Who and when is the next Rocket Richard winner not named Ovechkin?

Jun 15, 2007
Ovechkin was helped by a really high shooting percentage this year. He usually leads the league in shots by a wide margin but was third this year.

I think he probably won't win another one.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not saying you're wrong.. but what's allowed Ovie to stay at the top this long doesn't really diminish drastically with age. He's shown he doesn't need the speed or strength he had as a 20 year old to score 50. His wrist and slap shots haven't shown any signs of deteriorating. The dude's been doing the same thing hovering by the circle waiting for 1 timers for his entire career and it's just not defendable. What's going to change? I think next year's is his until someone shows they can hang with him.

Draisaitl obviously seems to be the closest, but it's one season. His former career high was 29. Is this year the peak or the new norm? Tavares probably never finishes top 3 again. Laine? Maybe, but this year has eroded a lot of my confidence in his development. I could see Ovie winning it with a season in the mid-40s if league scoring goes back to normal next year (like it seemed to down the stretch).
Hand eye coordination does decline with age which he uses quite a bit. Apparently that starts to decline around 36.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Point, DeBrincat and Atkinson were never supposed to be this good according to the hockey experts. And Draisaitl is basically the modern day Jari Kurri, mooching off of the best player in the League.

McDavid, Matthews and Laine were all supposed to be elite right out of the gate. Goal scoring will simply be more revered with guys like that winning the Rocket, instead of second tier guys like Point, DeBrincat, Atkinson or Draisaitl winning it.
So because Point, DeBrincat, and Atkinson were not highly praised by scouts and "experts" that means that they should never win any kind of awards? lol

How do you feel about Pavel Datsyuk's career, or any player being good that wasn't predicted by "experts" ? lol

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So because Point, DeBrincat, and Atkinson were not highly praised by scouts and "experts" that means that they should never win any kind of awards? lol

How do you feel about Pavel Datsyuk's career, or any player being good that wasn't predicted by "experts" ? lol
Well it's fine if it's minor trophies like Selke, Bing and Norris trophies that doesn't really matter anyway. But it's a real shame when it's major trophies like the Art Ross, Rocket or Hart. Those should only go to players drafted in the Top 10.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well it's fine if it's minor trophies like Selke, Bing and Norris trophies that doesn't really matter anyway. But it's a real shame when it's major trophies like the Art Ross, Rocket or Hart. Those should only go to players drafted in the Top 10.
That is one of the most absurd and ridiculous things I've ever read, lol. I can't believe that this is a real opinion.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Matthews, Laine, Pastrnak or Drai next year or the year after that. So much scoring talent in that bunch alone that it would be insane if none of them can stay hot and healthy for a whole season.

That being said Ovy once again had the best g/gp pace this season(aside Poehling with a hat-trick in his only game) And has missed more than four games once in his career.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Matthews, next year. Hard to bet against Ovie, but I just can't imagine him winning another one at 34.

ps. You know, it's going to be Kuch going on a massive goal scoring bender next year and making us all look like fools... again.
Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png
Matthews isn't going to win any scoring races for the whole season. He gets too tired when playing consecutive games.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
the real question is, who will win multiple Rocket Richards in a row? Sure, there are a handful that could win any given season with others close in the chase, but who is going to be the next dominate goal scorer for multiple seasons?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think when and or if Laine gets his swagger back it'll be him. I see him working harder this off-season and coming back strong.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System

You must be really beat up with what Kucherov did this year if that's how you think.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No they should go the best player. You are basically complaining that scouting isn't perfect which is bizarre.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Not saying you're wrong.. but what's allowed Ovie to stay at the top this long doesn't really diminish drastically with age. He's shown he doesn't need the speed or strength he had as a 20 year old to score 50. His wrist and slap shots haven't shown any signs of deteriorating. The dude's been doing the same thing hovering by the circle waiting for 1 timers for his entire career and it's just not defendable. What's going to change? I think next year's is his until someone shows they can hang with him.

Draisaitl obviously seems to be the closest, but it's one season. His former career high was 29. Is this year the peak or the new norm? Tavares probably never finishes top 3 again. Laine? Maybe, but this year has eroded a lot of my confidence in his development. I could see Ovie winning it with a season in the mid-40s if league scoring goes back to normal next year (like it seemed to down the stretch).

Just to correct this point a little bit, he had 18 PPGs this year, and 17 each of the prior two years. And though it seems like it, not even all of those were one-timers from the left circle. I think his scoring is more varied than people give him credit for. But I do agree that as long as he has that weapon he'll be a solid contributor.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Matthews is probably the most likely if he stays healthy. Or Laine if he gets his head out of his butt.

Pastrnak, Draisatl or McDavid also have a shot.

I think Ovi still wins next year. So maybe 2021.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011

Is this real? You do know that Brett Hull for example went 117th overall, right?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
One of Pasta, Stamkos, Kucherov, Drai, Stamkos, Matthews is my bet for next year

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I could see Tavares or Matthews getting it next year. Leafs will lose a little bit of depth in the off season due to the cap and I could see both of them getting a small but meaningful amount of additional ice time. Could see that Powerplay getting a bit of an overhaul in the offseason too. Add an additional year under Marner's belt which will benefit Tavares assuming the lines stay the same.

I'd lean more towards Tavares as Matthews always seems to get some random ass injury and miss 10-20 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad