top 2 if they remain healthy) my only questions are a.) who is (likely) North Bay's Top 6 and b.) who is available out there for a trade that could address the obvious loss of scoring punch? My Top 4 (If I had the choice....:naughty:)

Nelson
Mathurin
Christopoulos (OA)
Kennedy

My other two OA's at this point( if they choose to return) would be Zito and Arnsby.....but it's bound to be a difficult decision with so many OA's for this club to choose from

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What do people think about this....
North Bay has the current OHL Goaltender of the Year in Dom DiVincentiis AND Ty Nelson - a 25 goal, 75 + point player from the back end. The options I'd see are: a.) Trade either one early and start the rebuild now, and/or b.) Wait until the deadline to see where NB is going and what the top contenders are willing to give up to acquire them. Now me - I love DiVincentiis as a player, and there were times where he carried the team on his back during that long run last season. He's a real workhorse....but at the same time, I don't think they have the pieces overall this year to go on the same kind of run. And - would Charlie Robertson even *want* to wait another year in the wings at this point? I think not. To me, it would make more sense to deal DdV (when the price for his acquisition should be at its highest) and shore up the defence *around* Robertson (Mathurin and Nelson could be a lethal Top 2 if they remain healthy) my only questions are a.) who is (likely) North Bay's Top 6 and b.) who is available out there for a trade that could address the obvious loss of scoring punch? My Top 4 (If I had the choice....:naughty:)

Nelson
Mathurin
Christopoulos (OA)
Kennedy

My other two OA's at this point( if they choose to return) would be Zito and Arnsby.....but it's bound to be a difficult decision with so many OA's for this club to choose from
B. wait imo.
Until Sudbury and one or two of Kingston, Brantford, Barrie, … actually make a push to contend this coming season; there is really not a contender in the conference, or even a team in the conference that would be a better playoff team as is than NB.

Some, not all of the scoring will be replaced by what might be the most skilled 17 yr olds that the Battalion have had since Hodgson, Duchene, and Goodrow.
That does not mean that I think the most recent 1st picks are as good as those, just that I believe there is a lot of offence among the ‘06 forwards. Smaller than normal for the Battalion too.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelli27

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
B. wait imo.
Until Sudbury and one or two of Kingston, Brantford, Barrie, … actually make a push to contend this coming season; there is really not a contender in the conference, or even a team in the conference that would be a better playoff team as is than NB.

Some, not all of the scoring will be replaced by what might be the most skilled 17 yr olds that the Battalion have had since Hodgson, Duchene, and Goodrow.
That does not mean that I think the most recent 1st picks are as good as those, just that I believe there is a lot of offence among the ‘06 forwards. Smaller than normal for the Battalion too.
The Peterborough Petes might not be rebuilding this coming season. There appears that there may be a chance that Tucker Robertson will return as an overage this coming season. In the Peterborough Examiner article coach Rob Wilson has said that anything is possible depending on who return. In my opinion if Robertson returns as an overage and Owen Beck returns from Montreal the Petes and it appears Tommy Purdeller is going to play centre this year. The Petes could have the best centre depth in the East Division if not the conference. You add in Connor Lockhart, Jonathan Melee, Chase Lefebvre, Sam McCue and Quinton Page on wing. The Petes have good depth at forward. On defence they have Sam Mayer, Donovan McCoy, Konnor Smith and 1st round draft pick Cameron Carson as a good top. In goal the Petes have Liam Sztuska and Easton Rye. I do not think the Petes will contend for a Eastern Conference or OHL Championship I do believe however they could be a middle of the pack team that could slip into the top four if they get a team like this back. I still think they will do a mini rebuild. In my opinion they will trade Owen Beck for a good 17 year old player plus multiple draft picks and they will get draft picks for Michael Simpson and their other excess overages. In those deals they could get two or three 2nd round draft picks and a couple of 3rd round draft picks plus some later picks. Thus would allow them to remain competitive but restock their draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Peterborough Petes might not be rebuilding this coming season. There appears that there may be a chance that Tucker Robertson will return as an overage this coming season. In the Peterborough Examiner article coach Rob Wilson has said that anything is possible depending on who return. In my opinion if Robertson returns as an overage and Owen Beck returns from Montreal the Petes and it appears Tommy Purdeller is going to play centre this year. The Petes could have the best centre depth in the East Division if not the conference. You add in Connor Lockhart, Jonathan Melee, Chase Lefebvre, Sam McCue and Quinton Page on wing. The Petes have good depth at forward. On defence they have Sam Mayer, Donovan McCoy, Konnor Smith and 1st round draft pick Cameron Carson as a good top. In goal the Petes have Liam Sztuska and Easton Rye. I do not think the Petes will contend for a Eastern Conference or OHL Championship I do believe however they could be a middle of the pack team that could slip into the top four if they get a team like this back. I still think they will do a mini rebuild. In my opinion they will trade Owen Beck for a good 17 year old player plus multiple draft picks and they will get draft picks for Michael Simpson and their other excess overages. In those deals they could get two or three 2nd round draft picks and a couple of 3rd round draft picks plus some later picks. Thus would allow them to remain competitive but restock their draft picks.

My hope is that the Petes follow Hamilton's plan from last year......have a strong first half with enough points to get to the middle of the standings then deal away assets at the deadline. So..... rebuild, but be good enough to make the playoffs and get playoff experience for the young guys.

So much is out of Oke's/Wilson's hand as far as who returns as OAs and what kind of offers they get from other teams for their excess OAs.

Reactions: Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad