Who are the "big fish" for trade deadline this year?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
If the Petes trade Sam Mayer it will likely cost a team a defenceman and 2nd and 3rd draft pick at minimum. He totally dominated the game against Niagara tonight.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Filling 2, 3, 4 spots of the 2024 draft must be a priority. The Petes might have to trade with three different teams to accomplish that.
There is probably no shortage of OAs again next season. The Petes probably want to move Sztuska and Beck, and one of Melee, Lefebvre, Smith, McCoy. There is also a pretty good chance Mayer & Lockhart are moved with one OA from another team finishing the season with the Petes.
I expect the Petes will trade Owen Beck at the trade deadline for a large return. Maybe Konnor Smith for a defenceman and couple of draft picks. They will likely only move Connor Lockhart and Sam Mayer at deadline if they get the right offer. They will likely not trade Chase Lefebvre, Jonathan Melee and Donovan McCoy as they will be their overages next year. They may move Liam Sztuska if Zach Bowen continues his strong play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I expect the Petes will trade Owen Beck at the trade deadline for a large return. Maybe Konnor Smith for a defenceman and couple of draft picks. They will likely only move Connor Lockhart and Sam Mayer at deadline if they get the right offer. They will likely not trade Chase Lefebvre, Jonathan Melee and Donovan McCoy as they will be their overages next year. They may move Liam Sztuska if Zach Bowen gcontinues his strong play.
That is not a whole lot different than I posted; except the part about the Petes needing to come out of the trade dead line with 2024-2, 3, 4 picks, and that could require trades with 3 teams.
A ‘24-2nd is worth 2 & 3 picks between 2025-27, right?
The Petes are not in a spot like the Battalion that have something like 19 picks in each of the next two drafts, 9 signed ‘06, and 6-‘07 selected by round 5. The Petes do need a rebuild.

The Petes will get ‘the right offer’ for Mayer. Like A.Xhekaj two seasons ago, he might be the #1 target among D.
There is no value in Lockhart or Sztuska next season, and their WAR is almost zero. I think the Petes would accept a last minute offer of an OA and ‘24-4th for Lockhart.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Who will the first big fish to get dealt that will start the rest of the trades
I doubt there will be many trades of the “big fish” until after Christmas. Three of the teams that are suppose to rebuilding are currently in the top four in their conference. Peterborough is 1st in their division and Kitchener is leading the Western Conference. Sarnia has had a fast start to the season. I do not thing these teams are going to trade their big names at this point in the season. If they it will be at the deadline. I would have to think Saginaw will try and do something soon. They are having a disappointing season as Memorial Cup hosts. They currently sit out of the playoffs in 9th in the Western Conference. They have already traded multiple draft picks for Ethan Hay and will likely try to turn things around with a trade for a “big fish” that they hope will shakeup their team. They be able to make a trade with Windsor who also need to do something to shakeup their team

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
I doubt there will be many trades of the “big fish” until after Christmas. Three of the teams that are suppose to rebuilding are currently in the top four in their conference. Peterborough is 1st in their division and Kitchener is leading the Western Conference. Sarnia has had a fast start to the season. I do not thing these teams are going to trade their big names at this point in the season. If they it will be at the deadline. I would have to think Saginaw will try and do something soon. They are having a disappointing season as Memorial Cup hosts. They currently sit out of the playoffs in 9th in the Western Conference. They have already traded multiple draft picks for Ethan Hay and will likely try to turn things around with a trade for a “big fish” that they hope will shakeup their team. They be able to make a trade with Windsor who also need to do something to shakeup their team
As for Ty Nelson....if the injury to DDV is long term (and from my POV at the game this afternoon, it may be - he couldn't put any weight at all on the leg/ankle) what do you think? If young Robertson in #1 going forward, could be NB keeps Nelson in order to keep the veteran D crew around a young goalie intact.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
People on here can claim "no value" all they want but when bodies get brought in, someone is getting moved eventually. Won't have room for all of McNamara, Gervais, Moore, Glavin etc. A rebuilding team is going to take some of these guys at some point.

Yup. If there are 20 teams with a total of 50 OA’s, there will be room for all OA’s to be reshuffled to available teams. Even rebuilding teams that want to make room for their younger players understand the value of OA’s for leadership and a calming presence on the bench and dressing room.

Same goes for most of the marginal 19 year olds. How many players leave the league or are waived after the deadline? Not many, if at all.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yup. If there are 20 teams with a total of 50 OA’s, there will be room for all OA’s to be reshuffled to available teams. Even rebuilding teams that want to make room for their younger players understand the value of OA’s for leadership and a calming presence on the bench and dressing room.

Same goes for most of the marginal 19 year olds. How many players leave the league or are waived after the deadline? Not many, if at all.
The question has to asked. Are Saginaw realistically a contender this year? They are currently a below .500 team and currently sit out of the playoffs. They will make trades because they are hosting the Memorial Cup. However do they have the players to make the trades that will turn them into a contender? It will take more than draft picks to be able to get the players they need.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question has to asked. Are Saginaw realistically a contender this year? They are currently a below .500 team and currently sit out of the playoffs. They will make trades because they are hosting the Memorial Cup. However do they have the players to make the trades that will turn them into a contender? It will take more than draft picks to be able to get the players they need.

I believe they are underachieving. I think they are missing a bonafide #1 goalie and one more centre.

Loukus hasn’t performed to his demonstrated level. Maybe he needs to be replaced as an OA? Mancini has also underperformed. Maybe he is a 2nd OA that can be upgraded.

So, to me, there are three key positions (G+C+D) that need to be addressed for them to be more of a bonafide contender. I don’t think adding those players would be all that difficult with their current picks cupboard. They won’t be able to bring in all the best at their position but I do feel they could add players like Mayer, DiVincentiis and Sop. They move out Mancini and Loukus. I believe that is doable and would be impactful.

I look at Saginaw as the team that is looking to add a handful of players to augment what they already have. I don’t feel they need to go add a super high priced individual player. They have a few key players already that they can build around.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I believe they are underachieving. I think they are missing a bonafide #1 goalie and one more centre.

Loukus hasn’t performed to his demonstrated level. Maybe he needs to be replaced as an OA? Mancini has also underperformed. Maybe he is a 2nd OA that can be upgraded.

So, to me, there are three key positions (G+C+D) that need to be addressed for them to be more of a bonafide contender. I don’t think adding those players would be all that difficult with their current picks cupboard. They won’t be able to bring in all the best at their position but I do feel they could add players like Mayer, DiVincentiis and Sop. They move out Mancini and Loukus. I believe that is doable and would be impactful.

I look at Saginaw as the team that is looking to add a handful of players to augment what they already have. I don’t feel they need to go add a super high priced individual player. They have a few key players already that they can build around.
They appear to have a lot of depth centre but other than Hunter Haight they are not producing. Matyas Sapovaliv is below a point a game and Ethan Hay is a depth player. All three are great on face offs. Joey Willis does not appear to be playing centre this year as he has only taken 9 face offs in 11 games. He only getting half a point per game. I agree they need another offensive centre. They are really weak on wing particularly on right wing. At this point Calem Mangone is their only player at that position getting any points and he is below a point a game. Dean Loukas is not producing. Nick Sima and Lincoln Moore are half a point a game players. They are a little stronger on left wing with Michael Misa being above a point a game player but is not producing at expected levels. Valentine Zhugin is just below a point per game. Sebastien Gervais is less than half a point per game. I am not sure what wing Willis is playing. Overall their offence at forward is lacking. In addition to a centre they need a goal scoring right winger. On defence they lack offence other than Zayne Parekh who is over a point a game but is -11. The defence has some size. They likely need to add two defencemen. I agree they need to add a goaltender. They likely will need to add at least five players two of which could be overagers to truly become a contender.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They appear to have a lot of depth centre but other than Hunter Haight they are not producing. Matyas Sapovaliv is below a point a game and Ethan Hay is a depth player. All three are great on face offs. Joey Willis does not appear to be playing centre this year as he has only taken 9 face offs in 11 games. He only getting half a point per game. I agree they need another offensive centre. They are really weak on wing particularly on right wing. At this point Calem Mangone is their only player at that position getting any points and he is below a point a game. Dean Loukas is not producing. Nick Sima and Lincoln Moore are half a point a game players. They are a little strong on left wing with Michael Misa being above a point a game player but is not producing at the expected levels. Valentine Zhugin is just below a point per game. Sebastien Gervais is less than half a point per game. I am not sure what wing Willis is playing. Overall their offence at forward is lacking. In addition to a centre they need a goal scoring right winger. On defence they lack offence other than Zayne Parekh who is over a point a game but is -11. The defence has some size. They likely need to add two defencemen. I agree they need to add a goaltender

I think you are looking too hard at deficiencies. It is way too early to make a judgement. When you have players that have demonstrated past performance, it is less likely they have all of those guys fall flat than it simply being a slow start. They will have another 6 weeks to see which players are unable to turn their seasons around.

I believe they likely only need three key players. Maybe they can snag some depth players but they aren’t needed. You don’t need nine forwards all over a point per game. You do need some players that play a specific type of game that opens the ice for the others. Those guys aren’t going to tally a lot of points. So, from an offensive perspective, adding the centre and D-Man should be enough to make a significant difference. The goalie would also be a great addition but they could get by with a solid backup and keep Oke as a starter. If they are able to get a solid 19 year old like DiVincentiis then do it. It would be a nice cherry on top.

The one area where I admit I am not close enough to the team to assess is the depth on defence. It looks more like they are relying on size but I am not sure how mobile they are. It may be a poor mix. I am not sure. If it is a poor mix, it usually isn’t all that difficult to flip a big D-Man for a mobile average sized d-Man if they need to change the makeup. That should be a straight up one for one conversion. It shouldn’t cost them anything to change that makeup.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

If they are shooting for a #1 goalie, why trade for Lalonde then? They seem to be running with Oke as their #1, although he is injured at the moment, so Lalonde has been thrust into that #1 role at the moment unexpectedly

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
If they are shooting for a #1 goalie, why trade for Lalonde then? They seem to be running with Oke as their #1, although he is injured at the moment, so Lalonde has been thrust into that #1 role at the moment unexpectedly
What is the extent of the Oke injury?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They may be dabbling with using an inexpensive option in net. At least early on. If it doesn’t look like it’ll work out, they may do an about face and nearer to the deadline, trade for whoever the best goalie is available.

I posted somewhere here before that in the last 20+ years, OHL host teams either already had one of, if not the best goalie in the league or traded for one.

If the Oke / Lalonde can’t get it done, I’d be surprised if they didn’t deal for a high end starter.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I did state that DiVincentiis would be more of a cherry on top.

The challenge is trying to figure out if they were to add a few good players but no one that would be considered elite, would they need to acquire a goalie that is capable of stealing games or is the overall team strong enough to win games in spite of elite goaltending? That is a question I cannot answer.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
What is the extent of the Oke injury?
I believe the team line is "upper body" but he got drilled in the Windsor game and his head slammed into the post so I'm guessing he's in concussion protocols. Scary part is a couple years ago we kept losing a ton of guys to concussions and Lennox was out for the last couple months of the season so hopefully he's back (healthy) soon and it's not too long of an absence. He's played very well so far this season so hopefully he recovers and gets us back in line.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If Saginaw needs a true #1 I’m sure the Petes would be open to moving Liam Sztuska since they also have Zach Bowen.

Sztuska has been off to a great start.
8 games played
2.98GAA
.924SV%

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As for Ty Nelson....if the injury to DDV is long term (and from my POV at the game this afternoon, it may be - he couldn't put any weight at all on the leg/ankle) what do you think? If young Robertson in #1 going forward, could be NB keeps Nelson in order to keep the veteran D crew around a young goalie intact.
The OHL career of DDV is probably not over, so add a big defensive D to pair with Nelson and a winger for the Arnsby-Ertel line.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
If Saginaw needs a true #1 I’m sure the Petes would be open to moving Liam Sztuska since they also have Zach Bowen.

Sztuska has been off to a great start.
8 games played
2.98GAA
.924SV%
Not sure there’s enough sample size for him to be considered a true number 1 in the league. Maybe by deadline time if his numbers are still good

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Konnor Smith would do the trick
If the Petes trade Konnor Smith it will likely be to a team in the Western Conference unless a team in the Eastern Conference is willing to overpay. I doubt they would want to face him on a regular basis. I honestly do not see North Bay as a contender this year. They do not have the assets to contend. They only have one, 2nd three 3rds round draft picks in the next four drafts that they are currently able to use.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If the Petes trade Konnor Smith it will likely be to a team in the Western Conference unless a team in the Eastern Conference is willing to overpay. I doubt they would want to face him on a regular basis. I honestly do not see North Bay as a contender this year. They do not have the assets to contend. They only have one, 2nd three 3rds round draft picks in the next four drafts that they are currently able to use.
The Battalion already have stars. They have a good group of 2006-07 born in place. The team can easily afford to go shopping for a Smith, Smyth, or Smith; and a Lavoie, Alfano, …from mid to bottom teams with surplus OA options for next season.
A big defensive D to pair with Nelson would give NB arguably the best D corps to go along with arguably the best goalie.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Battalion already have stars. They can easily afford to go shopping for a Smith, Smyth, or Smith; and a Lavoie, Alfano, …from mid to bottom teams with surplus OA options for next season.
A big defensive D to pair with Nelson would give NB arguably the best D corps to go along with arguably the best goalie.
What could North Bay offer to Peterborough in a trade for Konnor Smith. Their only 2nd is in 2027 and the Petes are likely looking for 2nds in the 2024-2026 drafts. Two, 3rds would not be enough. What player could they offer? I think the Petes would be looking for a defenceman and a 2nd and 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: