OT: Whitey Bulger was at Game 7 in Vancouver

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah man! #freejahar

In serious though if this is the type of person you respect, you're ****ed in the head.

Hey, I hate that guys post as much as anyone.

But lots of people love movies or shows like the Godfather, Sopranos, Goodfellas etc etc. Given the way our culture is it should be no shock that he has his fans.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
How about the story on senior IRA members flying in to Canada and being met by Southie and Charlestown mobsters who were in Montreal via the Bruins tour bus....they would coordinate travel and meet ups based on the Bruins trips- flying in from Ireland into Canada because they were not admitted into the US because of prior transgressions.

Apparently this is in the book by Kevin Cullen who has been on the case for the Globe and was a guest with Dale this morning- just heard it on WEEI on demand....what a story. Many of the Boston based guys who apparently were funnelled explosives and guns from and including a rougue FBI agent loved their Bruins and explosives. The Boston guys would buck up and see who gets to stay in Montreal and go on a bender and watch the Bruins, the others had to 'work'...yikes

That doesn't quite ring true. If there were any charges pending against these guys they were at far greater risk traveling to the commonwealth of Canadia than they would be coming to the US (which is not to say they were able to get into the US.)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hey, I hate that guys post as much as anyone.

But lots of people love movies or shows like the Godfather, Sopranos, Goodfellas etc etc. Given the way our culture is it should be no shock that he has his fans.

But that stuff is make believe. This ******* is real life.

There is nothing heroic, noble, or admirable about this pos.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
But that stuff is make believe. This ******* is real life.

There is nothing heroic, noble, or admirable about this pos.

Yeah I don't disagree.

I am just making a point. THere are people who love mob movies, the culture, the aura etc in the same way that you and I love hockey. Its many peoples favorite genre of entertainment for them. Just because I might prefer a nice happy movie like Dumb and Dumber (my fav movie) to Goodfellas doesn't mean plenty of people don't like Goodfellas and have that as their favorite movie.

And... maybe people's favorite entertainment will carry strong emotional attachments just like our favorite entertainment (Bruins) do? Especially when you know for a fact that you are never going to become a proffesional mob killer, it makes it easier to romanticize and live vicariously through fictitious characters you know aren't real.

These guys are creeps and bullies and they are men who made large amounts of money because they are willing to do awful things 99% percent of regular people are not. Nothing more nothing less. And I am doing nothing more than being transparent and non hypocritical when I point out the fact that entertainment which encourages and glamourizes behavior like Bulgers is both put on a pedestal and thrown in people's faces. The guys who tell on mobsters and put them behind bars aren't glamourized in any movies, nor are the cops, nor are the innocent people who are murdered.

And I am someone who more often than not agrees with the unpopular party to the public in circumstances like this. I personally don't think Hernandez killed Oden Lloyd. I am 99% certain he didn't pull the trigger or organize and execute his murder. But I also know he is not completely innocent in the eyes of the law of any wrong doing. I know for a fact his hands are dirty in some way shape or form. And to me I don't know where I stand and what he deserves because obviously he was an accessory to a certain level, obviously he knows what happened, and obvoiusly he has to lie. Doesn't make him a murderer though and I hope he beats that charge (but not other necessarily.)

I think can figure out what happened and I think it was that as Lloyd became someone Hernandez trusted (dating the sister etc) he betrayed that trust and Hernandez felt he had to scare him. And then Lloyd pulled when Hernandez and his friends tried to scare him and teach him a lesson and ended up getting killed for doing so.

I brought up the Hernandez situation because I to many people just made tasteless post like Whiskey Seven did saying I think he's innocent. To most people it doesn't matter that my thoughts and opinions are plausable, I am defending a murderer.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
To prove my point go check out the movie posters in a store like Newbury Comics.

I can guarantee you they have posters of a certain prominent 30 year old movie for sale. And I can guarantee you that its not freakin ET its Scarface.

member 96824

And if people dont see the disconnect between movies, TV shows, etc. And real life...then theyre messed up in the head too.

Yeah Whitey, major props and respect for killing those women! Molesting 16 year olds, so badass!

I love the sopranos, scarface, godfather, and stuff like that...but I dont love, respect, or even want to breathe the same air as someone like Whitey Bulger.

Tattoo You

Mar 1, 2013
Crossfire Hurricane
Yeah I don't disagree.

I am just making a point.
epic_fail3.jpg

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yeah I don't disagree.

I am just making a point. THere are people who love mob movies, the culture, the aura etc in the same way that you and I love hockey. Its many peoples favorite genre of entertainment for them. Just because I might prefer a nice happy movie like Dumb and Dumber (my fav movie) to Goodfellas doesn't mean plenty of people don't like Goodfellas and have that as their favorite movie.

And... maybe people's favorite entertainment will carry strong emotional attachments just like our favorite entertainment (Bruins) do? Especially when you know for a fact that you are never going to become a proffesional mob killer, it makes it easier to romanticize and live vicariously through fictitious characters you know aren't real.

These guys are creeps and bullies and they are men who made large amounts of money because they are willing to do awful things 99% percent of regular people are not. Nothing more nothing less. And I am doing nothing more than being transparent and non hypocritical when I point out the fact that entertainment which encourages and glamourizes behavior like Bulgers is both put on a pedestal and thrown in people's faces. The guys who tell on mobsters and put them behind bars aren't glamourized in any movies, nor are the cops, nor are the innocent people who are murdered.

And I am someone who more often than not agrees with the unpopular party to the public in circumstances like this. I personally don't think Hernandez killed Oden Lloyd. I am 99% certain he didn't pull the trigger or organize and execute his murder. But I also know he is not completely innocent in the eyes of the law of any wrong doing. I know for a fact his hands are dirty in some way shape or form. And to me I don't know where I stand and what he deserves because obviously he was an accessory to a certain level, obviously he knows what happened, and obvoiusly he has to lie. Doesn't make him a murderer though and I hope he beats that charge (but not other necessarily.)

I think can figure out what happened and I think it was that as Lloyd became someone Hernandez trusted (dating the sister etc) he betrayed that trust and Hernandez felt he had to scare him. And then Lloyd pulled when Hernandez and his friends tried to scare him and teach him a lesson and ended up getting killed for doing so.

I brought up the Hernandez situation because I to many people just made tasteless post like Whiskey Seven did saying I think he's innocent. To most people it doesn't matter that my thoughts and opinions are plausable, I am defending a murderer.

Just what fakakta facts are you basing this?

Either way, good luck in your endeavors of defending a murderer.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
And if people dont see the disconnect between movies, TV shows, etc. And real life...then theyre messed up in the head too.

Yeah Whitey, major props and respect for killing those women! Molesting 16 year olds, so badass!

I love the sopranos, scarface, godfather, and stuff like that...but I dont love, respect, or even want to breathe the same air as someone like Whitey Bulger.

So you love the depiction of that lifestyle in movies/tv but hate the real life occurrences that go along with that lifestyle, does it just become to real for you? Personally, the characters in fictional mob movies/shows (a genre that never really interested me anyway) strike me as just as big of cowards as the ones who do it in real life and just glamorize the lifestyle. Then that creates the fascination with Whitey and even those who have "mad respect" for him.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
So you love the depiction of that lifestyle in movies/tv but hate the real life occurrences that go along with that lifestyle, does it just become to real for you? Personally, the characters in fictional mob movies/shows (a genre that never really interested me anyway) strike me as just as big of cowards as the ones who do it in real life and just glamorize the lifestyle. Then that creates the fascination with Whitey and even those who have "mad respect" for him.

my wife loves horror moives but I am pretty sure she dosen't support every day real life murderers.

there is a difference between reality and entertainment.

I like mob movies - I don't like what real mobsters do to innocent people.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
my wife loves horror moives but I am pretty sure she dosen't support every day real life murderers.

there is a difference between reality and entertainment.

I like mob movies - I don't like what real mobsters do to innocent people.

Yes I get the difference but thing is the idea of the mob and in turn mob movies were not just some imagined idea. It has roots in reality, and the reality it is rooted in is not pretty.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Yes I get the difference but thing is the idea of the mob and in turn mob movies were not just some imagined idea. It has roots in reality, and the reality it is rooted in is not pretty.

a lot of murder moive's are based in reality. Again my wife love's the lifetime type moives about abuse and things like that which are all based on real life. It does not mean she supports it in real life.

I am just saying that someone who likes mob movies it does not mean they like real life mob actions.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Goodfellas wasn't make believe. It was based on Henry Hill.

I said it in another topic but I saw one of the rappers on the label I work at shout out Bulger on is Instagram account saying "Free Uncle Whitey" Some people were responding how he is a "snitch" or w/e others didn't know who he was I tried to educate and say watch "Bullets over Boston"

I just found it funny a rapper would shout out Bulger. You know cuz of how South Boston's history of treating minorities :laugh: Doubt the rapper knew that tho.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Goodfellas wasn't make believe. It was based on Henry Hill.

I said it in another topic but I saw one of the rappers on the label I work at shout out Bulger on is Instagram account saying "Free Uncle Whitey" Some people were responding how he is a "snitch" or w/e others didn't know who he was I tried to educate and say watch "Bullets over Boston"

I just found it funny a rapper would shout out Bulger. You know cuz of how South Boston's history of treating minorities :laugh: Doubt the rapper knew that tho.

and the Departed was based on Whitey. doesn't mean it was not a good movie even though he is a *******.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Departed was awesome. I was just pointing out Goodfellas was based on someone and not just a story someone thought of.

I think 2 different studios are actually putting out Whitey movies

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The Departed was very loosely based on Whitey but it is really a remake of the 2002 Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs.

Yes I know. The point is a lot of movies are based on real life tragedies/horrors and just because you like that movie does not mean you condone the real life people that did the horrible things. Saying some likes what the mob did because they like mob movies is just not a true statement.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Most the Free Jahar people I have seen are stupid hipster kids who believe every tin foil theory they hear.

They make me feel violent

member 96824

Yes...just like I like Toy Story but dont want real life toys walking around. Entertainment is entertainment. "Mad respect" for a cold blooded murder, who ruined a part of Boston for decades is sickening.

I also enjoyed texas chainsaw massacre and the saw series....but certainly understand that it would be completely messed up to support or respect anyone that carried those out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad