NFL: Who’s the Top 5 Worst Starting QB’s Right Now?

member 157595

I always have a problem with lists like this because I'm of the camp that young QB's shouldn't be forced to play early on bad teams unless they are absolutely ready, and a bunch of the guys on this list fit that description.

Darnold, for example, is saddled with one of the worst coaches and supporting casts in NFL history, so it's hard to judge him too harshly. He's undoubtedly regressed and definitely isn't playing well enough but what QB is going to play well on that ass-fisting of a team? I hope he's Ryan Tannehill Part II but who knows. The only thing I know is that it's not going to happen for him as a Jet.

Haskins has the arm talent IMO but everything that is coming out news-wise from WFT indicates he's a clusterf*** in the locker room. He would have been perfect in a situation similar to what Jordan Love is in in GB, where you have a long time to gradually learn under a brilliant mind at the position.

Trubisky was overdrafted, thrown in too early in an effort to make a splash for the Bears front office and failed miserably. I want to say that I can't imagine him ever starting again but that would be a lie due to some of the crap you see under center across the league for a myriad of reasons.

Jones isn't horrible but man oh man does he turn the ball over a lot. The Giants' defense isn't the worst in the league but they're not good enough to handle being put in a short field so often. Much like Darnold, he'll be scapegoated if his team gets the #1 pick. I think he could at least put together an Andy Dalton-like career somewhere though.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I actually like Darnold. Kid has talent, brains and a good arm. And can scramble nicely when needed.

He's just stuck with Gase as his coach. That's why he looks so bad. You put Darnold on the Patriots today and he looks like a million bucks

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trubisky was overdrafted, thrown in too early in an effort to make a splash for the Bears front office and failed miserably. I want to say that I can't imagine him ever starting again but that would be a lie due to some of the crap you see under center across the league for a myriad of reasons. .

BS

The
Shitty
Bears GM brought in a
Shitty QB
to play QB so they wouldn't be forced to rush
Shitty
Trubisky

member 157595

I actually like Darnold. Kid has talent, brains and a good arm. And can scramble nicely when needed.

He's just stuck with Gase as his coach. That's why he looks so bad. You put Darnold on the Patriots today and he looks like a million bucks

I agree. Picking up Darnold on the cheap has BB written all over it if Cam doesn't get re-signed.

Getting hypothetically creamed by a Sam Darnold-led Patriots team would be the most Jets thing that has ever happened.

Reactions: donghabs98

member 157595

BS

The
Shitty
Bears GM brought in a
Shitty QB
to play QB so they wouldn't be forced to rush
Shitty
Trubisky

Yes, but if you bring in a shitty stopgap that's not really a proper stopgap in the first place, is it? To me, that's not being prepared to let a QB learn, which is what I was getting at.

Trading up to pick Trubisky is definitely a splash move that the GM places his job security on.

EDIT: I realize now you may think I'm making excuses for Trubisky, and that's not what I intended. He was overdrafted and I've never been high on him. I think he was put into better situations than Darnold, Jones or Haskins and he still f***ed it up. I think he could have conceivably been a starting QB with the right development situation but I would be ready to move on from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree. Picking up Darnold on the cheap has BB written all over it if Cam doesn't get re-signed.

Getting hypothetically creamed by a Sam Darnold-led Patriots team would be the most Jets thing that has ever happened.

I prefer Cam for sure, but if he prices himself out of town I hope Belichick brings Darnold in.

Hey, it worked with Revis

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I always have a problem with lists like this because I'm of the camp that young QB's shouldn't be forced to play early on bad teams unless they are absolutely ready, and a bunch of the guys on this list fit that description.

Darnold, for example, is saddled with one of the worst coaches and supporting casts in NFL history, so it's hard to judge him too harshly. He's undoubtedly regressed and definitely isn't playing well enough but what QB is going to play well on that ass-fisting of a team? I hope he's Ryan Tannehill Part II but who knows. The only thing I know is that it's not going to happen for him as a Jet.

Haskins has the arm talent IMO but everything that is coming out news-wise from WFT indicates he's a clusterf*** in the locker room. He would have been perfect in a situation similar to what Jordan Love is in in GB, where you have a long time to gradually learn under a brilliant mind at the position.

Trubisky was overdrafted, thrown in too early in an effort to make a splash for the Bears front office and failed miserably. I want to say that I can't imagine him ever starting again but that would be a lie due to some of the crap you see under center across the league for a myriad of reasons.

Jones isn't horrible but man oh man does he turn the ball over a lot. The Giants' defense isn't the worst in the league but they're not good enough to handle being put in a short field so often. Much like Darnold, he'll be scapegoated if his team gets the #1 pick. I think he could at least put together an Andy Dalton-like career somewhere though.
I think the thing is there's no way to know whether a guy would be better if he had waited to start or whether a team keeping a guy on the bench for a couple of years isn't actually just wasting a couple of years where he could have contributed.

member 157595

I think the thing is there's no way to know whether a guy would be better if he had waited to start or whether a team keeping a guy on the bench for a couple of years isn't actually just wasting a couple of years where he could have contributed.

I don't necessarily disagree.

I think the decision gets easier the better a football team you have. If you have a football team with a solid foundation to some degree and you have a QB prospect with polish you may want to play him early to maximize his rookie contract years. If you're a completely hopeless franchise and you have a raw QB with exceptional physical tools, playing him early may not be the best route unless you have no other choice.

Trubisky and Haskins, for example, did not have a ton of starting experience in college before they were drafted, and both were projects in my opinion. Trevor Lawrence is not a project and will start immediately, but if you're going to pick a guy like that and play him out of the gate you need to invest heavily to give him the protection, weapons and coaching he needs to develop and succeed. It's why I'm worried about Burrow in Cincinnati, the Bengals are going to get him killed if they cheap out on protection like they've done so many times in the past, and I think Burrow is a great prospect.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Haskins/Allen
Jones
Lock
Minshew
Rivers

I don't like doing this though because I feel like it mostly just punishes young guys who haven't had their moments yet. I would put Darnold on there but I think he's more of a product of the stank around him than being bad. Rivers is the only vet on here, but he looks done. Dalton is top-5 bad, but he's a injury replacement.

Reactions: OmniCube

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I al

Trushitsky should have never been drafted anywhere close to top 5. It actually amazes me that the Bears brain trust sat down and said "hes better than that Watson or Mahomes kid" . Hell, he only had a single nondescript year as a college starting QB.

:facepalm: :laugh:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
1. Daniel Jones

3. Dwayne Haskins

Agree on Haskins, although I'm not sure what his current starter status is (?).. and even setting aside his current struggles, I feel like Haskins has the least potential (moving forward) of the young QBs.
Disagree on Jones, watched him play a couple times last season. I was impressed by how accurate & composed he was under (intense) pressure. He's in a terrible situation, on a terrible team. Hope his supporting cast & staff improve, but time will tell.
I don't think Bridgewater is too bad, but if we're picking the least effective starters, on a relative scale, he's in my bottom 2 or 3..

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Haskins/Allen
Jones
Lock
Minshew
Rivers

I don't like doing this though because I feel like it mostly just punishes young guys who haven't had their moments yet. I would put Darnold on there but I think he's more of a product of the stank around him than being bad. Rivers is the only vet on here, but he looks done. Dalton is top-5 bad, but he's a injury replacement.
Lock's only bad game was that snow game in KC. He needs a more aggressive offense though that actually uses his strengths.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Trushitsky should have never been drafted anywhere close to top 5. It actually amazes me that the Bears brain trust sat down and said "hes better than that Watson or Mahomes kid" . Hell, he only had a single nondescript year as a college starting QB.

:facepalm: :laugh:

This is a tired, repetitive narrative put forth by the media. Framing it as Watson was the wisest decision in recent draft history, and Trubisky was the worse.. but the gap between the QBs isn't that dramatic. Trubisky is 26-18 as a starter, Watson is 25-17. Neither guy is winning rings yet either. Watson averages a couple more rushing & passing TDs a year. But the difference isn't dramatic, other than the media exclaiming it over and over (to advance a pro-Watson narrative). Mahomes' situation is different, he has been exceptional..

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is a tired, repetitive narrative put forth by the media. Framing it as Watson was the wisest decision in recent draft history, and Trubisky was the worse.. but the gap between the QBs isn't that dramatic. Trubisky is 26-18 as a starter, Watson is 25-17. Neither guy is winning rings yet either. Watson averages a couple more rushing & passing TDs a year. But the difference isn't dramatic, other than the media exclaiming it over and over (to advance a pro-Watson narrative). Mahomes' situation is different, he has been exceptional..

Watson is significantly better than Trubisky. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. There isn't some made up media bias for Watson, he was fantastic in college and was an easy choice at 2. He's also developed into an upper tier QB, as most expected.

There is a reason why many include Watson in the tier below Mahomes (league of his own) in terms of future QBs.

Reactions: OmniCube

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Watson is significantly better than Trubisky. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. There isn't some made up media bias for Watson, he was fantastic in college and was an easy choice at 2. He's also developed into an upper tier QB, as most expected.

There is a reason why many include Watson in the tier below Mahomes (league of his own) in terms of future QBs.
While reading my head was stuck on Winston , I was ready to tear this post apart .:laugh:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Hindsight is 20/20 of course and I am by no means trying to defend Mitch but a lot of places had him rated the top QB, him being the 1st QB drafted was more than reasonable, it just has turned out poorly for the Bears

2017 NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterbacks
Mitch 1st, Watson 2nd, Mahomes 3rd

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...011917-011917-011917-011917-011917-011917-011

Mitch 1st, Kizer 2nd, Watson 3rd, Peterman 4th, Mahomes 8th

2017 NFL Draft: Trubisky leads QB class lacking elite talent

Mitch, Watson, Mahomes, Peterman

Ranking the top-10 quarterback prospects in the 2017 NFL draft
Kizer 1st, Mitch 2nd, Watson 3rd, Mahomes 6th

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/24/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings

Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, Mitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad