Who and when is the next Rocket Richard winner not named Ovechkin?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Matthews, next year. Hard to bet against Ovie, but I just can't imagine him winning another one at 34.

ps. You know, it's going to be Kuch going on a massive goal scoring bender next year and making us all look like fools... again.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
If Ovechkin won't win next year it better be either McDavid, Matthews or Laine who wins it.

Hate to see it go to someone like Draisaitl, Atkinson, Debrincat or Point... :(

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I won't bet against Ovechkin again until he shows otherwise. I think he gets at least one more. Who takes the "mantle" after him will probably be a revolving door. Ovechkin has been a singular player in terms of dominating the goal scoring race for what, 25 years. I doubt we see another year in, year out winner like him for a while.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm going on record now -- Ovechkin is not going to win another Richard trophy.

As to who will, I have no idea.

Not saying you're wrong.. but what's allowed Ovie to stay at the top this long doesn't really diminish drastically with age. He's shown he doesn't need the speed or strength he had as a 20 year old to score 50. His wrist and slap shots haven't shown any signs of deteriorating. The dude's been doing the same thing hovering by the circle waiting for 1 timers for his entire career and it's just not defendable. What's going to change? I think next year's is his until someone shows they can hang with him.

Draisaitl obviously seems to be the closest, but it's one season. His former career high was 29. Is this year the peak or the new norm? Tavares probably never finishes top 3 again. Laine? Maybe, but this year has eroded a lot of my confidence in his development. I could see Ovie winning it with a season in the mid-40s if league scoring goes back to normal next year (like it seemed to down the stretch).

Reactions: Hippasus and varank

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Why? If one of them leads the league with 50+ goals, why would you hate to see one of them win it?
Having guys like that win would devalue goal scoring. It's like Perry, Chechoo or Hejduk winning all over again. :(

But guys like McDavid, Matthews and Laine fit better in win previous highly praised Rocket winners like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Bure, Selanne and Stamkos.

Kaeften

Mar 19, 2018
Sweden
Having guys like that win would devalue goal scoring. It's like Perry, Chechoo or Hejduk winning all over again. :(

But guys like McDavid, Matthews and Laine fit better in win previous highly praised Rocket winners like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Bure, Selanne and Stamkos.
Yeah, they should add a goal tax on those guys and anyone not drafted top 10. Deduct .25 per goal so its 0.75 instead of 1. That way, if they score 60, it goes to a REAL goalscorer who scores 46.

Nah, just kidding. Your comment is straight up stupid

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I doubt Drai gets close to 50 again. Probably drop down to 30-35.

Him and McD will somehow get some help on the wings, and they'll be separated from each other due to the math of it.

Draisaitl putting on 100 points with McDavid pretty much gets us only 130-ish "Team" goals.
Separating them, where Draisaitl gets 75-80 points (McDavid getting 100) will get us somewhere closer to 150-ish "Team" goals.

They'll still be on the PP and OT together.

RNH on the third line getting 50 points will add an additional 30+ team goals.

This is all contingent on us being able to bring in 3-4 NHL quality wingers.

Reactions: Hippasus

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

How do you know that Point, DeBrincat, or those other guys won't develop into being among the top of the league in goal-scoring for the next few years? I mean, Draisaitl scored 50 on a bad team, if he scores 50+ in the next few years would that make it more acceptable?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
People say this every year. I think he has at least one more in him.

As do I. Until proven otherwise, he's the favorite. Depending on how goal scoring trends, I could see his goal total diminishing, yet still winning the Rocket due to perhaps a retraction of league-wide goals. Maybe something like 45+ goals wins it, who knows.

I think as long as Draisatl plays with McDavid, he has a great chance. He might not be as pure of a goal scorer as Laine or Ovechkin are. But as long as he's playing beside the best playmaker in the league, he'll always have a chance. He's also only 23, so while it might be his only 50 goal season thus far, he still have room to improve and build on it.

I don't see Matthews as a lock as others do. His highest goal scoring pace is 45 goals so 50 is within reach. So not only will he have to up his pace, he'll have to stay healthy for a full season. It's possible for him, but Ovechkin is about as much a lock as their is.

Reactions: Leafs87

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I'd give Ovi a ~40% chance of winning it next year, has the best track record for goalscoring over his peers in the history of the NHL, but age will catch up to him eventually, it's inevitable, the only question is when it will happen.

Outside of that, I would expect the other contenders to be Matthews, McDavid, Laine (if he can get his shit together), Pastrnak, and maybe even Stamkos.

Draisaitl will not shoot at 21.6% again, and will more than likely fall down to <17%

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Stats imply Matthews if healthy is the heir apparent but health remains an issue. On talent alone he is the clear favorite.

I would not discount Dra but as their team gets better he and McDavid may actually see their production go down a little, especially if they ever get the depth to separate them. Next year would probably be his best bet.

Laine? I'm not writing him off but he is in darkhorse territory these days. I want to see him bounce back but I don't know what the hell his problem is this year. Maybe it really is just video games?

JT and Crosby could both sneak in on a good year. Not natural choices though.

Stamkos/Kucherov could happen but not favorites like above. Goals are pretty well spread around with them.

McDavid. Hate to say anything good about him because Oiler fans usually make us regret it but I think at least one season he will score 50 just to prove he can, not unlike Crosby did.

Ovie. The great 8 ending with 8 is a poetic story but he may be too greedy to play along. Time is not on his side but how long have we been saying that? My gut says he is done winning rockets but only a fool discounts Ovie.

Someone unexpected? Lot's of young talent in the league

Fun topic, or it will be until the Matthews bashing starts.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
How do you know that Point, DeBrincat, or those other guys won't develop into being among the top of the league in goal-scoring for the next few years? I mean, Draisaitl scored 50 on a bad team, if he scores 50+ in the next few years would that make it more acceptable?
Point, DeBrincat and Atkinson were never supposed to be this good according to the hockey experts. And Draisaitl is basically the modern day Jari Kurri, mooching off of the best player in the League.

McDavid, Matthews and Laine were all supposed to be elite right out of the gate. Goal scoring will simply be more revered with guys like that winning the Rocket, instead of second tier guys like Point, DeBrincat, Atkinson or Draisaitl winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad