Post-Game Talk: White Out on the Horizon, Jets 5 - Lames 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What is the logic of dressing a player that has played 7 more games than the other player and has less than half the points?
Because playoffs are a f***ing slog and having big guys who are quick, hard on the forecheck and don't give up a lot when they are on the ice are important.

Again, if you go back to my previous posts on this subject, I am not advocating for it. On the contrary I'm saying I want Cole in the top 6 and if it's at the expense of Barron it sucks but that's what a deep team has to deal with.

I was simply saying I do understand the argument. If Bowness dresses Cole and he isn't producing or is exposed physically/ defensively I would support him scratching him in favor of Barron.

I don't think that is going to happen. I find Cole to be sneakily strong, and I think he is an elite talent and those guys usually find a way in big games and situations.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It looks like he's a perfect fit ... Chevy should be able to sign him for 3 years ... $12-15M but if the Jets go deep and he does great in the playoffs a few teams will be interested and drive the price up. We know the Habs want him back.

Chatter seems to be that Monahan liked his time with MTL and is onboard with the rebuild there. I don't see him resigning here if the Habs are keeping a seat on the bench warm for him, which is fair enough.

If he heads back, it's an even nicer bit of business for the Habs -- 2 firsts for some retention on Monahan, plus I'd imagine a value re-signing if that's where he wants to be.

Reactions: robertocarlos

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Because playoffs are a f***ing slog and having big guys who are quick, hard on the forecheck and don't give up a lot when they are on the ice are important.

Again, if you go back to my previous posts on this subject, I am not advocating for it. On the contrary I'm saying I want Cole in the top 6 and if it's at the expense of Barron it sucks but that's what a deep team has to deal with.

I was simply saying I do understand the argument. If Bowness dresses Cole and he isn't producing or is exposed physically/ defensively I would support him scratching him in favor of Barron.

I don't think that is going to happen. I find Cole to be sneakily strong, and I think he is an elite talent and those guys usually find a way in big games and situations.

Agree and agree.

Barron may be the odd man out, at least initially. I expect him and others to find their way into the lineup over a longer series (or multiple series).

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I wonder if we keep Monahan ?
How much term and cap will it take? How much would be wise to give him?
I think Mono is a good fit for this Jets team, and has great scoring hands, and a good size as well. From what I read, and going by memory, he signed with Montreal at a discount, and taking $ 2mil per year, to prove he could stay injury free. Before that, he had 2 hip operations, when he was with Calgary, and was out for a long time. Since his hip operations, he's been injury free for about 1.5 years, so it looks like his hip operations were successful - same as Tyler Myers.

So, what is Mono worth, and should the Jets resign him ? I think they should resign him, and likely for around $ 4 mil per year ? Be interesting to see what other posters think of Monahan ? -- should the Jets try to resign him ? and how much is he worth ?

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I also get the logic behind dressing Baron in favor of Cole.

However, Perfetti can take the decision out of the coach's hands by continuing to produce while not playing a risky game. I think Bones wants Cole in the top 6 - he had no problem stapling him there and even leaving him there for quite a few games after his production and confidence fell off a cliff.
Yeah you would think if Cole keeps performing at a high level he stays where he is but we also didn't have Monohan/Toffoli back then and we had either Vilardi or Conner out parts of the time if my brain remembers correctly.
And Bowness has a penchant to stray away from what's working in favor of his preferred love couples. Obviously barring anything else changing it doesn't make sense to change anything while Nino is out, though Bowness may decide to sit a player here or there in the few games to get Gus and Kupari involved.

I don't think regarding Miller that he has played enough to really get into the flow of things. He does need to play a bit to get in a groove but the numbers game and the lay of most of our D makes it difficult to make a change. Stanley for one has really impressed lately.

If it turns out we can't catch Colorado for 2nd and home ice advantage and the mustard pukes can't catch us for 3rd after the next couple games we might see some NBA type load management.

Just have to wait and see but I'd absolutely love it if Perfetti made it absolutely impossible for Bowness to budge him from the top 6 because next season he is going to be depended on to be there and producing from the outset.

We may try to bring back Monohan but I don't feel we do the same with Toffifee.

Reactions: GNP and Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Good post. It's also about roles and how the coach wants to deploy.

Cole really isn't a great fit on a line asked to play straight line crash and bang hockey. That is how Bones seems to want the fourth to play.

I also don't think it's going to come to that as it seems like Bones is going to be looking at a top 9 offensive scheme. Against a team like Colorado there is only much you can limit the top line and top pairing. They will need strong offensive contributions from the other two lines to get by them imo. I'm not really worried about Cole physically. He doesn't avoid the physical contact and as shown as night can dish it out.

Also injuries happen so imo Barron or whoever gets into a number of games.

We were without Cole, Ehlers and Scheifele for most/all of last years playoffs.

PLD, Ehlers and Dubois missed games in 2021
Laine and Scheifele in 2020.

I think it will be a minor miracle If we have a relatively healthy group this postseason.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Good post. It's also about roles and how the coach wants to deploy.

Cole really isn't a great fit on a line asked to play straight line crash and bang hockey. That is how Bones seems to want the fourth to play.

I also don't think it's going to come to that as it seems like Bones is going to be looking at a top 9 offensive scheme. Against a team like Colorado there is only much you can limit the top line and top pairing. They will need strong offensive contributions from the other two lines to get by them imo. I'm not really worried about Cole physically. He doesn't avoid the physical contact and as shown as night can dish it out.

Also injuries happen so imo Barron or whoever gets into a number of games.

We were without Cole, Ehlers and Scheifele for most/all of last years playoffs.

PLD, Ehlers and Dubois missed games in 2021
Laine and Scheifele in 2020.

I think it will be a minor miracle If we have a relatively healthy group this postseason.
Yeah I can't see Cole playing consistently as a 4th line guy. Heck, Roslovic couldn't keep Matt Hendricks out of the lineup in our best year... just the way coaches roll.

I'll leave some room open to be impressed, but not going to make my expectations what I'd call unrealistic for line combos haha

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Mono is a good fit for this Jets team, and has great scoring hands, and a good size as well. From what I read, and going by memory, he signed with Montreal at a discount, and taking $ 2mil per year, to prove he could stay injury free. Before that, he had 2 hip operations, when he was with Calgary, and was out for a long time. Since his hip operations, he's been injury free for about 1.5 years, so it looks like his hip operations were successful - same as Tyler Myers.

So, what is Mono worth, and should the Jets resign him ? I think they should resign him, and likely for around $ 4 mil per year ? Be interesting to see what other posters think of Monahan ? -- should the Jets try to resign him ? and how much is he worth ?

I agree he has been a good fit so far and I'm inclined to keep him. I won't be ready to commit until the Jets are golfing.

It is too soon to get into the specifics of term and AAV, IMO. But when the time comes it will be a matter of compromising between what he thinks he can get on the UFA market and what Jets can and should allocate to him.

With the number of pending UFAs we have, it is hard to know where to spend first and how much will be left for everyone else. We only have 4 NHL Dmen under contract for next year plus RFA Stanley. Two of those 4 are overpaid players who most of us would like to move on from.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah I can't see Cole playing consistently as a 4th line guy. Heck, Roslovic couldn't keep Matt Hendricks out of the lineup in our best year... just the way coaches roll.

I'll leave some room open to be impressed, but not going to make my expectations what I'd call unrealistic for line combos haha
Cole will not be playing 4th line - it's not his game. And I'm not referring to crash / bang which our 4th is not.
More about the speed and high energy those guys bring - always in pursuit, creating turnovers and hopefully setting things up for a ozone faceoff for the top line to step in - that's about all Bones wants and it's not for everyone.
Cole will need to hold his own against those tough teams coming up if he expects to be in the PO lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cole will not be playing 4th line - it's not his game. And I'm not referring to crash / bang which our 4th is not.
More about the speed and high energy those guys bring - always in pursuit, creating turnovers and hopefully setting things up for a ozone faceoff for the top line to step in - that's about all Bones wants and it's not for everyone.
Cole will need to hold his own against those tough teams coming up if he expects to be in the PO lineup.

He can hold his own just fine. None of those teams are more physical then the two teams we just played.

Also we are almost assuredly playing Colorado in round 1 and they are a speed/finesse based team first and foremost.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He can hold his own just fine. None of those teams are more physical then the two teams we just played.

Also we are almost assuredly playing Colorado in round 1 and they are a speed/finesse based team first and foremost.
It's not the physical (or at least not just the physical) - those teams are heavy and fast and will be a challenge for Cole no matter how much we love him.
I hope he sticks - he's been working hard - but I'm not going to assume anything until I see how he holds up.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Chatter seems to be that Monahan liked his time with MTL and is onboard with the rebuild there. I don't see him resigning here if the Habs are keeping a seat on the bench warm for him, which is fair enough.

If he heads back, it's an even nicer bit of business for the Habs -- 2 firsts for some retention on Monahan, plus I'd imagine a value re-signing if that's where he wants to be.
True, but some of the same chatterers insisted PLD was going to Montreal without giving up any assets.

I like Montreal too and could easily understand why Monahan may want to go back there. At the same time I'm not convinced his window matches Montreal's window for competing so I guess it will come down to his goals. If the goal is a cup or a competitive team, currently that plays in our favor. Conversely Chevy has some contracting to do and some tough decisions to make, so even if we really want to sign him, he may not fit within Chevy's vision. I do think our need for an effective 2C remains very high as I'm not yet convinced Perfetti fills that role.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013

This was just a a little after the 1st switch, so not sure what the final metrics by lines are:

Seems like no one is on a line consistently enough to claim ownership and develop chemistry. It's the end of the season and constant change is still the norm.......Bones is almost the opposite of Maurice. But ,hey......were in the playoffs quicker than ever before.

Reactions: Buffdog

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sneak in?

We've been listed by Moneypuck and others at higher than 98% to make the playoffs since the end of December. We've clinched a spot ahead of the Maple Leafs and ahead of the Oilers. We just won two games to punch our ticket.

Sneaked in?
I mean during the off-season everybody writes us off.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
After the PLD trade and Wheeler buyout ppl were optimistic. Many on here had the Jets a division favorite for the top 2-3, and alot of the more popular objective /stats based analysts had us comfortably as a PO team.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not everybody wrote us off, just the vocal minority of Negative-Nellies

They also wrote us off a week ago. I guess we'll have to decide whether or not they are allowed back on the bandwagon

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It's based mostly on who Bowness has sat when someone needed to be sat due to roster limits. It has rotated amongst the same few players all season, not just something I pulled out of my ass. Don't appreciate the implied snark in your response. You don't know 100% that Perfetti won't be out of the lineup in a week or so. None of us other than Bowness knows what he's going to do. Go away.
Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad