News Article: Whitney: “Looking back, having a letter on my sweater, it really was unacceptable."

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually agree with this. And if it was Horcoff saying that he took last year off because he was upset about PP time, I guarantee the reaction here would be completely different.

Someone here in another thread actually assumed Horcoff was demanding more PP time last year. Well here's a guy who actually did, and apparently it's not a big deal.
Exactly. Double standards in action. Whitney is flat out stating it. But all is immediately forgiven.

Where did Whitney say that he 'took the year off' ... wow you guys..
He just said that he was sulking and was down last season when he couldve been more positive.
If he wanted he couldve just blamed everything to his bad foot and just had to be marginally better than last year to stay away from the wrath of media and fans. Instead he owned up and has now increased expectations.

"Just"? He's a professional athlete getting paid millions of bucks to play a sport most of us love for free. He's sulking? Admitting that, and its no concern to you what goes on in his head? Whitney is a grade A casestudy in attitudes we shouldn't be having here. Mess would've cornered this guy in the dressingroom and ask him WTF his problem was.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Typical. If someone appologizes to you, you wouldn't accept said apology because you need to be even more confrontational.

Nothing of the sort. From regular people I accept apologies and give them out.

But when someone engages in an oft used excuse for unprofessional conduct and even finds time to throw the past coach under the bench like Eager or Whitney in doing so, I start casting a suspicious eye.

Call me curmudgeon, but don't call me late for chicken dinner.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Nothing of the sort. From regular people I accept apologies and give them out.

But when someone engages in an oft used excuse for unprofessional conduct and even finds time to throw the past coach under the bench like Eager or Whitney in doing so, I start casting a suspicious eye.

Call me curmudgeon, but don't call me late for chicken dinner.

Annnndd, there's your sign! :D

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Exactly. Double standards in action. Whitney is flat out stating it. But all is immediately forgiven.

"Just"? He's a professional athlete getting paid millions of bucks to play a sport most of us love for free. He's sulking? Admitting that, and its no concern to you what goes on in his head? Whitney is a grade A casestudy in attitudes we shouldn't be having here. Mess would've cornered this guy in the dressingroom and ask him WTF his problem was.

The guy was playing on a bad foot and getting beaten left and right due to it. When you drop from a +10 season to a -13 stat the frustration will settle in.. He was suppose to stay positive instead of sulking which he admittedly didnt not do. Just because these guys get millions of dollars does not mean they would be performing at 100% everynight.. If that was the case all players would be over a PPG and all goalies would be posting shutouts ...

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Whitney was garbage on the PP last year. I'd be okay with him starting on one of the PP units this season but if he sucks again, take him off.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Good read.

I think we can all agree that both Ralph and Ryan will play a huge part in the teams success, this year and going forward. I'm pretty stoked we have Krueger behind the bench.

If only we had someone like him behind the bench last season...

In all seriousness I've been hoping to see Whitney return to form for a while now. It would be huge for us. (Until his contarct is up at least)

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
There's a big difference between being an assistant coach and the head coach. The boss.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to wonder if Whitney opened up to Gregor about all that stuff because he knew he wasn't getting an A this year and he didnt want people speculating about it or wanted to get his side out.

I don't think Ryan Whitney is long for the Oilers world unless he really turns it around or takes way less money. A younger, healthier version of him with a seemingly better attitude has fallen into our lap and we could use Whitney money on a true #2 shutdown d that can also chip in a bit offensively. Like sheldon souray things kinda went off the rails for him here a little bit. mostly due to injury.

There always seems to be this lingering bitterness about him about being traded off penguins island right before they won the cup. They drafted him, brought him up and he seemed shocked and really made no attempt to give it a solid go in anaheim.he speaks about that penguins team endearingly like someone who cant let go of an old ex.

Plus i think someone will offer him way too much money at ufa time. or maybe he'll take a lot less to go to the penguins or a contender. i dont think his legs.have much more left in them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad