News Article: Whitney: “Looking back, having a letter on my sweater, it really was unacceptable."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't wnat to be the Debbie Downer here but we hear this kind of crap all off season leading up to every season. So and so has been working on this and is in the best shape of their life and so and so feels the best they ever have in regards to past injuries.

I'll believe they've turneed a corner when they actually start showing results on the ice. Otherwise it's all lip service feeding the media ears right now.

Pretty much.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Whitney basically admitting he had a bad attitude last year and that there was much more to his horrible play last year then just an ankle injury. Like lets see, playing like he didn't give a **** all season.

I'm supposed to cheer Whitney for taking a complete season off? Why?

Last edited by a moderator:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think there was probably more ego and entitlement from the vets in the dressing room than we think. For a franchise transitioning from a reliance on vets to a youth movement.. that would only be natural when you think about it.

I'm not even picking on anyone in particular, but guys like Horcoff, Smyth, Hemsky, Whitney etc would all have to realize their roles have changed somewhat and adapting to that more support-role mentally takes some time.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Whitney basically admitting he had a bad attitude last year and that there was much more to his horrible play last year then just an ankle injury. Like lets see, playing like he didn't give a **** all season.

No need to cheer him for taking a season off, but you can always give credit where it's due when he owns up to it.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.

You would have preferred him not come clean then? Takes a real good man to admitt what he did. Pot calling a kettle black. Hmmmm:shakehead

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
No need to cheer him for taking a season off, but you can always give credit where it's due when he owns up to it.

It's lip service if that impresses then fill your boots. I'll reserve judgement until there are results on the ice.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
It's lip service if that impresses then fill your boots. I'll reserve judgement until there are results on the ice.

If Whitney sucks this season it isn't necessarily because of a bad attitude.

Of course we'll have to see what the coming season looks like, but it's encouraging to see a player admitting he could and should have had a different outlook.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You would have preferred him not come clean then? Takes a real good man to admitt what he did. Pot calling a kettle black. Hmmmm:shakehead

No I would prefer him actually playing to his ability as a pro player over the course of a complete season and not mailing in one whole year because he was a cottonheaded ninny muggins

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If Whitney sucks this season it isn't necessarily because of a bad attitude.

Of course we'll have to see what the coming season looks like, but it's encouraging to see a player admitting he could and should have had a different outlook.

Ben ****ing Eager is saying pretty much the same thing. Its hardly encouraging and speaks to how many losers we still have in this lineup that need coddling and everything going their way so that they'll grace us with some modicum of performance.

If we want rid of losing culture get rid of loser pro players that think its completely fine to play lousy all year then just explain it away the next..

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
No I would prefer him actually playing to his ability as a pro player over the course of a complete season and not mailing in one whole year because he was an cottonheaded ninny muggins.

Geez!!! I wouldn't want to be one of your off spring that came an apologized for not living up to your expectations. GTO of here you ungrateful SWINE! Really? I don't think so.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Good for Ralph. He's one of those guys that's such a good guy that you can't BS him face to face. I hope Ralph ripped all of those vets good at the end of last year. They have all been junk once there was nothing to play for the past few years. Win and everyone's happy, lose and it's everybody else's fault. When you have enough money winning is the only thing that feels good. That's what they're teaching the kids.

I remember a year or two ago Don Cherry mentioning that Edmonton needs to turn it around and for the kids to watch out for developing a losing attitude. This is how teams get stuck in the mud forever. We might be on our way to becoming the next Penguins or Hawks but could just as easily turn the corner into Islander and Leafs land.

I hope this team doesn't fold after the first 3 or 4 losser this season. No time for that. I'm with others in the I'll believe it when I see it camp. Enough talking, time to walk. And Whitney still isn't that great at the D part of Defenseman, even when he decides to turn it on. Interesting for Whitney to divulge all that. The guys really like Gregor, they would never serve that up for Jones or Matty. Hope those comments don't come back to haunt Whitney when it's time to hit the open market.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I actually agree with this. And if it was Horcoff saying that he took last year off because he was upset about PP time, I guarantee the reaction here would be completely different.

Someone here in another thread actually assumed Horcoff was demanding more PP time last year. Well here's a guy who actually did, and apparently it's not a big deal.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I actually agree with this. And if it was Horcoff saying that he took last year off because he was upset about PP time, I guarantee the reaction here would be completely different.

Someone here in another thread actually assumed Horcoff was demanding more PP time last year. Well here's a guy who actually did, and apparently it's not a big deal.

Where did Whitney say that he 'took the year off' ... wow you guys..
He just said that he was sulking and was down last season when he couldve been more positive.
If he wanted he couldve just blamed eveything to his bad foot and just had to be marginally better than last year to stay away from the wrath of media and fans. Instead he owned up and has now increased expectations.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Where did Whitney say that he 'took the year off' ... wow you guys..
He just said that he was sulking and was down last season when he couldve been more positive.
If he wanted he couldve just blamed eveything to his bad foot and just had to be marginally better than last year to stay away from the wrath of media and fans. Instead he owned up and has now increased expectations.

You were the one who said the thing about Horcoff. It's nice that he owned up to it, but you know what would've been nicer? If he hadn't started sulking in the first place, and realized that the top PP in the league probably wouldn't improve that much with his presence.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

it is the opposite of lip service.. The guy just raised the expectations from him ten fold. He should have just kept quiet because the rabid fans cant digest honesty.

How dare he not give his 100% as a professional. We own his ass because we watch games on free streams and buy pirated Oilers product.. He has no right to sulk as a professional just like how we never sulk at our work and are always giving our employer 100%.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
it is the opposite of lip service.. The guy just raised the expectations from him ten fold. He should have just kept quiet because the rabid fans cant digest honesty.

How dare he not give his 100% as a professional. We own his ass because we watch games on free streams and buy pirated Oilers product.. He has no right to sulk as a professional just like how we never sulk at our work and are always giving our employer 100%.

All I'm saying is I expect the same standards for Horcoff then.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
You were the one who said the thing about Horcoff. It's nice that he owned up to it, but you know what would've been nicer? If he hadn't started sulking in the first place, and realized that the top PP in the league probably wouldn't improve that much with his presence.

dont disagree with what your saying but atleast he is man'ing up to it. The guy put up great stats and wore an A.. Wanting to be on the top PP unit is reasonable expectation if his foot was good. Being open about it sends the right message to the kids..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
All I'm saying is I expect the same standards for Horcoff then.

well Horc needs to man up especially as a captain. He still considers himself a #2C who should be playing 20mins nightly including prime PP time.
The guy is a combined -53 the last 3 seasons averaging about 32pts\season with 1/3 on PP.

If he can admit in an interview why his production dropped and how can he improve himself then I would apply the same standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad