Who actually plays hockey on HF?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm 19, been playing since I was 14. Goalie in English division 2, the 4th tier of British senior hockey. Here is my Elite Prospects profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845 :)

One of the mods on the Rangers board was drafted by the Thrashers in the 7th round in 2001, and played NCAA for St. Lawrence then retired after graduating
Out of curiosity, are you from the UK originally, or did you move there to play pro hockey?

AndreD

Oct 24, 2010
London, UK
Been playing for a year, started when I went to university originally just late at night without kit and then with a rec team. Since the start of this season I've been playing on the universities (full contact) B team in the second division of british university league.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
I played Junior B briefly when I was 18, then nothing but men's league since. I'm playing in the current top league in Central Ohio now, but it's just a B league. No A league here anymore.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Started at the age of 3 so I'm going on year 23. Played high levels as a goalie and player but switched to player full-time when I got into my teens, played triple A and junior. Probably could have made it pretty far if scouts overlooked the fact that I was 5'10 180 lbs. Built like a truck but height, at that time, was everything. Didn't seem to matter whether you could actually play or not. Now I just play mens league/beer league and shinny.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm 19, been playing since I was 14. Goalie in English division 2, the 4th tier of British senior hockey. Here is my Elite Prospects profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845 :)

One of the mods on the Rangers board was drafted by the Thrashers in the 7th round in 2001, and played NCAA for St. Lawrence then retired after graduating

I'm sorry it just sounds so funny hearing British fourth tier hockey lol. That's cool though. I'm pretty sure Wade Belak played in England during the lockout. Before that I had no idea hockey was even played at even a semi-professional level there.

subban

Dec 2, 2009
NJ
began playing dek hockey in gym class in grade school. a little ice in high school. but mostly roller and street hockey in high school. now just mainly watch nhl on tv and go to a few ranger and devils games.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm sorry it just sounds so funny hearing British fourth tier hockey lol. That's cool though. I'm pretty sure Wade Belak played in England during the lockout. Before that I had no idea hockey was even played at even a semi-professional level there.

Wade Belak, Eric Cairns, Nick Boynton, Scott Nichol and Brendan Witt all played in the British Elite league during the lockout. Theo Fleury also played here in 05/06, he said he would never play here again due to the standard of the officiating, he racked up 270 penalty minutes in 34 games :laugh: The Elite league is considered a professional league now, with a similar standard to ECHL or Swedish Allsvenskan, but the standard is inflated by the amount of imports (max of 10 per team)

Considering my age, I've done well to make it to the 4th tier as a goalie. Juniors only go up to U18's so you get thrown straight in against adults. Only 3 of the starting goalies in the Elite League are actually British and in the 2nd/3rd tier all the starters are experienced and established goalies. So as a teenage goalie either you warm the bench at a higher level or play 4th tier, unless you're an exceptional talent

anonFOX

Dec 14, 2011
jumped in feet first at the age of 9, the 'rents got me into the local house league. It went on like this til about 12 when I made the travel team and did that for a bit. My freshman year of HS I made the JV team and lead in assists (career achievement!) as a Dman.

Played another year there but then lost interest in hockey for the most part around junior year. I did make my varsity squad but I wasn't very interested.

Gave up hockey for a long time until my early 20's when I joined a beer league with friends. Still though I wasn't all about it.

I immigrated to Canada and now I'm a die-hard pondhockey rat logging 10hrs a week!

Currently looking to join an organized league right now...

fuzzerson

¡Ãndele!
Jul 23, 2005
Started playing at 33 (although I played football and ran track in college). Now 53 been playing since.

Nov 12, 2010
Started at 6 playing goalie and I was actually pretty good. Broke my leg horsing around with my brother at 10 and had to quit until I was 14 and I chose to be a skater because of my ****ing massive build (6'3" 160)

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
Been skating since I was 6. Started playing house league when I was in my early teens. Started back playing at 38 years old. Now I play beer league once a week and pick up one or two times. I love hockey! One of the best sports to play later in life as it's not too hard on the knees.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
been playing since I was six, but I'll probably have to quit after this year.

Sorry to hear that. May I recommend going to see a different doctor? Joints can be replaced, you know.

Seriously, there was a guy down here who died in his 80's while still playing in the B league. Somebody asked him how he did it, and his response was that the trick was to just never stop. I know a couple who are in their 60s, albeit in low C.

Last edited:

edgevolution

GO USA!
Apr 7, 2010
State of Hockey
Wade Belak, Eric Cairns, Nick Boynton, Scott Nichol and Brendan Witt all played in the British Elite league during the lockout. Theo Fleury also played here in 05/06, he said he would never play here again due to the standard of the officiating, he racked up 270 penalty minutes in 34 games :laugh: The Elite league is considered a professional league now, with a similar standard to ECHL or Swedish Allsvenskan, but the standard is inflated by the amount of imports (max of 10 per team)

Considering my age, I've done well to make it to the 4th tier as a goalie. Juniors only go up to U18's so you get thrown straight in against adults. Only 3 of the starting goalies in the Elite League are actually British and in the 2nd/3rd tier all the starters are experienced and established goalies. So as a teenage goalie either you warm the bench at a higher level or play 4th tier, unless you're an exceptional talent
Do you really make any money, or is it more just for fun? It's cool that you made it!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Do you really make any money, or is it more just for fun? It's cool that you made it!

No I play for fun, all the money I make from being a ref goes towards playing, everyone in my league pays to play. In the 3rd level most players get expenses, some get paid, imports and players who aren't local get put in a house together. 2nd Level is semi-pro, everyone gets paid but almost all of the British guys have another job. The Elite League is fully professional.

I'm just happy to be playing competitive league hockey at my age since most play recreational hockey when they finish juniors, I'd like to get to the point where I'm not paying to play anymore and have a decent career

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
This tread makes me want to play againg.

Quit when I was 17 before that I had played since I was four years old. Had a ugly season when I steped up and started to play for the u18 team when I was 16, broke my collarbone and when I was back i snapped my foot. Kind of lose all my motivation after that and just quit. Worst decision in my life.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad