Which Trade was Burke's best *** Reset April 28, 2014 ***

hockeyfanz*

Im going with the acquisiton of Gardiner/Lupul. Beauchemin turned out pretty damn good for Anaheim too..was a good trade fro both teams.

Gardiner could become something special and Lupul at the very least is a decent asset and can be used a bargaining chip. He is in his own right a good hockey player as well.

The whole Dion Phaneuf for scraps? Meh...depends on your viewpoint on Phaneuf. I kinda wish they went in a different direction myself. Not enamoured with Phaneuf for 7 more years

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I choose Lups and Gards.

When those two are on their game they can carry the team. I do think that Phaneuf was a steal too - but I'd pick two good players over one every time. Which is a main reason why everyone isn't a fan of the Kessel deal right? But I won't open that can

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
where are all the kessel trade defender mouth pieces right now.

should ya all not be ripping on the OP for the fact that 2 of these trades never happened?:sarcasm:

hockeyfanz*

I suppose a case could be made for some pre-expansion era players but how many of us got to watch them play?

Yes...not being sarcastic but are apps/conacher/sawchuk considered by some to be top 10 players or all time?

Gretz/Orr/Lemieux/Howe/Richard are in most peoples top 10....but after that?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Why is the Kaberle trade garnering votes ??

Liles cost us a buyout
Colborne got us a 4th
and Biggs isn't looking like anything more than a bottom 6 guy at best

Also , what about Schenn for JVR ?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Poll was started over 3 years ago before the JVR/Schenn deal, it wasn't consummated yet. Reason why it wasn't included.

Disgruntled Observer*

Beauchemin was a free agent pick up that quickly turned into Gardiner and Lupul.
Gotta go with that one.
One of the only good things Burke did during his reign of terror.

Phaneuf trade a close second. Sure, we gave up scraps for him... but his trade value was ridiculously low at that point.

Tyler Biggs*

Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin? Now that was a good trade!

The Lupul/Gardiner deal was pure robbery.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I found an article about all of Burke's trades, and it lists the Versteeg trade as the 4th worst? I cannot believe that. The way I look at it though, Burke made a whole bunch of crappy trades, and only a few bold ones. Plus he didn't do a great job at drafting either. It's not all on him, but the picks that seemed to fail were either guys who were later picks, and/or had the Burke touch on them (Biggs, Everson, Ross, etc.). Worst trade was the Biggs trade though.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Poll was started over 3 years ago before the JVR/Schenn deal, it wasn't consummated yet. Reason why it wasn't included.

That makes sense.

I think overall the best trade was Lupes/Gards. Say what you will about Burke, but the guy knew how to trade. For all the hate Phaneuf gets, still remember the day we fleeced Calgary with all those spare parts. I would say both of those from this list would be close.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Weird bump. At the time, pre-JVR trade, it was Phaenuf for free, followed by Gards/Lupul for Beauch. Now I'd put the JVR trade at the top.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How about getting rid of Toskala and Blake on the same deal?

how about it ?

we traded a soon to be ufa who was instantly moved along to the Flames for nothing and a decent 3rd liner for a 6 mil dollar back up goalie

anyone is tradeable if you take back an equal amount of trash

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That makes sense.

I think overall the best trade was Lupes/Gards. Say what you will about Burke, but the guy knew how to trade. For all the hate Phaneuf gets, still remember the day we fleeced Calgary with all those spare parts. I would say both of those from this list would be close.

To me it's Phaneuf, I look at the players we gave up and none were as good as Beauchemin has been for ANA. I am convinced if Beauchemin stayed with us and played for RC, he would be a valued asset with us today. Thus I give the edge to the Dion trade.

To get Phaneuf and Ashton(from the Aulie deal) for basically Stajan, is a deal that has to rank up there as our best all-time.

If Ashton takes a step fwd this year and plays to his AHL play, the deal will even be better.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
^^^this^^^
Would be easier to get behind this one if the team wasn't desperately trying to shore up the defence with big, shut-down guys.

Kind of crazy to think that at one point in time "-3 in a 9 to 3 win" for Franson would have been hands down the best deal. I wouldn't give it to the Lupul/Gardiner trade simply because the best player in the deal was traded away. I'd give it to the Phaneuf trade for sheer value or the Kessel trade for bringing in an elite asset for lesser pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad