News Article: Whitney: “Looking back, having a letter on my sweater, it really was unacceptable."

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I never watched Whitney at 100%, how good can he be and where would you rank him approx among the D in the league (hypothetical position 20th, 30th etc)?

He was our best player by far 2 years ago. Great outlet passer, eats minutes, controls the pace of the game.

I don't think he can ever get back to that, but he has to be better than last year. Glad he recognizes.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was our best player by far 2 years ago. Great outlet passer, eats minutes, controls the pace of the game.

I don't think he can ever get back to that, but he has to be better than last year. Glad he recognizes.

He played and controlled the game in a very similar fashion to Pronger. Not saying he was that good as Pronger was better in every aspect of the game except the stretch/outlet pass.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Whitney was awful last season. Yes he was coming off an injury and it showed. He was a contributor to the team's downfall last year and if he doesn't show improvement I bet he will be gone.

SchultzSquared*

Whitney is one of those guys who so he goes so the team goes. Schultz too and Yakupov (for scoring depth). I want to see him do good but I think he needs to be treated like a bottom pairing defenseman because he played like one last year. If he does better great we probably make the playoffs. If not Hello MacKinnon or Jones.

McEwen

Oct 19, 2009
Whitney is one of those guys who so he goes so the team goes. Schultz too and Yakupov (for scoring depth). I want to see him do good but I think he needs to be treated like a bottom pairing defenseman because he played like one last year. If he does better great we probably make the playoffs. If not Hello MacKinnon or Jones.

I don't think we'll be that bad. But I do think we will be bad enough to nab someone like Nurse this year. Helllllloooooo Nurse!

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Well would a 90% Whitney still be a no.1 D?

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
That's very encouraging, about Krueger. It gives a very good feeling that he will manage the off ice aspect of the team much better than Renney.

I don't know about Whitney, will have to wait and see. I never like his demeanor but he is a good offensive dman when healthy. If he can play close to 100% healthy, with the addition of Justin Schultz, a steady Nick Schultz, a more mature pair of Smid and Petry, our defense actually improves by leaps and bounds over last year. Like from one of the worst to actually mid-pack.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Is "Rolly" referring to Ralph Krueger?

Who is moma2?

moma2 is the guy from the official oilers message boards.
I believe he was banned for posting an essay length reply every time he posted.

Good information, but only if you have the patience to read it all.

Also, i'm curious as well. Who's rolly?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Essay length like BadMedicine? Coincidence? I think not.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
That's very encouraging, about Krueger. It gives a very good feeling that he will manage the off ice aspect of the team much better than Renney.

I don't know about Whitney, will have to wait and see. I never like his demeanor but he is a good offensive dman when healthy. If he can play close to 100% healthy, with the addition of Justin Schultz, a steady Nick Schultz, a more mature pair of Smid and Petry, our defense actually improves by leaps and bounds over last year. Like from one of the worst to actually mid-pack.
Me neither...maybe its his twitter account.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

I seriously doubt anyone gets banned for that. Then again, I never ventured onto the Oilers message board so maybe ....

It seems pretty clear that this poster forgot what handle he was posting under and called himself moma2 by mistake. They tell me the mods watch out for that sort of thing.

Rolly appears to be his own personal nickname for Ralph Krueger. Don't you find it nice when we all make up nicknames for the players and coaches like we were bff?

So far Bad Medicine's posts are comic gold (especially the stuff about what a star MPS is) I hope he keeps posting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If we can get 40 points and a + out of Whitney it would be huge.

40 is gonna be tough with Schultz stealing his pp time though.

I just hope he can play healthy and contribute in some way and not be someone that is just fighting out there trying to just not hurt us.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Rolly appears to be his own personal nickname for Ralph Krueger. Don't you find it nice when we all make up nicknames for the players and coaches like we were bff?

So far Bad Medicine's posts are comic gold (especially the stuff about what a star MPS is) I hope he keeps posting.

I hate Draft threads on here, with posters throwing out nicknames for players whom they've probably never seen play. Grigs, Gally, Hops, Landy, etc. Just...ugh.

As for his posts, if anyone wants to throw up a TLDR summation...

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Our #2 PP is going to be scary good this year.

Eberle-RNH-Hall
J.Schultz-Petry

Hemsky-Gagner-Smyth
Whitney-Yakupov

That second unit is better than most #1 units we've had in the past 7 years.

take petry out and slot in harti or horcoff for a net presence and your good, pp 1 has no guy to screen the goalie

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I never watched Whitney at 100%, how good can he be and where would you rank him approx among the D in the league (hypothetical position 20th, 30th etc)?

ryan whitneys first pass is comparable to prime prongers, they are always accurate and quick. if we choose to play a quick pass/attack offensive transition game it wouldnt be a surprise to see whitney hit 30pts in 48 games

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
So first it was Peckham saying he took a look in the mirror and found out what he needed to do, and now Whitney challenging himself to be better.

The Oilers might be poised for something. And I think Krueger is both the right man for the job and will have the right impact on this team.

Don't wnat to be the Debbie Downer here but we hear this kind of crap all off season leading up to every season. So and so has been working on this and is in the best shape of their life and so and so feels the best they ever have in regards to past injuries.

I'll believe they've turneed a corner when they actually start showing results on the ice. Otherwise it's all lip service feeding the media ears right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad