NFL: Who’s the Top 5 Worst Starting QB’s Right Now?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Look at who he is throwing to and who is blocking for him. He needs to be much better, but he isnt bottom 5 to me.

Wentz has been really, really bad this season. I wouldn’t say he’s bottom 5 in talent, but he’s playing like a bottom 5 QB this season.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Wentz has been really, really bad this season. I wouldn’t say he’s bottom 5 in talent, but he’s playing like a bottom 5 QB this season.

I agree to a certain extent. Some throws he looks lost and makes dumb mistakes (sacks and interceptions), but then he makes these incredible throws. Just too inconsistent and it is so frustrating. Though his offensive line and wide receivers dont help him much, and Ertz is playing like a clown :laugh:.

member 157595

Trushitsky should have never been drafted anywhere close to top 5. It actually amazes me that the Bears brain trust sat down and said "hes better than that Watson or Mahomes kid" . Hell, he only had a single nondescript year as a college starting QB.

:facepalm: :laugh:

I don't like overdrafting a player unless your scouts are 1) possessing an excellent track record, and 2) really, really confident in the player.

Even if Trubisky was the highest-rated QB in the draft (which is a big if) he certainly wasn't #2 overall good.

This is a tired, repetitive narrative put forth by the media. Framing it as Watson was the wisest decision in recent draft history, and Trubisky was the worse.. but the gap between the QBs isn't that dramatic. Trubisky is 26-18 as a starter, Watson is 25-17. Neither guy is winning rings yet either. Watson averages a couple more rushing & passing TDs a year. But the difference isn't dramatic, other than the media exclaiming it over and over (to advance a pro-Watson narrative). Mahomes' situation is different, he has been exceptional..

Mitch Trubisky isn't fit to tie DeShawn Watson's cleats at this stage.

Looking at win-loss record alone...all I have to say to that is that Trent Dilfer has more Super Bowl rings than Dan Marino. Who was the better QB?

Hindsight is 20/20 of course and I am by no means trying to defend Mitch but a lot of places had him rated the top QB, him being the 1st QB drafted was more than reasonable, it just has turned out poorly for the Bears

2017 NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterbacks
Mitch 1st, Watson 2nd, Mahomes 3rd

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...011917-011917-011917-011917-011917-011917-011

Mitch 1st, Kizer 2nd, Watson 3rd, Peterman 4th, Mahomes 8th

2017 NFL Draft: Trubisky leads QB class lacking elite talent

Mitch, Watson, Mahomes, Peterman

Ranking the top-10 quarterback prospects in the 2017 NFL draft
Kizer 1st, Mitch 2nd, Watson 3rd, Mahomes 6th

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/24/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings

Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, Mitch

Well I owe @Filthy Dangles an apology, because I stand corrected re: me not remembering media outlets having Trubisky rated so highly. What were they thinking?

Bears gambled, and they lost the gamble. With what they gave up, they better have been right...and they weren't.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't even recall 2017 being a big QB year. Seemed like it was the Garrett show all year. Watson for example was in the midst of a great college year, then had that huge CFP-winning game yet still wasn't talked about a lot. (compared to the next year with Baker/Darnold/Allen/Rosen etc)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I actually like Darnold. Kid has talent, brains and a good arm. And can scramble nicely when needed.

He's just stuck with Gase as his coach. That's why he looks so bad. You put Darnold on the Patriots today and he looks like a million bucks
No way Darnold is the worst. He is clearly not the best but he has the worst group of receivers in the league, the worst coaching staff in the league and below average protection.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I don't think Bridgewater is too bad, but if we're picking the least effective starters, on a relative scale, he's in my bottom 2 or 3..

Forgive me for quoting my own post.. just reasserting my opinion that Bridgewater (who has basically gone otherwise unmentioned) belongs on this list.
In a loss to a struggling Falcons team, Bridgewater threw for 176, 1 TD & 1 pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Forgive me for quoting my own post.. just reasserting my opinion that Bridgewater (who has basically gone otherwise unmentioned) belongs on this list.
In a loss to a struggling Falcons team, Bridgewater threw for 176, 1 TD & 1 pick.
He’s not a high-volume QB but before the Saints game and I imagine was true after, but the Panthers were on pace for their highest total offense in their history and were doing that largely without McCaffery

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
1. Haskins
He's a project QB that got overdrafted because of a terrible owner. Bad QB on the field, and apparently not a very good one off of it, double whammy.

2. Trubisky
I think he had the potential to be a mid-tier dual-threat QB if everything went well, but again another overdrafted player who just isn't good at his job.

3. Newton
This one sucks to say cause he has had a good performance this season, and most of his decline isn't on him, but based on what I've seen the previous two weeks he simply can't do it anymore. His shoulder is likely f***ed for good......but I'd still rather have him in there than the first two on the list.

4. Jones
Unlike the top two, I do think Jones is salvageable. He makes good plays every game I've seen, but he makes just as many head-scratchers. Another over-drafted QB who doesn't scream top-15.

5. Darnold
He's regressed into a bad quarterback, no question about it. His trajectory has been butchered more than any other QB I've seen in recent memory, but while there could be something good remaining, one can only take so much devastation before they crumble.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It depends on how you look at drafting, QB's often get overdrafted, but if he's your guy then he's your guy and that's worth reaching for at QB. And I liked Haskins, but he was drafted by a coach who was then fired and the new staff obviously didn't believe in him and isn't their problem as a failure. But it's also a huge risk when you take guys like him and Trubisky and draft them on tools in lieu of experience.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
1. Haskins
He's a project QB that got overdrafted because of a terrible owner. Bad QB who on the field, and apparently not a very good one off of it, double whammy.

2. Trubisky
I think he had the potential to be a mid-tier dual-threat QB if everything went well, but again another overdrafted player who just isn't good at his job.

3. Newton
This one sucks to say cause he has had a good performance this season, and most of his decline isn't on him, but based on what I've seen the previous two weeks he simply can't do it anymore. His shoulder is likely f***ed for good......but I'd still rather have him in there than the first two on the list.

4. Jones
Unlike the top two, I do think Jones is salvageable. He makes good plays every game I've seen, but he makes just as many head-scratchers. Another over-drafted QB who doesn't scream top-15.

5. Darnold
He's regressed into a bad quarterback, no question about it. His trajectory has been butchered more than any other QB I've seen in recent memory, but while there could be something good remaining, one can only take so much devastation before they crumble.

the Newton one is sad because he's a guy you want to see do well. He was probably never going to duplicate his MVP season but he was still a solid QB. After watching that Niners game though? His shoulder is shot. Lots of really ugly lawn dart throws and the ball looked like it would just float on him if he tried to throw anything other than short. Sucks, really.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It depends on how you look at drafting, QB's often get overdrafted, but if he's your guy then he's your guy and that's worth reaching for at QB. And I liked Haskins, but he was drafted by a coach who was then fired and the new staff obviously didn't believe in him and isn't their problem as a failure. But it's also a huge risk when you take guys like him and Trubisky and draft them on tools in lieu of experience.

I agree with your assessment, though from what I understand it wasn't even the coach who wanted him, was 100% a Snyder move. That's where I think he got overdrafted.

And yeah, drafting a QB with a first round pick with one year of starting experience is always an iffy proposition.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with your assessment, though from what I understand it wasn't even the coach who wanted him, was 100% a Snyder move. That's where I think he got overdrafted.

And yeah, drafting a QB with a first round pick with one year of starting experience is always an iffy proposition.
It was definitely a Snyder call, they had also just lost Alex Smith. You can’t develop a project QB in that kind of environment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Trubisky, Haskins, Sanchez all the same in that boat as 1 year college starters.

Plus makes little sense to draft a QB unless you are certain that your HC will be your guy for the foreseeable future.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Trubisky, Haskins, Sanchez all the same in that boat as 1 year college starters.

Plus makes little sense to draft a QB unless you are certain that your HC will be your guy for the foreseeable future.

I think this is especially true of said QB doesn't have escapability to their game. Someone like Kyler Murray can extend plays as he gets settled in and learns more, plus he was clearly a more intriguing prospect overall (and actually did see a decent amount of action before his true starting year).

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Seeing some Darnold hate here but I would take him in a heartbeat to backup Brady for next year then take over 2022 as a starter after learning behind Tom. I think Sam’s got so much talent but his team is just garbage.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry but Darnold should be Chicago bound when Jets move on

I will settle for Jones since Giants are about to change GM's it appears so Jones likely wont be guy going forward

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
the Newton one is sad because he's a guy you want to see do well..

Not really (speaking for myself). I haven't rooted against him but always found the Newton hype aggrevating. From the jump he wasn't an accurate passer and being a physical runner is not a long term strength for NFL quarterbacking. I think Newton's career has been exactly to it's potential. No championships (to date), and essentially the shelf life of a running back. Newton was another so-called dual threat that the media was desperately hoping would revolutionize the game & displace pocket passers.. Even as an obnoxious competitor, Newton has had a disproportionate amount of corporate endorsements (Gatorade, Beats, Under Armour, Dannon yogurt) so I don't view his career as an empathetic tragedy. He's done well, but generously overrated by a fawning media and corporate entities.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Over the last 3 games, I think sCam has cemented his status as a bottom 5 starter. 84 passing yards vs Cards, 69 passing yards vs Chargers, and 119 passing yards vs Rams.. currently sitting on the bench, late 4th quarter. Over the same span 1 pass TD with 3 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad